Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292453 times)

RossRoy

RossRoy's Random Viewings
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:40:41 PM »
So I thought I'd join the fray, and have my own threads for reviews of what I watch.

I'll ask you all to please excuse my writing, I'm not really good at it, but I hope to improve with time.

Feel free to comment on anything.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:24:31 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »
Oh My Goddess!: Volume 1

Original Title: Aa! Megamisama!
Year: 1993
Director: Hiroaki Goda
Rating: NR
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo, English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Backstory
Well, since this is basically the first review of Anime I'm doing, I thought I should talk about where I'm coming from, and my experience with Anime, to be able to put this review in context.

So, if we don't count americanized versions of anime shows I saw when I was younger (Thundercats, Voltron, Goldorak), my first introduction to Anime was in 2002, when I bought Steel Angel Kurumi completely blind. I discovered it by reading a quote from the show in somebody's forum signature. So I did a little research, found what it was, thought it was interesting, and bought. I was hooked, right then and there. Since then, I've basically bought everything I've seen so far as blind buys, but I have yet to be truly disappointed in anything. So far, I've watched stuff like Noir, Miami Guns, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Witch Hunter Robin, Escaflowne, etc. And I've found something to like in every one of them.

I still shop for Anime the same way as before though. Basically, RightStuf.com's big clearout sales, reviews of Anime I stumble accross, or browsing other people's collection (such as Tom's or Erik's over at Invelos). I usally try to read a little more about what I'm about to buy, but it's usually limited to AnimeOnDVD.com reviews, the Anime-Planet.com recommendation Db and IMDb's user comments. If the overall is positive, or if something I've seen is recommended in the recommendation Db, it will usually get my interest, and I might buy it.

My thoughts (on all 3 episodes collectively)
So, after saying that, what did I think of Oh My Goddess? I like it a lot. Granted, the basic plot is rather simple: clichéd inept young man falls in love with an overly shy girl, and it grows from there. The humour in the show is great, with the awkward "kiss or kiss not" moments, the sisters coming into play, some pushing for it to work, others to make it fail. The "goddess" angle ultimately adds little to the story so far, except the occasional use of powers, but it could be building to something interesting, we'll see, but they only have 2 episodes left to go.

Overall, this is a well executed simple little story, with enough twists with the introduction of new characters. It shows promise, but I'm guessing it'll truly shine in the TV series form, rather than this short OVA.

Rating:  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:14:15 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:51:19 PM »
I think this thread is gonna be interesting what with all the anime who have bought recently   ;D

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
I think this thread is gonna be interesting what with all the anime who have bought recently   ;D

Only time will tell. I have so much stuff that I've yet to watch, it's actually scary and quite daunting! I'm actually hoping this thread will make me watch stuff more regularly. What I'm hoping to do is get into a sort of rotation between movies, anime and TV series. We'll see how it goes.

Oh and I've finally updated the above post with my review of Volume 1, if anyone is interested and not too bored by what I have to say  ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:07:51 AM »
It shows promise, but I'm guessing it'll truly shine in the TV series form, rather than this short OVA.
In my opinion, you are guessing correctly :)
I really loved the way they handled the story in the TV series. They did the manga justice.

As you have described your experience with anime, I will loose a few words of my experience with. Not counting my childhood anime experiences (Saber Rider, Ulysseus 31,...), I have avoided anime for a long time. I didn't want to get sucked into that hype  :laugh:
Until the end of 2006: A few collegues and I have gone to the theater to watch a special showing of Neon Genesis Evangelion. This opened up my interest for anime. Since then I have watched stuff like Full Metal Panic, Noir, Gunslinger Girl, Midori no hibi, Ah My Goddess, Ai Yori Aoshi, Elfen Lied, Azumanga Daioh.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:09:52 AM »
My niece and nephews (ages 7, 5, 3, and 2) like me check this site with them. They always yell "Hello Kathy" that comes on once I log in. Once they saw Sebastien's DVD covers the first thing they want to look at is "RossRoy pictures". They simply love the colorful covers of the Anime DVDs.

Are there any appropriate for children this age? I'd like to get them some plus it might be a great way for them to learn another language!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
Are there any appropriate for children this age?

I cannot speak of most of RossRoys anime DVDs, but if they are similar to those that I watch, then I do not think that they are appropriate for children of that age. I would say they should be at least 12, or for some of them at least 16.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »
Years ago I used to read Manga magazine and I won one of their competitions. The prize was a couple of Anime videos, both aimed at a younger audience. One was silly and I got rid of it. I thought both would be rubbish, but I really enjoyed the second:

Moldiver

It's a funny, light superhero story, and although aimed at kids (BBFC rate it as PG), more than a bit cheeky as I remember!

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:06:41 AM »
As an introduction to Anime, I guess I'd have to recommend the Miyasaki movies. They're not as big an investment as some series might end up being, and most are more that suitable for kids.

That's tough one. I'm not really all that knowledgeable with Anime to be honest, but most of the stuff I have here is definitely NOT for children (Gantz, Noir).

Here's two that AnimeOnDVD.com recommends for kids (although one of them I'm guessing they already know):

Panda Go Panda
Pokemon

As an introduction to Anime, I guess I'd have to recommend the Miyasaki movies. They're not as big an investment as some series might end up being, and most are more that suitable for kids.

Howl's Moving Castle (PG)
Spirited Away (PG)
Princess Monoke (PG-13)
Porco Rosso (PG)
Kiki's Delivery Service (G)
My Neighbor Totoro (G)
Castle in the Sky (US: Unrated / Can: PG)
Nausicaä (PG)
The Castle of Cagliostro (PG-13)

Or, not by Miyasaki but I loved it nonetheless: Steamboy (PG)

EDIT:

I said the Miyasaki movies, but now that I think of it, I meant the Studio Ghibli movies: including The Cat Returns, of course, as well as Whisper of the Heart
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:28:47 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:16:24 AM »
I can also recommend The Cat Returns (G)

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »
Moldiver

One word on the Wiki page was enough to make that interesting: Mecha!

I'm a sucker for mecha-type anime: Evangelion, Escaflowne, Appleseed, etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:29:12 AM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 04:40:38 AM »
Oh My Goddess!: Volume 2

Original Title: Aa! Megamisama!
Year: 1993
Director: Hiroaki Goda
Rating: NR
Length: 67 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

What they say
4. EVERGREEN HOLY NIGHT
Keiichi's life finally seems to be getting back to normal (or at least as normal as life gets when you live in a temple with 3 goddesses!). Yes, he does get strange dreams, and yes, Urd and Skuld are a pain, but what the heck - his girlfriend is truly divine! Alas, System Bugs are escaping from the Heavens, upsetting the balance of the Earthly Plane. Skuld gets on the case, and soon discovers that whenever Belldandy and Keiichi get close, a Bug Exhaust Port is formed. Until the problem is solved, Belldandy and Keiichi can't be together. Then Belldandy gets a Notice of Recall from the Lord. She has to go back to the Heavens, or else!

5. FOR THE LOVE OF GODDESS
You'd think with a goddess as a girlfriend, Keiichi's life would be Heaven, but the fact is, it's coming to resemble the OTHER after-life address. If he even gets close to Belldandy, Bugs escape onto the Earthly Plane and foul up the works. Worse, the Lord has slapped her with a Recall Notice. In two days, she has to relocate home to Heaven. As the clock ticks down, Belldandy must begin to erase herself from Keiichi's life and memory. And Keiichi? He's working his fingers to the bone so he can buy a ring for Belldandy. A ring that will fulfill a promise... a promise he doesn't remember making!

My thoughts
These 2 last episodes of the OVA bring a nice ending to the story. There's even a nice twist of sort thrown in for good measure. But I can't help feel that something's missing. It's probably simply the fact that it is too short. They don't have time to really flesh out the relationships and establish some kind of rapport between the viewer and the characters. They spent all three episodes of volume 1 presenting the characters, and now, in volume 2, it seems like they are rushing through the grunt of the story. I'm under the impression that even just 1 more episode would've helped.

That being said, I still liked every minute of it. It is still a nice, lighthearted romantic comedy, that is short enough for a single evening viewing. Can't wait for the movie and series, that I should view soon!

Rating: ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »
I'm a sucker for mecha-type anime: Evangelion, Escaflowne, Appleseed, etc.
Did you see Full Metal Panic? Great series with a nice mixture of comedy, mecha action and romance. Even though it contains mecha action, I also highly recommend it to people who do not like mecha action.

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »
Did you see Full Metal Panic?

I heard of it. Haven't had the chance to check it out though. But thanks for the heads up!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
Did you see Full Metal Panic?

I heard of it. Haven't had the chance to check it out though. But thanks for the heads up!

But I highly suggest to not seek out the trailer: It is the worst trailer I have ever seen. It does not even remotely convey how great the series is. If I had seen the trailer before I had a chance to see this series, I would have never watched it!