Author Topic: Eric's DVD watching.  (Read 115828 times)

Najemikon

Re: Eric's DVD watching.
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2009, 01:57:54 AM »
Wish you liked them but like hating them Jon ?

Not in this case! I reserve such things for rubbish like Alien 4, where something was squandered. No, all I want from a film is honesty and integrity, and if it has those things and I still don't like it, it must just be me. Que sara and all that. Hence my disappointment because Minghella was a wonderful filmmaker and not in the slightest overrated. I'm a lesser person for not getting The English Patient.

It's like fantasising for years about sleeping with Kylie Minogue and when it finally happens, it just doesn't "click" and you have to say, oh well, no-ones fault, so back to the slappers.

Still, I'd like to be in a position to make that call...  :devil:

Touti

« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:28 AM »
I know the feeling.  When I dislike a well done movie that most people like I always wonder what's wrong with me, did I look at it the wrong way, is there something I'm just not getting, is it a 2nd or 3rd degree thing and I'm just obtuse and got stuck at the 1st degree ?

Then when I'm done analyzing everything and come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with me and that I just didn't like it there will almost every time be someone to tell me "You didn't like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is wrong with you?"

richierich

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2009, 02:56:34 AM »
Wish you liked them but like hating them Jon ?

It's like fantasising for years about sleeping with Kylie Minogue and when it finally happens, it just doesn't "click" and you have to say, oh well, no-ones fault, so back to the slappers.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Or on to her sister   :drooling:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:36 AM »
I know the feeling.  When I dislike a well done movie that most people like I always wonder what's wrong with me, did I look at it the wrong way, is there something I'm just not getting, is it a 2nd or 3rd degree thing and I'm just obtuse and got stuck at the 1st degree ?

Then when I'm done analyzing everything and come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with me and that I just didn't like it there will almost every time be someone to tell me "You didn't like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is wrong with you?"

I am way beyond this stage now. Since most of my packages are delivered at work, my collegues have always an eye for what I got this time. And I've gathered so many strange looks I can't count them anymore. Partly it's the choice of my guilty pleasures but sometimes it's simply the content of the package, for example when you get Braindead and Pretty Woman in the same package.

But I don't care, I watch what I like and if the rest of the world doesn't like it that it's simply a case of me being right and the world being wrong.  :tease:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2009, 12:24:26 AM »
Although it is not really a genre that interests me I've decided to make a small contribution to this year's October Horror Marathon.

Thanks to Jimmy I own an impressive total of 6 Horror movies.  Without his contribution I would only have 2.  Last year he gave me this set which contains 4 Japanese Horror movies which I never watched but didn't sell because it was a gift.  My goal is to watch 1 a week for the whole month of October.......I did say small contribution......

:training:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:26:24 AM by Eric »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2009, 01:10:49 AM »
Awesome Eric!  :thumbup: Will be interested in seeing your thoughts on them! :)
Pete

Touti

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2009, 01:14:05 AM »
Do you know this set Pete ?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2009, 01:31:15 AM »
No I don't... but I am trying to (slowly) get into foreign horrors. But unfortunately I have a problem with subtitles. I am too slow of a reader and always have to pause and rewind and such to catch everything.  :bag: But it is something I am wanting to work on... so looking for the good ones to get myself used to it with. :)
Pete

Touti

« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »
Babine

Overview: C'est l'histoire de Babine et aussi celle des gens de son village : Toussaint Brodeur l'éleveur de mouches, le Forgeron amoureux de la Veuve de St-Barnabé qui le trompe avec le Vieux Curé, Méo le coiffeur qui maganne la tête de ses clients parce que toujours pompette, Madame Gélinas enceinte depuis vingt ans qui n'arrive plus à faire lever ses gâteaux, la belle Lurette qui pleure son amoureux parti pour la guerre et effeuille sans cesse des marguerites et bien sûr Babine le fils de la Sorcière aux prises avec l'intransigeant Curé Neuf. Ce film c'est l'univers de Fred en images, celui où un taureau est amoureux et où on sème une montre de poche pour y voir pousser une horloge.

My Thoughts:  A nice little fantasy, Fred Pellerin (the writer) is very well knows in Quebec for his tales and the poetry he puts in them.  Luc Picard's directing is very and the young actor who plays "Babine" is excellent.  I will definitely watch this again and I think that for the first Fantasy movie ever made in Quebec the result is very good.

My Score: 

P.S: I'm sorry for the french overview but there's no profile in DVDP with the english one and overviews are written so small on BR covers that I can't read it  :-[

Touti

« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
The Reader

Overview:Academy Award® winner Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) delivers a dynamic performance in this "tale of eroticism, secrecy and guilt" (Claudia Puig, USA Today) set in turbulent post-Nazi Germany. Bringing to life the celebrated international novel, Winslet is riveting as Hanna Schmitz - a lonely, working-class woman who experiences a brief but intense affair with a teenage boy. Years later they meet again: Hanna now a defendant in a notorious case and her ex-lover, now a law student, holding the secret to her salvation. Directed by three-time Academy Award® nominee Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours) and featuring Ralph Fiennes (The Duchess) as the grown man still reeling from Hanna's influence, The Reader is a "moving, romantic and poignant story" (Roger Friedman, Fox News) about the difficult distance between truth and reconciliation.

My Thoughts: I didn't read the overview on this so I really had no idea what it was about.  I bought it as part of my signup with Columbia House and I only picked it because of Kate Winslet.  I had only seen "Titanic" and "The Life of David Gale" from her before and my feelings about here were 50/50.  I don't think much good of Titanic which is nothing more than an expensive chick flicks but she was good in "The Life of David Gale" so I wanted to see more of her.

For the first 45 minutes or so I thought it was another chick flicks about a 15 year old boy who falls for a 40+ year old woman who makes him discover love and blah blah blah...........as we've already seen way too many times in movies.  But then.................surprise...........................out of nowhere we see this woman in a trial for having been a SS and things related to auschwitz (note that I didn't mistype anything here, I don't use capital first letters for name of places built to kill people).  This was not only a nice and unexpected surprise (granted that all surprises are unexpected by their very nature  :whistle:) but it also takes the movie in a completely new direction in a snap.  Since I've always been extremely interested with everything related to the holocaust I drank every every scene from that point on all the way to the end.

(click to show/hide)

My Score:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:25:01 PM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2009, 11:58:22 PM »
Milk

Overview: His life changed history. His courage changed lives. Academy Award® winner Sean Penn stars in this stirring celebration of Harvey Milk, a true man of the people. Based on the inspiring true story of the first openly gay man elected to major public office, this compelling film follows Milk's powerful journey to inspire hope for equal rights during one of the least tolerant times in our nation's history. With a stunning all-star cast, including Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsh, Diego Luna and James Franco, it's the emotionally charged story that was proclaimed the Winner of The New York Film Critics Circle Best Picture Award!

My Thoughts:   All I knew about this man is the very litle I've seen and heard in trailers and critics when the movie got all its nominations for the Oscars.  I had never heard of Harvey Milk before.  I've always enjoyed well made movies that allow me to learn about true events and this one was no disappointment. "Milk" runs for over two hours but I didn't feel it long at any time.  The story great, the movie is great and Penn is just extraordinary.................fuck is he good actor.

My Score:

richierich

« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
Thanks Eric, Milk just went to top of my November alphabet marathon pile  :cheers:

Touti

« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
You won't regret it Rich.  I actualluy think that most English speaking people will enjoy it more than me.  This a dialogue movie, there's lot of talking sometimes it's still hard for me to hear/understand everything in scenes with background sounds like partys, a march or a verbal argument when many people talk at the same time.  I actually had to put on sub-titles for some scenes which obviously took away some of the enjoyment.  People who don't have this language barrier are in for a treat, especially with Penn's performance.  He won an Oscar for this and I think it was 100% deserved.

Touti

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »
Oupppsss ! I just realized that I messed up the spoiler tag (fixed now) in my review of "The Reader".  I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone, I apologize if I did.

BTW: I know my last 3 reviews have nothing to do with Horror but unfortunately Columbia hasn't shipped my order yet so I have no Horror to watch.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2009, 07:28:42 PM »
Columbia hasn't shipped my order yet so I have no Horror to watch.

:whistle: