Author Topic: Eric's DVD watching.  (Read 115796 times)

Touti

Re: Eric's DVD watching.
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »
Pay it Forward

Click the Pic for details

Sometimes we feel like watching a movie but we don't want something that's gonna require us to think hard or concentrate, we just want to sit, be fed and enjoy.  I was in that mood when I watched "Pay it Forward" as I expected it to be a bit "easy".

To my surprise it wasn't as much as I expected.  Although the premise of the movie is a bit simplistic revolving around a boy who thinks he can make a difference in the world by helping people and as them to "Pay forward" instead of "Paying back".

It turned out to be an interesting movie dealing with many problems and struggles of modern society such as love, sex, alcoholism, unemployment, low education etc.  Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt both give a fair performance and I'll have to admit I didn't mind spending two hours watching Hunt in short skits and tight tops  :bag:

Rating:

Touti

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »
Enemy of the State

Click the pic for details

I don't really know what to say about that movie and since I always say that there's nothing wrong with shutting the f. up when you have nothing to say I'm gonna do just that.

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:45:37 PM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2008, 10:38:59 PM »
The Departed

Click the Pic for Details

I'm really not a big fan of Leonardo, I actually think he's a pretty bad actor and I disliked most the movies of his that I've seen.  However IMO Nicholson and Damon are just about as good as one can be so that was enough to make me watch this movie although I knew I would have to suffer through DiCaprio's scenes.

This is quite an interesting movie where just everybody is a rat and/or double agent.  The idea of having a police agent who infiltrated a criminal group and a criminal from that group who infiltrated the police chasing each other without knowing who's who opens up endlessly possibilities of rebounds and surprises which are very well exploited in that movie.  I think however that the movie would have been just as good with a little less violence and blood.

Rating:

Touti

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:06 PM »
Surviving my mother

This movie is classified as a comedy but although it is funny in style, it still deals with some interesting drama.  There isn't much to say about it except that it's very well done.  I particularly liked the way they did the SMS exchanges.  Most of the actors in this movie are unknown to me except for Caroline Dhavernas (Wonderfalls) who's a very talented (and pretty) young actress and Véronique Leflaguais who's one of our bests and I was happy with both their performances.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
The Departed
This is quite an interesting movie where just everybody is a rat and/or double agent.  The idea of having a police agent who infiltrated a criminal group and a criminal from that group who infiltrated the police chasing each other without knowing who's who opens up endlessly possibilities of rebounds and surprises which are very well exploited in that movie.  I think however that the movie would have been just as good with a little less violence and blood.

That last comment is very telling. I enjoyed The Departed and thought it was excellent. However, I prefer the source film, Infernal Affairs. It seems to be about half the length, glossy and focused. Far more Michael Mann style. I loved it. The story is almost identical except I don't think there was an equivalent Mark Whalberg character. I did think he was fantastic in The Departed.

While IF is shorter and more focused as I said, it's two sequels expand the story brilliantly into something huge.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
I've once heard an actress from Québec (Mahée Paiement) say on TV that this was her favorite movie.  Although she is quite pretty and sexy and I wouldn't describe her as the brightest star in the sky
Since Eric had decided to tease you with her, this is what she looks like

Not really my genre of girl, but everyone in my province seem to find her beautifull.

Touti

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
She is pretty, dumb but pretty, not pretty dumb but pretty dumb  :hysterical:

Touti

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »
The Departed

That last comment is very telling. I enjoyed The Departed and thought it was excellent. However, I prefer the source film, Infernal Affairs. It seems to be about half the length, glossy and focused. Far more Michael Mann style. I loved it. The story is almost identical except I don't think there was an equivalent Mark Whalberg character. I did think he was fantastic in The Departed.

While IF is shorter and more focused as I said, it's two sequels expand the story brilliantly into something huge.

Hold on now.  You and me agreeing on something ?  That's plain wrong  :yellowcard:

Najemikon

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »

Hold on now.  You and me agreeing on something ?  That's plain wrong  :yellowcard:

:tease:

I'm looking forward to what you think of Notes on a Scandal and seeing your comments to my original, glowing, enthusiastic review!

Najemikon

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
Not really my genre of girl, but everyone in my province seem to find her beautifull.

:hysterical:

In English, we only ever use "genre" in reference to art, so I just found it particularly hilarious used here!  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »
Sometimes even after years and years of learning I learn something new  ;D

"Not my kind of girl"

I was sure that "genre" or "kind" were the same thing. Anyone can be use with the same result  :whistle:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:41:32 PM by Jimmy »

Touti

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2008, 12:02:02 AM »
Modigliani

This movie is nothing but absolutely beautiful.  Although it shows some people who really existed, I don't think it can be seen as a biography.  In fact, there's a note at the beginning of the movie stating something about the characters having nothing to do with the real ones and the paintings and sculptures seen in the movie aren't from the real artists.

With that in mind, one can sit and enjoy this brilliant movie which is a piece of art about artists.  There is a long scene toward the end about a painting competition in which Modigliani and Picasso are participating that is astonishing.  The photography, sets, music, acting, everything are just extraordinary, I can't find the words to describe it.  That's definitely a movie I'm gonna watch again.

If you have any interests in early 20th century arts and artists then do yourself a favor and buy this.

Rating: by my usual rating method but I would also give it 5 stars or 10/10. 

Touti

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2008, 03:38:14 AM »
North Country

Good movie, directed by a woman and with the women who were involved in the real case as counsultants which means that the people who did it can understand what was at stake.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
I think almost more of an adaptation than a pure remake. But Marty knows what he is doing and he is doing it well here (sorry Eric, but the violence just comes with the territory...).

Interesting you should say that (as I value your judgment of movies and we very often agree). Many people consider the sequels, while still maybe o.k. movies, to be far inferior to the first film. I just thought I should mention this for Eric... Personally I enjoyed the other two as well (own them on DVD) and would recommend them as a supplement without doubt. BTW, Eric, they function as sequel and prequel.

Touti

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »
Rosemary's Baby

I'm writing this as I am watching this movie, it is "only" the 6th or 7th time I pause it to check for new posts here or new emails.  More than half of the movie has passed and the only satanic part referred to in the reviews I've read was a dream from Rosemary that lasted a few minutes.

Rating (so far):   :surrender:

And there goes another movie from the 60's and 70's.

Edit: What a boring movie, how can people talk so highly of it ?  It's supposed to be a horror movie but there's no suspense whatsoever, just 2 hours of total boringness. 

Rating:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:59:17 PM by Eric »