Author Topic: Eric's DVD watching.  (Read 115820 times)

RossRoy

Re: Eric's DVD watching.
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2009, 02:39:11 PM »
Why not rip them Eric? As far as I know, it's still legal, or at least in the grey zone, to rip something you own for your personal use.

That way, if your HD DVD player gives, you can remaster them as Blu-ray, or at the very least, watch them from the HDD

Touti

« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
I've thought of that Seb and I actually bought a new 1 TB hard disk recently.  I just need to find a program to rip HD-DVD's but that shouldn't be too hard, just didn't have the time.

Touti

« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
I've downloaded AnyDVD HD trial and ripped one of my movies onto the shared "Videos" folder on my Windows Home Server.  I can play from the folder in the program I use to watch my HD-DVD's but Windows Media Center doesn't recognize those .EVO files.

I would love to be able to rip them and just play them for windows media center and although I haven't tried it yet, this could be the solution.  I'm particularly curious about their Windows Home Server program which is free.

http://www.mymovies.dk/products.aspx

Touti

« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »
The Good German

What they say:Who knows what American journalist Jake Geismer (George Clooney) expected to find in postwar Berlin? Peace, maybe. Or at least a story. But certainly not Lena (Cate Blanchett), his beautiful, embittered one-time love. And not the trail of secrecy and deception that leads from Lena to the scheming young corporal (Tobey Maguire) who's her new lover... and to a murder no one seems interested in solving. Except Jake. Steven Soderbergh directs three of today's top talents in this zigzag thriller that's both an atmospheric homage to 1940s filmmaking and a deft modern film noir. 'The Good German' is "haunting and hypnotic, it's pure moviegoing bliss" (Peter Travers, 'Rolling Stone').

What I think: So you take a few good actors, a good director and a good story, you throw in a few million dollars and that gives you a good movie right ?   Well......not always, making a good movie also requires that little something that is missing here.  "The Good German" is an attempt at making a film noir as in the 1940's and at that it is very successful.  The atmosphere is there, the actors performances are right on the spot.  Unfortunately the good stuff ends there and the story is told in a boring way.  My feeling at the end of the movie was that they've put too much effort into the style and not enough on the story.

Najemikon

« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »
That seems to be the view most people ended up with, so I'll definitely not go out of my way for this. I remember an article saying Soderbergh had sourced genuine '40s lenses for the cameras, but it's all for nothing if you don't have something of substance to film.

Touti

« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »
That seems to be the view most people ended up with...

Apparently so Jon, I just checked RottenTomatoes and most reviews aren't very good.  And to be honest........having most of the first 30-45 minutes based on a charater played by Tobey Maguire didn't help it.

Touti

« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2010, 03:29:21 AM »
Cinderella Man

What they say:Academy Award® winners Russell Crowe and Renée Zellweger star in this triumphant, powerfully inspiring true story. In a time when America needed a champion, an unlikely hero would arise, proving how hard a man would fight to win a second chance for his family and himself. Suddenly thrust into the national spotlight, boxer Jim Braddock would defy the odds against him and stun the world with one of the greatest comebacks in history. Driven by love for his family, he willed an impossible dream to come true.

What I think: What a good movie........frankly I don't know what to say, I just feel like rewinding the DVD and watch it again.  Just another example of Ron Howard's genius at making movies, we should all thank god he didn't stick to acting.

A perfect score:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:31:24 AM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »

Can 2012 be summarized in one word ?  Yes........................crap !

And if you haven't watched the alternate ending on the DVD thank yourself for that, it just makes it even worse.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:34 AM »
I had the misfortune to suffer through 2012 in the theater.  Bleck.
I have no desire to ever see it again, let alone watch an alternate ending.

Touti

« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
Just in case.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »

Can 2012 be summarized in one word ?  Yes........................crap !

And if you haven't watched the alternate ending on the DVD thank yourself for that, it just makes it even worse.

Oh dear I gave it a 3. I quite enjoyed it, please note that I did remove my brain before watching though, always do that for this type of film. Yes the alternate ending was bad.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Touti

« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »
I can live with some "no brain required" type of films but not that much.  Sophie wrote in her review that she didn't know if the director wanted us to take the movie seriously or not but it alternates between serious stuff and lame jokes.  That's what I don't like in movies, when that putting dumb humor everywhere and take away all credibility.  It makes me feel like I'm watching a movie whose target are teenagers.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
I can live with some "no brain required" type of films but not that much.  Sophie wrote in her review that she didn't know if the director wanted us to take the movie seriously or not but it alternates between serious stuff and lame jokes.  That's what I don't like in movies, when that putting dumb humor everywhere and take away all credibility.  It makes me feel like I'm watching a movie whose target are teenagers.

Thanks, I went and had a look at the other reviews from Sophie, Marie and Sébastien. They seem to agree with your view. Must be me, maybe I need to raise my expectations.

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2010, 12:44:06 AM »
I've liked other movies like this before...even some by the same director.  This one was just too much like his previous movies...cities being destroyed and all that...the reason is different, but so much else is the same.  The characters fit the same types too.  He needs new material.

Well I watched that alternate ending...sheesh...just when I thought it couldn't get more stupid.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:06:04 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2010, 01:06:48 AM »
I've liked other movies like this before...even some by the same director.  This one was just too much like his previous movies...cities being destroyed and all that...the reason is different, but so much else is the same.  The characters fit the same types too.  He needs new material.

I know what you mean Marie.

I think maybe it is my problem though in another thread about anime Emma remarked about some anime fans liking anything anime whereas she tended to be more selective and I replied that I had managed to like much of what I had seen. Maybe my expectations are too low and I do end up liking a lot of dross. But what the hey that is me and I continue to like what I like and dislike that that I don't like.

Dave
Dave

My Library