Author Topic: Transformers: Dark of the Moon  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »
I decided to go see Transformers: Dark of the Moon.  Yes the first movies - especially the second one - had major issues.  However, I did still manage to enjoy them overall as mindless action movies.

The plot is still the weak point of the movie, though it may be slightly - very, very, very slightly - better than the plot of the second movie.  The movie is trying to build on things from the first two...but I wonder how close the screenwriters paid attention to what happened before.  Something from this movie doesn't make the most sense because of something that happened in the first movie.  Anyone going into seeing this movie looking for a strong plot is going to be disappointed.  You don't go see this type of movie for the plot.

The action scenes are done well, with some looking really cool.  There is a bit of shaky camera work, though it didn't bother me as much as it has in the first movies.  There are more quick cuts again too, but again, those didn't bother me as much as they have in the previous movies.  Most of the action involves the robots fighting each other ...which is what I expected.  Optimus ends up kicking ass big time, and that was rather cool to see.  The CGI is done well.  The violence isn't too extreme, but the robots seem to be bleeding this time.  A few of them lose some kind of red liquid after getting hurt.  I don't remember anything like that happening in the previous movies.  I did see it in 3D and I think the 3D is done pretty well.  A few sequences look really cool in the 3D. 

The new character Carly - Sam's new girlfriend - is really just there as pure eye candy and she doesn't add a thing to the movie.  She doesn't really fit the story or with Sam as well as Mikaela did.  Yes Mikaela was like 100 times hotter than Sam would ever hope to be, but she did somehow fit with him.  With her background and knowledge of cars, she just fits better than Carly.  Carly starts off working at the British embassy and then ends up working as the curator at a car museum.  At one point she spouts off something technical about a car and it just sounds stupid coming from her.  She is just too.....I don't know...refined or something.  Most of the time she is just standing around trying to look sexy.  Judging by the reaction from some of the men in the theater when I saw the movie, it seems to have worked.  The first time she's shown on camera, it is a shot of her behind, barely covered by her underwear.  If the camera had gotten any closer, Bay could have given her a medical exam.  The character isn't developed and there is no development for her at all.  It really seemed like to me that a few small things were changed in the script to set up Carly, but for the majority of the script, Mikaela's name was just replaced by Carly's.  At one point, she says something that didn't sound right for her, but would have totally fit Mikaela.  I know that Carly was added after production had started, and it is clear that not much time was spent on working the character into the story.  I think it would have worked better if they had just recast the part instead of creating a new character.

The other characters are ok, though they aren't that developed really.  Sam ends up with the most to do.  He does sort of flip out a bit at one point.  The cast is fine, though nothing that stands out to much.

The movie is good for a mindless action movie.  It is entertaining overall.  People that like this type of movie will probably find something to like about the movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
I realize more and more that you look at movies a lot like Pete. You can find something good in almost any movie.

Did you watch the video with Mark Kermode's "review" that Jon had posted in the YouTube thread...? After thew huge disappointment (that is putting it mildly) that was Revenge of the Fallen I will not watch this. If I pay to see this it will be partly my fault if they make another one...

I did like the first one; even enough to double-dip to upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:33 AM »
I've seen a several movies that I haven't liked at all.  Though I guess I do tend to see more that I end up liking.

I keep in mind the type of movie it is too...like mindless action or serious drama or whatever.  The plot does have major issues, but I still enjoyed the movie overall...I was entertained by it.  It isn't a great movie, but for a mindless action movie, it's ok.

I think I forgot to mention that I would have gone with 3.5 stars if I had the option at Epinions...since I didn't, I rounded up to 4. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:47 AM »
I keep in mind the type of movie it is too...like mindless action or serious drama or whatever.
Even with that in mind I could not even begin to like Revenge of the Fallen...

Just to be sure, I wasn't critisizing, merely observing. Actually, it's great to see thsat you judge the filsm based on the way tzhey entertained you, not what you think the film will do to others. As Mark Kermode sometimes says, that is the best basis to be a good reviewer...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:24 AM »
I've ended up being entertained and liking some movies that most people hate...and I hate some that some people adore.  That seems to happen to me a lot with movies by a certain director who shall remain nameless. 

This movie absolutely isn't for everyone.  A lot of people will be turned off by the barely there plot ..or maybe by Carly just standing around trying to look sexy.  But it is kind of a fun action movie.  Definitely mindless..but entertaining. 

And it was really cool to see Optimus get severely pissed - I'm talking hell hath no fury level of pissed - and kick major ass.  Optimus is still clearly the good guy of the movie, but he is not a robot to tick off.

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »
I really enjoyed Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

I felt the first 40 minutes or so were boring and
(click to show/hide)

But there was alot of action and it was exactly what I expected from a Transformers movie.

Nice review Marie!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Thank you.  :)  Glad you liked the review.