Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292454 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2010, 05:41:11 AM »
So far I've only found 4 episodes of Torchwood on BBC America.  I have no idea if they are in order or not. 

Well Gwen is already an established member if the episodes I've seen so far.  One had these creatures that some people though were fairies.  That was the first one I watched.  The second one had the team planning to camp out in basically the middle of nowhere to investigate the disappearance of like 17 people in that area recently. 

I still have 2 more episodes on my DVR to watch..and that is the last of them for who knows how long.  Torchwood isn't going to be on again within the next week anyway.  I'll see what the titles of the episodes are later.  I should have another Doctor Who to watch too.  I think the last Doctor Who I watched was School Reunion.  I like Sarah Jane.  And I figured out that she was in the old episodes I saw years ago.  I remembered K9 too.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #646 on: December 02, 2010, 05:47:31 AM »
I was just doing some looking.  It looks like I started with episode 5 of the first season.  I also watched 6...7 and 8 are on the DVR.

RossRoy

« Reply #647 on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »
Jonah Hex
WHAT THEY SAY
OUT OF THE PAGES OF THE LEGENDARY COMICS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS STEPS JONAH HEX (Josh Brolin), a scarred drifter and bounty hunter of last resort who has survived death and can track anyone...and anything. Jonah's violent history is steeped in myth and legend and has left him with one foot in the natural world and one on the "other side." His one human connection is with Lilah (Megan Fox), where life in a brothel has left her with scars of her own. But Jonah's past catches up with him when the U.S. military makes him an offer he can't refuse: to wipe out the warrants on his head, he must hunt and stop dangerous terrorist Quentin Turnbull (John Malkovich). But Turnbull, now gathering an army and preparing to unleash Hell, is also Jonah's oldest enemy and will stop at nothing until Jonah is dead.

MY THOUGHTS
What to say? Guess you could say it's your run-of-the-mill, drab, soulless revenge story. Nothing stands out in this. A few pretty big explosions, some interesting weapon design. That's about it.

Boring story. Bland acting. Uninspired direction. Only redeeming quality, and that's not much, Megan Fox manages to not look like a tramp all the time. Guess that's something, considering she plays a whore.

RATING

Rogmeister

« Reply #648 on: December 05, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
For what it's worth, I've been waiting for someone to review this movie!  ::)  I was tempted to see this movie since I am a western film fan AND I used to read his comic book back in the 1970s.  Of course, I heard this happened to be a pretty horrible film so I stayed away.  Now I'm glad to hear that seems to be a wise decision.   :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #649 on: December 06, 2010, 06:59:32 AM »
Watchmen

MY THOUGHTS
Woah! This movie just drags on and on and on. And to make matters worse, I have the so-called "Ultimate Cut" clocking in at over 3½ hours!

And what happens over those 3½ hours? Barely anything at all! I mean, for a so-called "superhero" movie, they don't do much "superhero-ing". Oh sure, the few set pieces here and there are nice, but they are far and away, and not much to keep interest while connecting them together. But I have to admit, if you do stick around and trudge through it all, the fight scenes are awesome! They are gruesome, well choreographed, well photographed and heck they don't abuse the slo-mo surprisingly! I found it was done just right.

Also, I get that they call it "the ultimate cut" and all but... what's the point of including the "Black Freighter" segments? Mind you, I think I like them more than the movie itself, but still, why were they there?

So anyway, if after reading my review, and the others on this site, you are still interested in Watchmen. Do yourself a favor. Buy the Theatrical Cut. You won't have to wait as long between the interesting scenes.

RATING

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 06, 2010, 07:21:41 AM »
And what happens over those 3½ hours? Barely anything at all! I mean, for a so-called "superhero" movie, they don't do much "superhero-ing".
You went in this with the wrong expectation, disappointment was bound to happen. Maybe the trailers were misguiding, but this is not a superhero movie. Heck, there almost isn't even any heroes in this one :laugh:

However, your comment regarding the runtime and that it may feel too long is clearly a valid opinion.

Also, I get that they call it "the ultimate cut" and all but... what's the point of including the "Black Freighter" segments? Mind you, I think I like them more than the movie itself, but still, why were they there?
It's a fan service. It's in the novel, so they also put it here. I also liked it a lot and I thought it mirrored the main story rather well.

There is a Director's Cut, that came out earlier than this and only includes the added live-action scenes, or even the Theatrical Cut, which came out first.

RossRoy

« Reply #651 on: December 06, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »
And what happens over those 3½ hours? Barely anything at all! I mean, for a so-called "superhero" movie, they don't do much "superhero-ing".
You went in this with the wrong expectation, disappointment was bound to happen. Maybe the trailers were misguiding, but this is not a superhero movie. Heck, there almost isn't even any heroes in this one :laugh:

I actually don't know what I was expecting. But I can tell you I certainly was not expecting costumed vigilante moping about previous glory with a backdrop of impending nuclear war. Especially not dragging for 3+ hours  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #652 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
I assume you haven't read the book. That, Sir, was your first mistake.  :redcard: The Tales Of The Black Freighter work brilliantly in the book, which also has a better ending (though an ending they really could not have done on film).

Basically, Watchmen was always unfilmable and Snyder has proved it. That said, I do think it's a great film and as good as it was ever going to be. Haven't seen the Ultimate Cut yet...

RossRoy

« Reply #653 on: December 06, 2010, 09:28:56 PM »
I assume you haven't read the book. That, Sir, was your first mistake.  :redcard:

When did reading a book become a prerequisite to enjoy a movie?  :headscratch:

And you are right, I haven't read the book ... and don't think I ever will ...

Najemikon

« Reply #654 on: December 06, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »
No, not a pre-requisite to enjoying the film (though a better understanding of the story would have helped), but simply because this particular story is truly unfilmable, as its subtleties and elegance are unavoidably lost. And now you are likely to always avoid the comic, which is one of the best ever written. It's a double-whammy and a shame.  :shrug:

I'm only pulling your leg though, because of course it's impossible to tell what adaptation gets it right and which one doesn't.

RossRoy

« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
I've never really liked comic books. I tried reading Frank Miller's Sin City and I just couldn't get into it for some reason...

Najemikon

« Reply #656 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »
Bit over-stylised for my liking...

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 06, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »
When did reading a book become a prerequisite to enjoy a movie?  :headscratch:

As I was saying in reply to Jon's review, I hadn't (and still haven't) read the comic and I was thoroughly surprised how much I liked the movie (director's cut) as a broody and mature take on the superhero genre.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:25:02 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

RossRoy

« Reply #658 on: December 06, 2010, 11:47:06 PM »
I did try a few comic books though, Sin City is the first that came to mind, because it's the most recent one I tried reading. But I don't care for them much. It's like they should really be using a few more pages and have each illustration less cramped. I get headaches trying to decipher it all  :bag:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
When did reading a book become a prerequisite to enjoy a movie?  :headscratch:
Never, usually when I've read the book I'm unable to enjoy a movie and it's easy to know why. I've already made the movie in my head while reading and no film can't beat my imagination (wich is not filled with bad CGI, headache inducing MTV edit, annoying loud music, bad casting choices and non-sense story changes).