Author Topic: Super 8  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Super 8
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
I went to see Super 8 Sunday evening.  I had seen trailers, but I still didn't feel like I knew a whole lot about the movie..and I think that is best.  The movie is very well done and entertaining and definitely worth seeing.  It is one of the best movies of the year.

Basically, a group of friends in 1979 are making a zombie movie to enter in a super 8 contest.  The friends - who are around 14 or so - are shooting at a train station one night when a train goes by.  Charles, the one directing the movie, thinks the train will add to his movie.  They end up witnessing a horrible train derailment before running back home.  The Air Force moves in to take control of the accident site and doesn't tell the local law enforcement much.  Strange things start happening around town and the friends end up trying to figure out what is going on.

There is some mystery and suspense to what is going on as well as a few horror movie elements without being gory.  A few things that happen are a bit upsetting or disturbing.  The movie really isn't one that is family friendly even though certain things about it remind me of The Goonies

The characters are interesting and developed decently.  Most of the characters are teenagers which could have been a problem, but the cast is really talented.  I was really impressed by Elle Fanning. 

This is a wonderful movie that definitely deserves to be seen.

I did get a review - without spoilers - posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Super 8

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Super 8
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
I want to see this, and probably will latest by Saturday.

The movie really isn't one that is family friendly even though certain things about it remind me of The Goonies.
The Goonies is less family friendly than many will remember. There is at least quite some swearing going on...

But anyway, that is good news to me, I don't need the film to be family friendly myself. ;D

EDIT:
Just came back from seeing it. ....so that's the kind of family friendly you meant. I agree, the film is really intense :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed the film. It felt very much like a good movie from the 70s or early 80s and very obviously owes a great debt to Close Encounter of the Third Kind and Steven Spielberg in general (I'd go as far and say it's the best Spielberg movie Spielberg never made). The acting from the kids is really good and I liked how they chose "real" kids rather than teenage models.

I have three gripes with the film.
1) what's with the lens flares again? I kind of got them in Star Trek and found them to be fairly naturally sourced. Here they show up rather uninspired and I also don't get why they are blue :headscratch:
2) The train crash was ridiculous. In my mind there is no way this crash would have played out the way it did, with some of the train cars literally flying around. This scene had me laugh in all the wrong ways.
3) I can't really put this in words. But that is probably good, as it's about the ending, so I shouldn't write it anyway :laugh:

I'll be sure to catch this on Blu-ray when it comes out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:39:02 PM by Achim »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »
Yup...that kind of family friendly.  Not the swearing so much..but some of the other...things that happen.

I noticed the lense flair stuff too.  In some scenes, it sort of seemed to fit more since there were lights in the shot..but other times, there was no reason for it.  It got distracting.

The train wreck was a little over the top...what bothered me about it the most was
(click to show/hide)

Even with the train wreck issues, I still think it was a really well done movie..definitely worth seeing.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:07:48 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

But yes, despite my few gripes, this film was well made, provides loads of excitement and has solid characters and cast.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 05:44:34 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Ohhh...I forgot to ask before.  Did you stay through the credits to see the movie the kids made?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Star Trek, not Star Wars ;) Typo, I suppose...

Ohhh...I forgot to ask before.  Did you stay through the credits to see the movie the kids made?
Yes I did and I had fun watching it.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
I did mean Star Trek.   :laugh:  And yes, I know the difference between the two series. 

I liked the little movie too.  Considering it was supposed to be made by a group of kids, it wasn't bad.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
They make a few fair points, but not enough to change my mind:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:59:45 AM by Achim »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 04:17:16 AM »
The video isn't showing up for me.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »
The video isn't showing up for me.
There was an extranous space in the tag. Fixed it now.