Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2  (Read 7111 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:39:15 AM »
I went to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 this morning.  I was briefly tempted by the midnight showings, but I decided that would be too crazy.  After seeing people lined up 6 hours ahead of time Thursday evening and finding out that some of them had been there all day, I'm glad I didn't go then.  That would have been just a bit too crazy even for me.  It was bad enough today.  The theater was pretty full, though not completely sold out.  There were a lot of kids in the theater, but they were well behaved who actually sat and watched the movie without running up and down the aisles or playing with cell phones.  People weren't talking either.  Seeing this one and the last Potter movie has been a bit of a different experience from seeing other recent movies with large crowds. 

There are a few small things - changes or omissions - that I'm not happy about, but overall, I loved the movie.  It is one of the best of the series and one of the best of the year.  It is a great ending to a great series - though I still have issues with certain things in the previous movies.  While I will still have the books and movies to read and watch again as often as I want, it is still a little depressing that there aren't any more Potter movies to look forward to.  Even when I've been worried something wouldn't be done right, I still looked forward to the movies.

This movie picks up right where the last one ended.  It, along with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 are based on the final book in the Harry Potter series.  These two movies are a bit more connected than some of the previous ones have been.  This is not the movie to jump into the Potter world with.  Start at the beginning.  The plot is entertaining and things are resolved by the end, though a few things get worked out slightly differently because of changes that have been made somewhere along the way.  I like that the movie uses the epilogue from the book, though I've already seen some people complaining about that.  I liked that ending to the book and I liked it here.  Honestly, I would have liked even more details in that part.

Things are changed here and there throughout the movie, which I expected before seeing the movie.  The changes really didn't bother me too much this time.  They weren't as extreme as some of the ones done in previous movies, though once again, some of the explanations suffer.  The movie, like the last one, is depending on the audience having read the books and being able to fill in the missing pieces.  Certain things were left out of earlier movies and pop up with no introduction in this one, which could cause a little confusion for some viewers.  The special effects were done well and things look good overall.  There is more action in this one, though it is broken up by a few things, much like it was in the book.  There is violence, though not too extreme.  I still don't like the snake and it still freaks me out a bit.  Unfortunately for me, the snake is in more scenes in this movie.  I knew that was going to happen, but I still didn't like it.

Since the horcruxes were not properly set up in the sixth movies - that was one of the things that really bugged me about that movie - Harry lacked some important information he needed to try to find them.  I did wonder how Harry would manage without that knowledge.  This movie comes up with an explanation that works, though I don't really like it.  It is sort of a copout to cover up the crappy set up, but it works.  It would have been much better if the horcrux explanation had done properly to begin with in the sixth movie.

The characters are wonderful.  Some that haven't had much to do in the last few movies get some really nice moments.  McGonagall goes into badass mode, but she still takes the time to be giddy over doing a certain spell.  She is just awesome in this movie.  Neville is pretty badass too and he finally gets to shine.  I was worried he would get messed up.  Some things are a little different, but it is good.  Snape is around a bit more, and Alan Rickman is absolutely wonderful in the part.  Bellatrix is still twisted and crazy.  A lot of characters are only briefly seen unfortunately, but that has been an issue in all the movies since there are just so many characters.  The Weasleys are mostly missing, but Molly does get her moment that got applause in the theater I was in.  Voldemort is still one of the most evil villain characters. 

Harry, Ron, and Hermione get the most to do and they have changed the most over the series.  The actors are great in the parts.

The movie does end the series on a high note.  It is definitely one to see, but see the previous movies first.  And read the books. :)

I did get a review posted on Epinions.  It is a bit longer, but I didn't include spoilers.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »
I have a few more things I want to say about the movie and I decided to save them for another post since the first was getting longer.

I'm using the spoiler tags here for a reason.  Do not click before seeing the movie...I'm serious.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Ok..I'm done.  At least for now.  I may think of something else to add later.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »
I went to see it again Saturday night with a friend.  I still love it.  I did notice a few little things that I hadn't the first time I saw it.  A lot of that was with the music playing in different scenes.  I heard little bits of music from the first few movies woven into the new pieces of music.  The older bits were done softly, so if you don't listen closely, you may not pick up on it.  It is very subtle, but I liked it.  I've always thought of the part I heard as part of the main theme since it was the music that played at the beginning of the first few movies.  It may not officially be the main theme. 

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
I have only Seen the first 3 movies though I do have all the previous movies, buying them as they came out.  I should probably start over and watch them all and then finally see the last movie.  I don't know how quickly I could get through them since I'm not big into long marathons.  Maybe I could try a movie a day for a week...I imagine the new movie will stick around for awhile.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
It would be a really good idea to watch the other movies before seeing the last one.  It should be around for a little while..least I would think so. 
I do think it is one that is good to see on the big screen.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:05 AM »
I finally went to see this yesterday. I liked it really very much, felt like a proper film and is a great conclusion of the series. There is still excellent quiet moments just as well as large action set pieces. As Marie said, some explanations fall a little short, which I could fill in easier (having read the books) than my friend I went with. It's been since its release that I read the last book, so I didn't notice the modified stuff as much. On the other hand, I actually understood the explanation about the connection between Harry and Voldemort and all the things Dumbledore (wow, what an elaborate scheme!) had set up much better than after reading the book.

My favorite moment: McGonagall kicking butt :clap:

A few other things that I noticed:
(click to show/hide)

Rgarding Marie's spoilered comments:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:54:45 AM »
I finally went to see this yesterday. I liked it really very much, felt like a proper film and is a great conclusion of the series. There is still excellent quiet moments just as well as large action set pieces. As Marie said, some explanations fall a little short, which I could fill in easier (having read the books) than my friend I went with. It's been since its release that I read the last book, so I didn't notice the modified stuff as much. On the other hand, I actually understood the explanation about the connection between Harry and Voldemort and all the things Dumbledore (wow, what an elaborate scheme!) had set up much better than after reading the book.

My favorite moment: McGonagall kicking butt :clap:

I loved McGonagall in this movie.  She was awesome.  McGonagall in full ass kicking mode is a site to see.

A few other things that I noticed:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Rgarding Marie's spoilered comments:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:01:20 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

MEJHarrison

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
I almost went to see this last night.  Even spent the day watching the previous two.  Then our free tickets fell through.  So we're going to try again next week.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 04:35:33 AM »
I hope you get to see it soon..and like it when you see it.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:46 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 06:42:18 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 again...this makes 4 times.  I did see it in 3D this time.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 06:16:11 AM »
I did see it in 3D this time.
How do you like the 3D? AFAIK it was retrofitted...