Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292474 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #510 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:25 AM »
I completely agree with Richard Harris bringing something special to the part of Dumbledore.  He was prefect in the part and fit it much better than Michael Gambon..but that doesn't mean I think Gambon is bad in the part.  His Dumbledore just isn't the same.  I agree I would have liked to see Harris in the later movies. 

Yeah Michael Gambon (thanks for reminding me!) does a good job too. And I really like how he doesn't try to emulated Harris' Dumbledore. He does his thing, and I appreciate it like that.

Still, something was lost in the transition. Like you said, Richard Harris was such a perfect cast.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #511 on: July 05, 2010, 04:58:42 AM »
I completely agree with Richard Harris bringing something special to the part of Dumbledore.  He was prefect in the part and fit it much better than Michael Gambon..but that doesn't mean I think Gambon is bad in the part.  His Dumbledore just isn't the same.  I agree I would have liked to see Harris in the later movies. 

Yeah Michael Gambon (thanks for reminding me!) does a good job too. And I really like how he doesn't try to emulated Harris' Dumbledore. He does his thing, and I appreciate it like that.

Still, something was lost in the transition. Like you said, Richard Harris was such a perfect cast.

It is good that he doesn't try to emulate Harris...that probably wouldn't have worked.  There was something special about Harris as Dumbledore that is missing from Gambon's take on the character.  For me, Harris is how I pictured Dumbledore when reading the books.  I think he is more like Dumbledore from the books.

RossRoy

« Reply #512 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17:03 AM »
Right from the first movie, there seemed to be a connection between Richard Harris and Daniel Radcliffe. Kind of like a father/son relationship. Which fits the books perfectly. Gambon seems a bit colder, more distanced.

It goes to show how much the intangible, the body language speaks.

I always remember that little wink (I think it's right after Harry gets sorted in Gryffindor in the first movie) Dumbledore gives to Harry. it is possible to read a so much into that simple wink. The face Richard Harris with that wink - kind of like I know what just happened, don't worry, all's going to be alright. And it lasts only a second or two.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #513 on: July 05, 2010, 06:49:38 AM »
Right from the first movie, there seemed to be a connection between Richard Harris and Daniel Radcliffe. Kind of like a father/son relationship. Which fits the books perfectly. Gambon seems a bit colder, more distanced.

It goes to show how much the intangible, the body language speaks.

I always remember that little wink (I think it's right after Harry gets sorted in Gryffindor in the first movie) Dumbledore gives to Harry. it is possible to read a so much into that simple wink. The face Richard Harris with that wink - kind of like I know what just happened, don't worry, all's going to be alright. And it lasts only a second or two.

That's it exactly.  There is definitely more of a connection between Harris and Radcliffe....and that translates into more of a connection between the characters.  The little things - like that wink you mentioned - show how Dumbledore is interested in Harry from the beginning.  That connection isn't there with Gambon.

Harris had a bit of ....mischief in how he played the part I think that is missing with Gambon most of the time.  There was a bit of it in the third movie, but not much.  Like at the end of the first movie when Dumbledore visits Harry and tries one of the jelly beans and gets the ear wax.

RossRoy

« Reply #514 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
Fanboys
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #8
WHAT THEY SAY
Get ready for the comedy adventure that’s “smart, funny, and tailor-made for the inner-Jedi in all of us,” (Pete Hammond, Hollywood.com). In 1998, four childhood buddies with a shared love for all things Star Wars reunite for one final, hilarious odyssey. Their insane plan: a cross-country road trip to storm George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch and steal a copy of Episode I before it’s released. With the police, a crew of angry Trekkies, and a crazy pimp hot on their trail, what could possibly go wrong? Featuring Dan Fogler (Balls of Fury), Jay Baruchel (Tropic Thunder), and Kristen Bell (Forgetting Sarah Marshall), plus a slew of hysterical surprise cameos, “the Force IS strong with this one!” (Brian Gallagher, MovieWeb)

MY THOUGHTS
This movie was funny. There are some great flashes and nods to Star Wars in how the scenes are set up. A few great cameos by Star Wars cast members.. but also one cameo by someone who has nothing at all to do with Star Wars but I found it really funny.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:30:18 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #515 on: July 06, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
The Voyeur
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #9
WHAT THEY SAY
At a college in Rome, a professor, nicknamed "Dodo" is in a deep depression. His stunningly beautiful wife has just left him for another man. Dodo wants her back very badly and has erotic daydreams about her. A beautiful young student in his class asks him for a ride home and seduces the lucky man, but still he wonders about his wife and her lover. Wile visiting his father he meets his dad's very sexy live-in nurse who takes care of much more then his broken leg. She tells Dodo of a beautiful young woman whose been having a sexual relationship with his father?

MY THOUGHTS
While I may not be in a position to actually say it, after all you can count on a single hand the number of erotic movies I've watched in my whole life, but this seemed like a rather typical cliched erotic movie. By that, I mean that the "plot" pretty much takes a backseat in order to put our main protagonist in erotic situations.

So as far as my little "experience" with erotic movies go, I enjoyed this one, despite it being in italian with subtitles!.
The guy's wife is absolutely stunning! She's worth the price of entry by herself. The other girls are just icing on the cake.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:30:32 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #516 on: July 08, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »
I Am Legend
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #10
WHAT THEY SAY
The last man on earth is not alone. Will Smith plays that lone survivor in 'I Am Legend', the action epic fusing heart-pounding excitement with a mind-blowing vision of a desolate Manhattan. Somehow immune to an unstoppable, incurable virus, military virologist Robert Neville (Smith) is now the last human survivor in New York City and maybe the world. Mutant plague victims lurk in the shadows...watching Neville's every move...waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find an antidote using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered...and quickly running out of time.

MY THOUGHTS
Pretty interesting movie. As usual, I didn't care too much for the CGI creatures, but as CGI creatures go they were OK.

But the rest of the movie is very good. Will Smith gives a great performance here as our main protagonist. I especially like how he plays with the fine line between mental breakdown and being strong to find the cure. I also liked the idle banter with the mannequins.

I watched the alternate ending. Meh! What the alternate ending suggests would've made a much better ending, but the CGI creature cannot render it convincingly. So the decision to go with a Hollywood ending is the right one in this case.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:30:45 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #517 on: July 08, 2010, 06:05:12 AM »
Enchanted
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #11
WHAT THEY SAY
A fairy tale comes to life in this thoroughly original, new Disney Classic. Drawing inspiration from its classic heritage, Disney creates an inspired story unlike any you've experienced before. Filled with excitement, fun, and incredible music from the legendary Alan Menken, 'Enchanted' is the ultimate fish-out-of-water adventure. For princess-to-be Giselle, life is a fairy tale – until she's banished from the animated land of Andalasia and thrust into the very unmagical, live-action world of modern-day Manhattan. When a cynical, no-nonsense divorce lawyer comes to her aid, little does he realize that this joyful, wide-eyed innocent is about to enchant him. 'Enchanted' – the musical comedy that will have your entire family under its spell.

MY THOUGHTS
Nice little twist on the Snow White story. Nothing much more to say. It's pretty much a standard Disney fare. I found Amy Adams incredibly yummy in this movie.

Fun and entertaining little family movie.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:30:55 PM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #518 on: July 08, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
We came to the exact same conclusion on I Am Legend! Though I was also frustrated by the wasted title.

RossRoy

« Reply #519 on: July 11, 2010, 06:02:21 AM »
Bitch Slap
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #12
WHAT THEY SAY
When a down-on-her-luck stripper, a drug-running killer and a ball-busting businesswoman try to retrieve stolen jewels from a ruthless gangster's hideout, they find themselves competing against an assortment of bizarre criminals – and each other. It's an adrenaline-fueled cocktail of bodacious bad girls, sex, violence and cleavage that'll leave you intoxicated for days!

MY THOUGHTS
Oh boy, I think I should be ashamed.

This movie makes no sense. It is way over the top. But you know what? I loved it!

At the beginning of the movie, it was completely aimless. All there was is three girls looking sexy, moving suggestively, looking sexy. But once they get the guy out of the trunk, and they start having the flashbacks, and fleshing out what led this situation, it started being good. And it just kept getting better.

Oh sure, it kept being over the top. It kept making almost no sense. But it was compelling. I was glued to seat the whole time.

It's odd really. I know I shouldn't have liked that so much. But they got me. And you know what? I think I really need to visit the movies that inspired that, like Dragstrip Girl, Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, Kung Fu Nun (if Wikipedia is to be believed in any case).

RATING

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 11, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »
No idea if Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! was an inspiration for this one, but I'm sure you would like it ;D
Just one advice : get the region 2 release from Arrows and not the american release from RM Films (they are 2 thiefs who had stolen all the proprieties of Russ Meyer while he was in the last stage of his alzheimer disease). Anyway their dvd are pieces of crap quality and overprice...

Remember the sympathics guys who wanted to sue me? It's them ;)

In fact, I'm sure you would like most of his film ;D
The set cost more now than when I got it in december, but it really worth more than that in enjoyment and fun :thumbup:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:06:28 AM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #521 on: July 11, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
In fact, I'm sure you would like most of his film ;D
The set cost more now than when I got it in december, but it really worth more than that in enjoyment and fun :thumbup:

Ordered!  :thumbup:

EDIT: And already dispatched!  :o
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:48:53 AM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #522 on: July 12, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
Farscape: Season 3
WHAT THEY SAY
The third season of Farscape explores the wonders, possibilities and dangers of the wormhole phenomenon more completely than ever before. Through more ominous, adult-themed tales, the series also peeks into the darker corners in the minds of Moya's crew.

In particular, Farscape Season Three shows the dichotomy of John Crichton: from his volatile, passionate bond with Aeryn to his ability to at once unite and divide the loyalties of the crew. As crew members embark on personal missions to deal with individual agendas, the stories showcase smaller ensembles, allowing each character and relationship more room to grow. Before the company reunites, lovers and friends are betrayed and family ties are ripped asunder. Old enemies become allies and dear friends are lost forever.

Some critics have called Season Three the year Farscape matured into a "grown up show." Others see it as the year its creators' brilliance was thrown into overdrive.

MY THOUGHTS
Wonderful! That's all I can think of. The alien designs are awesome. The stories told are actually awesome. The show is awesome! There were a few filler episodes, but that's to be expected. But I like how daring they are about it.

There's an episode that takes place mostly in Crichton's (the human) head that plays out as cartoons. There's also an episode that I can only qualify as a hyperactive drug trip. It's odd and jarring - but they dare make it different! And I love it!

The season ends with a BIG cliffhanger again.. Can't wait to see it resolved.. so I'll end this review here  :laugh:

RATING

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 12, 2010, 05:13:24 AM »
EDIT: And already dispatched!  :o
The british amazon is always efficient like this and they arrive here faster than Amazon US delivery. The shipping is very low also (almost less than an order from our amazon without the free delivery option). The downside is that you will have to pay the tax duties on it :(

Hope you will like it and had a lot of fun watching the films ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 12, 2010, 05:22:31 AM »
The british amazon is always efficient like this and they arrive here faster than Amazon US delivery.
While they may generally be more effective, but this was even on a Sunday!