Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unseen Horrors  (Read 19698 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Unseen Horrors
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon

Unseen Horrors
It is no secret around here... as you can see from my last few attempts to watch movie marathons... that I been struggling with not being in the mood for movies. I been sticking with TV Shows. I been trying to push myself through this dry spell of movie watching... and now I am starting to get desperate. So I thought I would fall back on my absolute favorite genre in hopes to snap me out of it. At the same time... I wanted to work on my unwatched pile as it is getting extremely large!

I have way too many horror movies that I haven't watched to list them all here... but I still did want to make a list of titles I could possibly watch. So here is a bunch of titles that jumped out at me as possibilities. If you see something below that you are either curious about yourself... or would like to recommend to me Please feel free to do so. I can't promise I will get to them this weekend... but I will try to work some of them in.

Please Note:
The majority of these titles I never seen before. So I don't know whether they are truly horror movies. Basically kept the genre that was already set in DVD Profiler. If you see something that you really don't see as horror please let me know.

• 28 Weeks Later
  • Alone in the Dark
  • The Antichrist
  • Audrey Rose
  • Bats: Human Harvest
  • Bled
  • Blood & Chocolate
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
  • Carnivore
  • Chiller
  • The Choke
  • Creature Unknown
  • Creeper
  • Creepers
  • Dark Reel
  • Dead & Breakfast
  • Dead Above Ground
  • Dead Doll
  • Dead Snow
  • Deathbed
  • The Devil's Curse
  • Drag Me to Hell
  • Eternal
  • Eternal Evil
  • The Evil
  • The Evil One
  • Frightmare
  • From the Grave
  • The Ghost of Spoon River
  • Horror House on Highway 5
  • The Horror Within
  • I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer
  • The Killing Club
  • The Killing Words
  • The Locker
  • The Locker 2
  • Mosquitoman
  • Necromentia
  • The Order
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • Phantasm II
  • The Planet
  • Ravenous
  • Rest Stop: Dead Ahead
  • Rest Stop: Don't Look Back
  • Rise: The Blood Hunter
  • The Ruins
  • Scourge
  • Sublime
  • Twice Dead
...And Many Many Others!!!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unseen Horrors
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
I finally got to watch Pan's Labyrinth last night. No way would I consider this horror. I also didn't find Audrey Rose to be scary at all.

One movie I've been hoping you would get to, and is more horror like than Pan's Labyrinth, is Marathon Man.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:00:12 PM by Kathy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »
Thanks Kathy...
Will Keep them in mind while choosing movies.

I noticed in profiler that Death Note and Death Note II are not marked as horror. Reading the back of the cases I could see it being either way. If anyone here seen these movies... would you consider them horror?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:50:26 AM »
     Dead Above Ground (2002/United States)

Lions Gate Home Entertainment
Director:Chuck Bowman
Writing:Stephen J. Cannell (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Rating:Rated R : Violence and Language
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Corbin Bernsen as Mark Mallory
Stephen J. Cannell as Mr. Hadden
Robert Conrad as Reed Wilson
Adria Dawn as Zara
Tony Denman as Bobby Monster Moley
Adam Frost as Chip Palmer

Plot:
Jeff Lucas is a troubled outcast at Bay City High School who is relentlessly teased and ridiculed by the other students at school – especially after making a horror video instead of a documentary for a Communications project. When one of his peer clashes ends in a high speed car chase, he loses control of his vehicle and plunges off a cliff to his death. A year later, a new boy arrives at Bay City High School who lives in Jeff's old house. Convinced that Jeff's spirit is inhabiting the house and determined to get revenge on his tormenter, he tries to warn the others as they begin to disapear one by one.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies that was recently given to me. It is one I never even heard of before getting it. Going by the cover I didn't have to high expectations for it... but before popping the movie in I decided to check Youtube for the trailer. The trailer gave me some hope that I would enjoy it. But I was still a little cautious. I didn't really care for the opening effects. They just seemed a cheesy to me. But then the movie itself did a lot to be desired. I have seen worse horror movies... but this one has some pretty bad acting.... a bit over the top. The only one in the cast that even did a half way decent job is Corbin Bernsen... but he was only in the first 10 minutes of the movie! Really... this is nothing more then an average horror movie. At least I wasn't expecting much... so not really disappointed.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:42:14 AM »
I don't really think of Pan's Labyrinth as horror either.  Definitely a bit twisted..violent at times..but not what I think of as horror.

I've read good reviews for Drag Me to Hell.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »
Going the DTDVD way doesn't look like the best way to bring you back in an horror mood Pete... sound to me like doing a "mortuary of madness boxset" weekend marathon :shrug:

Frightmare is the Pete Walker movie? I prefer his other type of film but it isn't bad from what I have heard...

I'm sure you would like The Evil, Alone in the Dark (if this is the 1982 one) and I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (even if I didn't really liked it personally).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
I noticed in profiler that Death Note and Death Note II are not marked as horror. Reading the back of the cases I could see it being either way. If anyone here seen these movies... would you consider them horror?
No, not really. There is a God of Death in it (Shinigami), but that's about it. The story plays more out like a thriller, ending up with a cat and mouse game in part 2...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
I don't really think of Pan's Labyrinth as horror either.  Definitely a bit twisted..violent at times..but not what I think of as horror.

Thanks Marie...

I am not 100% sure... but I think I may have seen Drag Me to Hell already.... maybe on On-Demand. But I may still watch it... it is still in my unwatched pile. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
Going the DTDVD way doesn't look like the best way to bring you back in an horror mood Pete... sound to me like doing a "mortuary of madness boxset" weekend marathon :shrug:

Frightmare is the Pete Walker movie? I prefer his other type of film but it isn't bad from what I have heard...

I'm sure you would like The Evil, Alone in the Dark (if this is the 1982 one) and I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (even if I didn't really liked it personally).

What can I say... I have several of the DTDVD ones in my unwatched pile!

And no... that isn't the Frightmare I have... I have this one... made in 2000...

Frightmare
A group of Sugar hill high school seniors put on a haunted house to raise money for their senior trip. But when a young girl is savagely murdered and two more teenagers are brutally killed, the hunt is on for a deadly serial killer and the haunted house is shut down.

The only lead police have is that this may be the work of the gruesome "Conscience Killer." Now, the lives of all the students are in grave danger, and no one ever knows where the killer may be lurking.

I was actually hoping to get to all three of your suggestions this weekend. If nothing else I will definitely get to at least one of them. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
No, not really. There is a God of Death in it (Shinigami), but that's about it. The story plays more out like a thriller, ending up with a cat and mouse game in part 2...

Thanks Achim!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
At another forum someone requested that I watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)... any thoughts on this one? Any good?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
     The Evil (1978/United States)

Shout! Factory
Director:Gus Trikonis
Writing:Donald G. Thompson (Screenwriter)
Length:89 min.
Rating:R
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Richard Crenna as C.J.
Joanna Pettet as Caroline
Andrew Prine as Raymond
Cassie Yates as Mary
George O'Hanlon, Jr. as Pete
Lynne Moody as Felecia

Plot:
Psychologist C.J. Arnold (Richard Crenna) and his wife Caroline (Joanna Pettet) buy a dilapidated historical mansion with a dark past in hopes of transforming the estate into a drug rehabilitation clinic with the help of some of his students and current patients. When he opens a secret door in the basement of the house, Arnold inadvertently releases a malevolent presence in Gus Trikonis' The Evil. Also starring Victor Buono, Andrew Prine and Cassie Yates.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I never seen before... but was recommended to me by a few people. I wouldn't say this is the best haunted house movie I seen... there is a bit of cheese involved here. But it is definitely one I enjoyed. This movie brought me back to my teen years when I was really going hard watching every horror I could find. I am actually surprised that I haven't seen this one before. Some scenes lagged a bit.... but over all it kept my attention. Over-all I am happy with this one.

This is a movie that a friend here at the forum was kind enough to send me... as he ended up with two copies. So I must once again say Thank You! I am looking forward to checking out the other movie on this disc (Twice Dead).

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
I don't really think of Pan's Labyrinth as horror either.  Definitely a bit twisted..violent at times..but not what I think of as horror.

Pan's Labyrinth is Fantasy and therefore by definition, it is Horror in its purest form and should be counted. It doesn't have to be scary, but the very notion of some the creatures is 'Horrific'. It definitely qualifies, Pete, especially for you because you know this genre so well. If you said, "Friday night is horror night! What should we watch?", Pan's Labyrinth would be way down the list. But Kathy, Marathon Man? ??? Strictly thriller. You need something supernatural, a monster or at least heightened/exaggerated reality (slashers, etc) to be horror and Marathon Man has none of that. It is scary, but that makes it a Thriller...  

I think Pete has already seen Drag Me To Hell, but it replays very well!  

At another forum someone requested that I watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)... any thoughts on this one? Any good?

I've never seen it properly, but I do know it's a very important film that demonstrated German Expressionism, which is fundamental heart of classic horror. How watchable it is these days I don't know. It's more appreciated than truly entertaining I think.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:03:58 PM by Jon »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
I know strictly speaking Marathon Man might not qualify.

But if you need monster to qualify as horror, this film has a human monster.

I haven't seen it in 20 years or more (have to correct that) and this film still makes me shiver when I think of it.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
True, and I did say that There Will Be Blood was filmed like a Horror in some ways because it was so centred on Daniel Day Lewis and revealed him on repeat viewings to possibly be a monster in the eyes of the film.

Not calling Marathon Man a Horror though doesn't dilute it's effect. It should be considered one of the scariest films precisely because of how real he is.