Author Topic: The Hunger Episode Reviews  (Read 11669 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Hunger Episode Reviews
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »

An 30-minute anthology of horror stories, THE HUNGER, hosted by Terence Stamp in season 1, and David Bowie in season 2, premiered on Showtime on July 20, 1997. Created by Jeff Fazio. The show remided us of "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits," but it actually a much darker and adults-only… More type of show. The show centered mostly on the horror, combined with erotica and fantasy.

Season 1
Terence Stamp hosts the first season of this spine-tingling horror anthology series from Executive Producers Tony and Ridley Scott, which features a phenomenal cast of familiar faces as you've never seen them before. Inspired by leading genre writers, each episode will draw you into a mesmerizing world of terrifying characters and erotic encounters, where demons feed on the weaknesses of men and temptation consumes reason.

Season 2
David Bowie hosts the second season of the erotically-charged horror anthology series from Executive Producers Tony and Ridley Scott. Inspired by leading genre writers, each terrifying episode will seduce you into a world beyond your wildest nightmares – a world where lust consumes reason and demons feast on the temptations of men.

Episodes:

Season 1:
1. The Swords
2. Menage a Trois
3. Necros
4. The Secret Shih-Tan
5. Bridal Suite
6. Room 17
7. Anais
8. No Radio
9. But at My Back I Always Hear
10. Red Light
11. I'm Dangerous Tonight
12. The Sloan Men
13. A Matter of Style
14. Hidebound
15. Fly-By-Night
16. The River of Night's Dreaming
17. The Lighthouse
18. The Face of Helen Bournouw
19. Plain Brown Envelope
20. The Other Woman
21. Clarimonde
22. Footsteps
Season 2:
1. Sanctuary
2. Skin Deep
3. Dream Sentinel
4. And She Laughed
5. Nunc Dimittis
6. Week Woman
7. Night Bloomer
8. The Diarist
9. Sin Seer
10. Triangle in Steel
11. Brass
12. Replacements
13. I'm Very Dangerous Tonight
14. Wrath of God
15. Bottle of Smoke
16. The Perfect Couple
17. The Sacred Fire
18. Approaching Desdemona
19. The Seductress
20. Double
21. The Falling Man
22. The Suction Method
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:23:37 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunger Episode Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
The Hunger: Season 1

1. The Swords
When James Chandler arrives in London, a visit to a fetish club leads to a relationship with Musidora, a woman who can survive being pierced with swords.

Cast:
Balthazar Getty
Amanda Ryan
Jamie Foreman
Timothy Spall

My Thoughts:
This show was strange... but entertaining. The first thing I noticed on this was the opening credits which was weird on it's own. The next thing I noticed was that it is hosted by Terrance Stamp. This I am not sure how I feel about yet. I will need to see him host more episodes before I decide. The episode itself was more of the same... strange but entertaining. I know this series is a horror anthology series... but I didn't find this episode to contain the elements that I normally associate with horror. This episode I will say is good... but has plenty of room for improvement. As for the series on a whole... I will have to see more of it to decide.

My Rating:

Note: This is a recycled review from when I first watched the pilot episode during my month-long horror marathon.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »

2. Menage a Trois
The young nurse of a wheelchair-bound woman learns that her employer has sexual desires that must be fulfilled. Both she and Jerry, the handyman, are part of her plans.

Cast:
Karen Black
Lena Headey
Daniel Craig

My Thoughts:
At this point I am just playing catch-up on the episodes I watched since getting the set. So working off memory for the first handful of episodes. This is a very strange episode. And definitely a new meaning of Menage a Trois! It was good to see not one... but two familiar faces in this one. Karen Black and Lena Headey (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles).

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:43 AM »

3. Necros
When William Cobb arrives in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, he falls for a beautiful young woman who brings with her a strange old manas a companion. A night of passion reveals their true nature.

Cast:
Philip Casnoff
Céline Bonnier
Leonardo Cimino

My Thoughts:
This one is an OK episode... Kind of slow paced. And I didn't care too much for the effects of the demon in the episode. And I found it a bit predictable as well... but it definitely had it's entertainment value.

My Rating:

Note: This is a recycled review from when I first watched the episode during my month-long horror marathon.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:29:57 AM »

4. The Secret Shin-Tan
The Shih-Tan is secret book of forbidden recipes and when a master chef gets the opportunity to read itand prepare one dish, he cannot resist.

Cast:
Jason Scott Lee
Grégoriane Minot-Payor
Robert Ito
Kenneth Welsh
Martin Wattier
Mariah Inger

My Thoughts:
This one I liked a lot. Very good story... well done. And an ending I wasn't expecting. One thing that makes this one especially good is that it is a horror that could possibly really happen. This one also has Jason Scott Lee playing the master chef.

My Rating:

Note: This is a recycled review from when I first watched the episode during my month-long horror marathon.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:13 AM »

5. Bridal Suite
A newly-married couple decides to spend their honeymoon at an isolated guest house that is rumored to be cursed. One night, the groom disappears, and the wife learns the truth.

Cast:
Sally Kirkland
Karen Elkin
Colin Ferguson
Mark Camacho

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. The familiar face in this one is Sally Kirkland... but the one that impressed me in this episode is the one that played the bride... her name is Karen Elkin (See in image above).... who's name seems familiar to me... but 3 episodes of this show is all I have her in.

My Rating:

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:39:08 AM »
OK... that catches me up on the episodes I previously watched. Now I can start watching new (to me) episodes between this evening and tomorrow. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »

6. Room 17
When a traveling salesman rents Room 17 of the Limbo Hotel and orders an adult channel on his cable television, he gets more then he ever imagined.

Cast:
Curtis Armstrong
Kim Feeney
Penny Mancuso
Robert Hidgen
Arthur Holden
Mark Walker

My Thoughts:
This is another one that is more on the strange side then anything else. Nothing to horror oriented in this one. basically about a woman on an adult channel coming to life... and causing trouble.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »

7. Anais
When an archutect travels to Montreal on business, the drawings he makes to pass the time all feature a young woman, who he names Anais, One day she enters his life for real.

Cast:
Nick Mancuso
Ilona Utriainen
Rebecca Dewey
Pierre Chagnon
Martin Neufeld

My Thoughts:
another one that isn't anything special. But it has it's interesting... if not weird parts. Though I must say... I am pretty much a normal male... I love the sight of a topless woman. But I saw something in this episode that brought this topic to my mind... What is it with all these women piercing their nipples? I am definitely not a fan! To me it just don't look right... and just gets in the way of the beauty. Oh well... each to their own I guess.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »

8. No Radio
A couple indulges in fantasies involving role play. But as their games become ever more daring, they put each other's lives in danger.

Cast:
Bruce Ramsay
Amanda De Cadenet
James Rae
Gayle Garfinkle
Warren Slim Williams
Ian Watson
Chantal Desroches

My Thoughts:
Decided I wanted to watch more of this series. But this episode wasn't anything special. Just an average episode of a husband and wife playing games.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »

9. But at My Back I Always Hear
When a university professor rejects an attempted seduction by one of his students, he learns that her obsession with him does not necessarily end with death.

Cast:
Michael Gross
Karen Elkin
Cary Lawrence
Ellen David
Stephen Mendel
Gail Garfinkle
Ian Finley
Al Vandecruys
Michel Perron

My Thoughts:
This one is a bit better then the last episode. Was kinda weird to see Michael Gross (Family Ties) in a series like this. Though the adult content in this one was limited compared to most the episodes.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »

10. Red Light
A down-on-his-luck photographer is delighted when an ex-lover re-enters his life. But when he tries to photograph her, she tells him not to, fearing that the camera will steal her soul.

Cast:
Tomas Arana
Liliana Kamorowska
Vlasta Vrana
Benoît Brière
Jacklin Webb
Don Jordon
Leni Parker

My Thoughts:
This one really didn't impress me at all. Basically a supermodel becomes convinced that she looses a little of her soul with every picture taken of her. The episode goes where you pretty much expect it to in this series.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »

11. I'm Dangerous Tonight
A Parisian fashion designer creates a fabulous dress from a piece of red fabric, leaving everyone who sees it under it's spell. The dress, however, exacts a terrible price.

Cast:
Esai Morales
Marie-Josée Croze
Dorothée Berryman
Desmond Campbell
Laurent Imbault
Kent McQuaid
Maria Bircher
John Moore

My Thoughts:
An average episode. More entertaining then the one before it. But still nothing really special about it. A designer makes a dress out of a piece of cursed fabric... ends about as you would expect.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »

12. The Sloan Men
When a young woman meets her fiancé's family for the first time, her future mother-in-law has some disturbing and surprising news about the family she's marrying into.

Cast:
Margot Kidder
Clare Sims
Gregory Calpakis
Donovan Reiter
Jean-Claude Bordes
Al Vandecruys
Carole Jeghers
Martin Sims

My Thoughts:
This one is better then the last couple. I liked seeing Margot Kidder in an episode... and she played her part well considering this is really such an average series as a whole. The ending... while fine... I was a bit disappointed as they never did say exactly what the Sloan Men actually were.

My Rating:
Pete