Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292376 times)

Critter

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #675 on: January 03, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
Do I need to start filling in some paperwork to make you two honourary Brits? :laugh: You'll have to learn how to spell though... :whistle:
:laugh:

Oh it's pretty easy. Just add a 'u' into all of the words where there should rightfully be one.  :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #676 on: January 03, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
Do I need to start filling in some paperwork to make you two honourary Brits? :laugh: You'll have to learn how to spell though... :whistle:

Aren't I already one just by the mere fact we share a Queen?  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #677 on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »

Aren't I already one just by the mere fact we share a Queen?  :laugh:

Get your own queen, saucy.  :-*

:hysterical:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 03, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
Buffalo is "The Queen City" which trumps your lonely Queen!  :tease:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
But she is the chief of our army and our chief of state also. The joy of being an ex-colony :laugh:

BTW why aren't we English citizen de-facto because of that :whistle:
The French welcome us French Canadian with open arms :laugh:

Buffalo is "The Queen City" which trumps your lonely Queen!  :tease:
You already have a Queen District (I'm sure it isn't the way it's called, but I don't know the real name :whistle:) in New-York, you sure love the Queen in your States :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:33:14 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 03, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »
I know a few drama queens, does that count for anything? :P

kahless

« Reply #681 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »
I know a few drama queens, does that count for anything? :P

:hysterical:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #682 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:06 AM »

Doesn't my Doctor Who obsession take care of that? ;)
Heck...I've always had trouble with spelling..why change now?
 :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #683 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:45 AM »
District 9
WHAT THEY SAY
From producer Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings Trilogy) and director Neill Blomkamp comes a startingly original science-fiction thriller that "soars on the imagination of its creators" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone). With stunning special effects and gritty realism, the film plunges us into a world where the aliens have landed... only to be exiled to a slum on the fringes of Johannesburg. Now, one lone human discovers the mysterious secret of the extraterrestrial weapon technology. Hunted and hounded through the bizarre back alleys of an alien shantytown, he will discover what it means to be the ultimate outsider on your own planet.

MY THOUGHTS
WOW! I loved this movie!

I loved the documentary look and how seemlessly the special effects integrate in the image. At times, I forgot they were special effects. The creature effects in particular are really well executed. The bipedal tank at the end of the movie is awesome too!

The movie has just the right amount of gore for the type of movie it is. Love the effects of the zapper with the exploding humans left and right!

And you know what makes this work so well? It is not too far fetched to imagine this happening in the real world. An alien ship lands on Earth. So what do we do? Ghetto them into a slum and exploit them. Typical. You don't even need to be alien for this to happen.

Anyways, great sci-fi action flick.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #684 on: January 05, 2011, 05:17:54 AM »
The Last Airbender
WHAT THEY SAY
Experience the thrilling live-action adventure based on the hit Nickelodeon series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Join Aang, an extraordinary boy with incredible "bending" powers, as he journeys through an exotic land filled with magical creatures and powerful friends. As the Avatar, he is the only one who can end the age-old conflict between the four nations, Air, Water, Earth and Fire. An inspirational journey, The Last Airbender is exciting entertainment for the entire family!

MY THOUGHTS
Ok, right off the bat, I've only seen a few episodes here and there from the animated series, so no comparison of the two for me.

As a whole? I enjoyed it. It's far the mess I was expecting from the reviews I read all around. I mean 6% on Tomato and 4.5 on IMDb? That's a bit harsh. I can understand being disappointed by it, but to outright hate it that much? There's not that much to hate.

Yes, it's a special effects movie, no question there. The so-called plot is there only to move the characters to new locale and give them some sort of reason to fight. Other than that, it's all about the fight. And you know what? While I would've liked it to have more "dancing" and more side effects from using the elements to fight, I still found the fights quite interesting and well choreographed. The element effects were really well done in pretty much cases, not much to complain about there.

I love during the final fight at the northern water city about the camera slows up to show the water picking up the Fire soldiers off the ground. All in all, I thought it really well done.

I really don't get all the hate this got, and probably still gets... Unless it's one of those case where you write and say that you hate it, but secretly, you have the burned copy in the bottom drawer ;)

RATING

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #685 on: January 05, 2011, 06:38:16 AM »
I liked it when I saw it too.  Yes there were a few problems, but it wasn't as horrible as so many reviews claimed.  I enjoyed it.

RossRoy

« Reply #686 on: May 19, 2011, 03:08:14 AM »
No! As you may, or may not, have noticed (just look at my watched banner!) I've been watching Lost again, from the start.

Everything was going fine, until I got to Season 5, Disc 5. The season finale of all things! Guess what? Defective disc!

I hate that ...

In retrospect? Really happy nobody took my single season releases back when I offered them ;)

Just hope BVHE will still agree to send a replacement disc ...

RossRoy

Black Snake Moan
« Reply #687 on: May 29, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
     Black Snake Moan (2006/United States)

(Canada)
Director:Craig Brewer
Writing:Craig Brewer (Written By)
Length:115 min.
Stars:Samuel L. Jackson as Lazarus
Christina Ricci as Rae
Justin Timberlake as Ronnie
S. Epatha Merkerson as Angela
John Cothran as Reverend R. L.

PLOT
In this tale of love, loss and faith, Academy Award® Nominee Samuel L. Jackson ('Pulp Fiction', 'Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith') and Christina Ricci ('Sleepy Hollow') seek redemption Down South through the power of the blues and the transcendence of an unlikely friendship.

My Thoughts:
I liked it a lot. I didn't expect to like it that much actually.
The actors did a terrific job, especially Jackson and Ricci. I expected to be annoyed by Justin Timberlake .. but no. He sells the part well.
The music in the movie is great too.
A pretty good, if sometimes raw, drama, but with an uplifting ending.

Rating:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:36:30 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 29, 2011, 07:43:31 AM »
I had Blake Snake Moan and and off my radar several times. Just wish listed it again...

RossRoy

« Reply #689 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Well, is it release day, full price worth? Probably not .. but it's been out a while, so you probably can find it pretty cheap, if so, Totally worth it.