Author Topic: Rise of the Planet of the Apes  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
I had read mixed reviews about this one. The unfavorable ones, which I had found first, almost made me not see it, but after also finding a couple of good ones I went to see it today.

First off, I was mislead by the title, make me expect a different third act than what they gave me. Of course, what I expected was basically one BIG plot hole, which never came... So, while not really getting what I came for, at least the movie made a lot more sense. I really liked how they ended the film; of course it opens up strong potential to make this a franchise again.

The real stars of this film are of course the apes, or their digital animators (and motion capture doubles). The emotion that the apes bring across with their eyes, faces and body language is amazing. While I found them almost always recognizably digital, I was still in awe of the "acting". James Franco and Jon Voight do their best to breathe a little life into their characters, but they are always overshadowed by the apes :shrug:

How Caesar comes into existence and his development from caged in prisoner to leader of his fellow primates is quite believable. At one pivotal moment the whole theater gasped in awe :laugh: (when he finds quite a surprising way to express himself).

Between a and a

MEJHarrison

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
Besides Harry Potter, this would be my next big summer movie.  Thanks for the review! I think I'll have to go see it. ;D

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
going to see it this afternoon.  :yep:

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
I'm finding it really annoying that this film seems to be pretty good. Your comments are consistent with the reviews I've seen, but I'm in turmoil and have been since I first saw the trailer.  :stars:

While it looks like a great story with a fair bit of action, I can't get past the fundamental fact that they might ignoring the point and message of the original film...

(click to show/hide)

Now at least a precedent has been set by the sequels to allow wriggle room and in the first film there is a Deus Ex Machina to consider:
(click to show/hide)

A review of the new film that I read today supported my fear because he concluded that it neatly
(click to show/hide)
I spoiler-ed that because although it was a published review in a newspaper, I do think people who still haven't seen the original film would be surprised by its potency, even if they know what happens in the closing moments.

Even though I know the film very well, that underlying message is still powerful and rather dark. It would disappoint me if they've undermined it.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
I believe that the destructive ways of man that lead to it's near extinction coupled with the rise of the apes is illustrated in Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (which I really enjoyed btw) just not in the method that most would expect. Two very significant events are initiated from one attempt to change the natural order of things. I don't want to elaborate any more than that for those who haven't watched the film yet but needless to say the ending (stay to watch the credits as well!) explains things nicely and shows how these 2 events eventually lead to the world portrayed in all the earlier incarnations of the Apes movies.

I was skeptical going into this film as well but I think they did enough for them to rightfully say they made it their own. As Achim mentioned the personalities of the various apes are great and in a lot of cases much more engaging than their human counterparts.   :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »
Ok, thanks, Kevin. That's reassuring and I was hoping that this was the case in the background of the more balanced reviews that haven't mentioned the impact on the overall story.

Do you think then, that Rise could be one of those very rare cases where there has been a real effort to reboot a franchise with the focus on story as much as on business? I'd hoped so because of the work that clearly went into Serkis' performance.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
Do you think then, that Rise could be one of those very rare cases where there has been a real effort to reboot a franchise with the focus on story as much as on business? I'd hoped so because of the work that clearly went into Serkis' performance.

I think so because they have gone to great lengths to develop the character of Caesar (Serkis) and to some extent a few of the other apes... Maurice the Orangutan comes to mind. Given their own unique application of how it all began it's really wide open to possibilities going forward which is exciting but make no mistake... the eye candy of special effects surrounding the apes all but ensures it will make a good chunk of change. While they may beat their chest (pun intended) in pride of their successful creativeness I'm sure at no point were they adverse to the prospect of making a little money in this venture.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:19:26 AM by KinkyCyborg »

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 01:53:18 AM »
 :laugh: Nothing wrong with a bit of cash! The best blockbusters though still have integrity and it's good to know that haven't screwed the Apes completely, so to speak.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:24:08 AM »
I've seen the original movie..at least one of the sequels.  I don't remember a lot from them now.  I had no desire to see the newer one directed by Burton and I still haven't seen it.  I'm really not sure I want to see this one.  While some of the stuff in the trailer looks interesting, it also sort of seems like they shared too much.  How Ceaser gets intelligent enough to do what he does...how the other apes get smarter. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:36:05 AM »
I'm really not sure I want to see this one.  While some of the stuff in the trailer looks interesting, it also sort of seems like they shared too much.  How Ceaser gets intelligent enough to do what he does...how the other apes get smarter. 
Yes, the trailer gives you all that information, no surprises left. But it is not really about that, it is about how everyone deals with it, including the apes themselves and most of all Caesar's emotions that bring him to the point where he does what he does. Maybe you have similar reservations as I had, based on the "promise" of the title :hmmmm:

This is not a remake of the original, like Burton's film. The story is heavily taken from part 4, The Conquest of the Planet of the Apes instead.

If you oly have a fleeting interest in the story and no attachment to the series at all, then maybe wait for this showing up on a TV channel near you...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:47:01 AM »
Unhuh....ok.
Still not sure.  My mom and step dad will probably be going to see it..I might go with them.  Haven't decided yet.  Even if I hate it, I'll still get a movie review out of it.   :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
I've thought about this a little more and I think I've figured out what my biggest reservation is.  Beyond the fact that I thought it looked like most of the important bits were shared in the trailers I've seen.

I should mention that I can get...very emotional watching movies at times.  It seems like it hits me worse for some reason if animals are involved.  Peter Jackson's King Kong hit me really, really hard later in the movie...mostly because of the brilliant performance by Andy Serkis.  There were some beautiful and touching moments with Kong and..umm..rats..I forgot her name..the woman Naomi Watts played, and then all the idiots showed up and Kong ends up dead.  I was weeping in the theater.  I have only seen the movie once and I won't watch it again.  I just can't handle seeing that again.  Just thinking about it again now has me crying.  Yes I'm a wimp.  I saw the original Kong and while I didn't like how it ended, it didn't hit me that way.  I never expected how I reacted.  With Serkis playing Caesar, I have a feeling he may get to me that way again.  I'm not someone that likes getting that sad over a movie.  I'm not someone who wants to watch a sad movie every so often so I can cry.  I tend to avoid movies if I know certain things will happen.  After seeing the trailers to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I can tell some things are going to happen that will upset me. 

I'm putting the rest of this in spoiler tags just in case.

(click to show/hide)

Ok..I'm done now..I didn't mean to take over your thread.  I just got to thinking more, especially when you mentioned Caesar's emotions. 

Now I don't know what I'll do..maybe I'm over thinking it.  But then again...I didn't expect to react to King Kong like I did either...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
(click to show/hide)
:o Are you sure you haven't seen it yet...? :laugh:

Well, if just emotional distress of the animal (Caesar, in this case) will give you a hard time, then yes, this movie would give you a hard time. You'd probably hate Draco Malfoy even more, too :laugh: Interestingly, the things that would give you trouble all happen in the first two thirds and you'd probably be cheering all (most of) the way through the the third act. But, maybe it's better to skip this one... ;)

And I did not think you are taking over the thread, I mean, we are talking about the movie, aren't we?  If there was no further discussion, just my review, then what's the point?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
No I haven't seen the movie.  I got all that from the trailers I've seen.  Which is why I've said that I kind of feel like I've seen the movie already.  Maybe the trailers in other countries aren't showing as much.

(click to show/hide)

I had been thinking I wouldn't see it..even before I really thought about why...then I saw some good reviews of it, and was sort of interested.  I just don't know.  I do think Caesar and his emotional distress will get to me, especially knowing that Serkis is performing as him.  So..I'm thinking I won't see it.  But I could change my mind.  lol  And I already really, strongly dislike Draco.  I'm not sure I need more against him.  I may end up never wanting to see him again. ;)

Ok..well...I wasn't thinking my clearest earlier.  I know we've had long discussions about different movies before.  My brain must have taken a little nap earlier. :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »
Yes, the trailer gave it all away... But most people want to see the last 30min :laugh:

Can he communicate with the other chimps after he exposes them to the drug?  [/spoiler]
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)