Author Topic: Tuesday Mini-Marathon: Happy Birthday Sandra Bullock!  (Read 8123 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Tuesday Mini-Marathon: Happy Birthday Sandra Bullock!
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
Tuesday Mini-Marathon
Happy Birthday Sandra Bullock
As many of you already know. I have become a very big Sandra Bullock fan over the years. So when I recently discovered that Tuesday July 26th is her 47th birthday how could I not take the day and watch some of her movies?

Below is my complete Sandra Bullock collection. And I am always looking for more to buy so if you have any suggestions on ones I am missing I would appreciate it very much! I put in titles I haven't watched yet in RED.

As always... if you would like to request a review... feel free. I will do my best. But no promises. Remember... this is a one day marathon so I am limited on time... and there is already a few I am looking forward to re-watching! Before I start getting the usual teasing... I checked Profiler.... I haven't watched Miss Congeniality in just over 2 years! (6/7/2009)... so I don't want to hear it if I watch it this time!
  :tease:

My Sandra Bullock Collection:
- 28 Days
- Bionic Showdown
- The Blind Side
- Crash
- Demolition Man
- Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
- Forces of Nature
- Hangmen
- Lake House
- Love Potion #9
- Miss Congeniality
- Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
- Murder by Numbers
- The Net
- Practical Magic
- Premonition
- The Proposal
- Speed
- Speed 2: Cruise Control
- A Time to Kill
- Two Week Notice
- The Vanishing
- While You Were Sleeping
- Who Shot Pat?

As I said... suggestions for titles I am sorely missing from my Sandra Bullock collection would be very much appreciated!
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Mini-Marathon: Happy Birthday Sandra Bullock!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:42:40 AM »
As many of you already know. I have become a very big Sandra Bullock fan over the years.
I'm shocked :o
I would have never guess you are :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »
2 years since you watched Miss Congeniality?  It seems like it hasn't been that long.  Are you sure you just didn't forget to mark it in Profiler last time? ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
You are absolutely right Marie... I just looked in the review section... and I did watch it last year for her Birthday marathon I did then. So it will be 1 year tomorrow.   :bag:

Still a long time since I watched it!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:02:04 AM »
 :laugh:

Just remember to put in profiler that you watch it this time. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
 :laugh: That is IF I watch it this time!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
     Bionic Showdown (1989/United States)

Director:Alan J. Levi
Writing:Michael Sloan (Screenwriter), Brock Choy (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Sommers
Lee Majors as Col. Steve Austin
Richard Anderson as Oscar Goldman
Sandra Bullock as Kate Mason
Jeff Yagher as Jim Goldman
Martin E. Brooks as Dr. Rudy Wells

Plot:
A bionic spy steals top-secret information from the Pentagon and Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers are put under suspicion. Meanwhile, Dr. Rudy Wells completes his latest Bionic project Kate Mason (Sandra Bullock), a former paraplegic who receives cybernetic implants that make her the strongest fastest woman alive. When Oscar Goldman is kidnapped by enemy agents, it's up to Jaime, Steve and Kate to save him and stop the Bionic spy from causing an international incident at the World Unity Games.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
While I haven't seen this since I made my DVD off an old recording... I have seen the actual movie before. But probably not since the original airing back in '89. Of course back then I didn't know who Sandra Bullock was... just that she was a cute girl in the movie. And now of course she is one of my all-time favorites. Being a fan of both bionic series... I loved every minute of this TV Reunion Movie. This is the second of 3 reunion movies that they made (which I have recordings of all 3). And watching this movie today puts me in the mood to watch the other 2 as well... but I can't do that as I need to stick to this marathon. Being a good 10 to 12 years after the series the effects are a bit better. I really liked the storyline... this is definitely a great way to waste an hour and a half. I highly recommend... especially if you are a fan of the old series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
     The Proposal (2009/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Touchstone Home Entertainment
Director:Anne Fletcher
Writing:Peter Chiarelli (Writer)
Length:108 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Margaret Tate
Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton
Mary Steenburgen as Grace Paxton
Craig T. Nelson as Joe Paxton
Betty White as Grandma Annie
Denis O'Hare as Mr. Gilbertson

Plot:
Sandra Bullock is at her funniest in the fresh, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy The Proposal. On the verge of being deported and losing the high-powered job she lives for, the controlling Margaret announces she's engaged to her unsuspecting, put-upon assistant Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). After proposing a few demands of his own, the mismatched couple heads to Alaska where they have four short days to convince his quirky family and a very skeptical immigration agent that their charade is real. Featuring a star-studded supporting cast, including Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson and the delightfully inappropriate Betty White, this madcap comedy will have you saying "yes" to The Proposal again and again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoy this one very much. It helps that I am a fan of both Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. I think the funniest scene in the entire movie was the shower/running into each other naked scene. Basically the only scene I actually laughed at in the movie. But I do believe a romantic comedy isn't so much about actual laugh out loud moments. More about a lighthearted look at falling in love. Sure... the ending is predictable. But once again I believe that is to be expected with romantic comedies as they are not about the ending... going in we expect the ending... it is about the journey of how they get to that point. Over-all looking at this movie I just find a fun story. I enjoyed both Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds...but I do think they wasted the talents of Betty White. They could have done a better job on her character. Though it was kinda funny seeing her dancing and chanting in the woods.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »
I am actually having a hard time deciding what I want to watch next! :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
Pete - you're difficulty in choosing what to watch reminded me of my grandpa.

He used to hang out it the garage which he made into his "Shangri-La". Grandpa was an avid baseball fan and could never decide which game to watch.

How did he solve this dilemma? He hooked up a whole line of TVs and watched them all at the same time!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
I ended up going with an old favorite... can you guess which one?  :-[ :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
Gee....I wonder.... ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »
     Miss Congeniality: Deluxe Edition (2000/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Donald Petrie
Writing:Marc Lawrence (Writer), Katie Ford (Writer), Caryn Lucas (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock as Gracie Hart
Michael Caine as Victor Melling
Benjamin Bratt as Eric Matthews
Candice Bergen as Kathy Morningside
William Shatner as Stan Fields
Ernie Hudson as McDonald

Plot:
Legs waxed. Lips glossed. Gun ready. Special Agent Gracie Hart is going undercover as a hopeful eager to be the next Miss United States. But Gracie doesn't have a beauty-pageant bone in her body.

Sandra Bullock stars as an operative posing as a pageant contestant in order to ferret out a terrorist targeting the event. Michael Caine deliciously plays the frustrated consultant hired to turn Dirty Harriet into a poised beauty. And Benjamin Bratt, Candice Bergen, William Shatner and Ernie Hudson also score points for hilarity in this box-office smash. From big laughs to sly quips, Miss Congeniality hits.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoy watching this movie so much that I have now watched this DVD 6 times since I got it. And before that I had a bare bones edition DVD... which I watched who knows how many times. And of course I get teased about this all the time. And yes... I couldn't help but to watch it again. I have seen it so many times though... that this time I decided to watch it with the commentary track on. It has a commentary with Sandra Bullock so I listed to it. Made it more fun after watching it so many times.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 01:07:02 AM »
OK... that is about all I have time for today. I was hoping to watch 4 titles... but 3 isn't bad for one day. :)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:48 AM »
After you mentioning it..I got the urge to watch Miss Congeniality again too.   :laugh: