Author Topic: Green Lantern  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Green Lantern
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »
I'm not as familiar with Green Lantern, though I have learned a little about the character in the last few years.  I did want to see the movie and I went on opening day.

I think the movie works well as an origin story for Hal/Green Lantern.  It shows how Hal gets the ring and adjusts to his new powers.  The plot is interesting and makes for an entertaining movie.  I think one thing may have been a little rushed, but it still works overall. 
I don't know if there are plans to do another movie, but there is a short scene setting up a second movie.  I'd see another Green Lantern movie, especially dealing with the story it seems set up for. 

There is a decent amount of action.  There is some violence, though it isn't too extreme.  There is a lot of CGI in the movie, but it is very well done.  This is a movie that just wouldn't have worked that well without the CGI.  The suits look good, with them looking different on different Lanterns.  The suits are sort of alive, with some kind of shimmering green threads that get more noticeable when the Lanterns are using the rings.  I did see the movie in 3D.  That was done well, though nothing too outstanding.  Not as much was done with the 3D as I had thought might have been.

The characters are interesting and the cast is really good.  Sinestro really doesn't do a whole lot in the movie.  I've seen some things say that he is acting as Hal's mentor in the movie, but he really wasn't.  He wasn't at all happy about Hal being chosen by the ring and he wasn't shy about sharing those feelings.  Hal is a bit cocky at times, but likable overall. I did really like Ryan Reynolds in the part.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie and I'm sure I'll add it to my movie collection once it is out.

I did get a review posted at Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Green Lantern

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Green Lantern
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:12:05 AM »
You didn't point it out, so I thought I mention that the suit is actually completely CGI! Meaning, when Ryan Reynolds is "wearing it" his whole body is replaced by the CGI model.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Green Lantern
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:50:36 AM »
I knew it was...I just forgot to mention it.  The suit looks really cool.