Author Topic: TV Stars in the Movies: On-Going Mega Marathon  (Read 32113 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: TV Stars in the Movies: On-Going Mega Marathon
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
     Old School: Unrated and Out of Control: Full Screen (2003/United States)

DreamWorks Home Entertainment
Director:Todd Phillips
Writing:Court Crandall (Story By), Todd Phillips (Story By), Scot Armstrong (Story By), Todd Phillips (Screenwriter), Scot Armstrong (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Luke Wilson as Mitch
Will Ferrell as Frank
Vince Vaughn as Beanie
Jeremy Piven as Pritchard
Ellen Pompeo as Nicole
Juliette Lewis as Heidi

Plot:
Get ready for the UNRATED and OUT-OF-CONTROL version of Old School that you couldn't see in theaters!

What's a guy supposed to do when he catches the early flight home and finds his girlfriend in a bed with a room full of naked strangers? Return to college and start a fraternity! Before you can say "wild and wet wrestling," Frank "The Tank" (Will Ferrell, Saturday Night Live); Mitch (Luke Wilson, Legally Blonde) and Beanie (Vince Vaughn, Swingers) have their own frat raging with out-of-control antics. But when things get too wild, the dean sets out to shut them down. The laughs are top of the class (even if the guys aren't!) in the hit comedy from director Todd Phillips (Road Trip).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I have seen this movie. It is a movie that was given to me in a big box of DVDs recently. It is however the full Screen version. But that is ok... I can always upgrade if I see it for a decent price. There were a few familiar faces of people I know from different TV Series in this movie. There was Elisha Cuthbert (24... Ellen Pompeo (Grey's Anatomy)... and there was Leah Remini (King of Queens)... all of whom I enjoy.

As for the movie itself. What did I think.... hmmmmm.... It's not a bad movie... but it did feel like something was lacking. I found it entertaining... but no real laugh out loud moments. I would say it is worth watching... and I can even see myself watching it again at some time. But not one I will be popping in very often. Pretty much just an average comedy.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
     Lost Souls (2000/United States)

New Line Home Video
Director:Janusz Kaminski
Writing:Pierce Gardner (Original Material By), Betsy Stahl (Original Material By), Pierce Gardner (Screenwriter)
Length:98 min.
Rating:Rated R : Scenes of Violence, Terror and Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Winona Ryder as Maya Larkin
Ben Chaplin as Peter Kelson
Sarah Wynter as Claire Van Owen
Philip Baker Hall as Father James
John Hurt as Father Lareaux
Elias Koteas as John Townsend

Plot:
Two-time Academy Award®-winning cinematographer Janusz Kaminski (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List) directs Oscar® nominee Winona Ryder (Girl Interrupted) and Ben Chaplin (The Thin Red Line) in a riveting supernatural thriller.

For 2000 years, he has feasted on pain, sown the seeds of chaos...and waited. But now, the Devil will take human form and plunge humanity into eternal darkness - unless one woman can stop him. Maya Larkin (Ryder) must race against time and all the forces of evil to convince a born skeptic (Chaplin) that he's the unwitting, chosen pawn in a shocking Satanic conspiracy that will end the world as we know it. In the terrifying tradition of the Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby, LOST SOULS is a pulse-pounding rush that'll scare the hell out of you!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I haven't seen since I bought it back in 2003. So I remembered nothing going into this one today. This one co-stars Sarah Wynter who played Kate Warner on 24. While the story has a good premise... I just had a hard time keeping interest in this movie.I found I wasn't caring to much about the characters. The story was a bit slow for my taste. While the story does have it's moments... I can see why this is the first time I pulled this disc out in 8 years.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
     Little Miss Sunshine (2006/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris
Writing:Michael Arndt (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Rating:Rated R : Language, Some Sex and Drug Content
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Abigail Breslin as Olive
Greg Kinnear as Richard
Paul Dano as Dwayne
Alan Arkin as Grandpa
Toni Collette as Sheryl
Steve Carell as Frank

Plot:
Take a hilarious ride with the Hoovers, one of the most endearingly fractured families in comedy history.

Father Richard (Greg Kinnear) is desperately trying to sell his motivational success program...with no success. Meanwhile, "pro-honesty" mom Sheryl (Toni Collette) lends support to her eccentric family, including her depressed brother (Steve Carell), fresh out of the hospital after being jilted by his lover. Then there are the younger Hoovers—the seven-year-old, would-be beauty queen Olive (Abigail Breslin) and Dwayne (Paul Dano), a Nietzsche-reading teen who has taken a vow of silence. Topping off the family is the foul-mouthed grandfather (Alan Arkin), whose outrageous behavior recently got him evicted from his retirement home.

When Olive is invited to compete in the "Little Miss Sunshine" pageant in far-off California, the family piles into their rusted-out VW bus to rally behind her—with riotously funny results.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I never seen before. It was given to me in a box full of DVDs here recently. There is a couple familiar faces in this one first there is Toni Collette who played Tara in United States of Tara. Then there is Mary Lynn Rajskub who played Chloe O'Brian in 24. Though her part was very small. I really didn't know what to think going into this movie. I basically went into this one with no expectations what so ever. Well other then the fact that I never been much of a fan of Greg Kinnear... so I was a little nervous there.

It turned out that I enjoyed the movie... but as I figured Greg Kinnear was my least favorite person in it. It has a few decent laughs in it... but felt it wasn't as funny as they tried to make it. Over-all would say it is worth watching. I can see myself watching it again at some point.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
Next TV Series in My Collection

The 4400

Possibilities:
Note that these are only some of the possibilities I could watch... no way I could list them all.
Joel Gretsch
  • Minority Reports
  • National Treasures 2: Book of Secrets
Jacqueline McKenzie
  • Deep Blue Sea
  • Opal Dream
  • Romper stomper
Brooke Nevin
  • I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer
Peter Coyote
  • Femme Fatale
  • Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis
  • Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave

My Notes:
This one is going to be mostly me just going through the motions.... as this is a series I never really got into so I probably won't be recognizing these people when I watch the movies anyway.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 06:12:21 AM »
Little Miss Sunshine (2006/United States)

[...]

It turned out that I enjoyed the movie... but as I figured Greg Kinnear was my least favorite person in it. It has a few decent laughs in it... but felt it wasn't as funny as they tried to make it. Over-all would say it is worth watching. I can see myself watching it again at some point.
Actually, I didn't think they were actually trying tomake it "haha-funny". Instead this is more what they call "cringe humor". It's almost more of a family drama with a few funny lines in it.

Gotta love the dance grandpa made here learn :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
     I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Sylvain White
Writing:Lois Duncan (Original Material By), Michael D. Weiss (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Rating:R
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Brooke Nevin as Amber Williams
David Paetkau as Colby Patterson
Torrey DeVitto as Zoe
Ben Easter as Lance
Seth Packard as Roger
KC Clyde as Deputy Hafner

Plot:
A group of teenagers is terrorized in a small Colorado town in this latest installment of the I Know What You Did Last Summer series. When a July 4th prank based on a frightening legend results in the accidental death of one of their best friends, the teens swear themselves to secrecy and to not tell a single living soul about their involvement. Their friendship is tested, however, as they drift further and further apart from each other until the following Independence Day, when they receive threatening messages suggesting someone else might also know what truly happened that fateful summer evening. Will they be able to stop the horrible legend from coming to life or be killed off one by one by the mysterious menace with THE HOOK?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I never seen before. I really wasn't even planning on getting it when I found out Jennifer Love Hewitt wasn't in this one. But I found it very cheap ($3 @ Big Lots)... so figured it was worth that much to pick it up. While I didn't find this one as terrible (like some of the reviews I have read on it)... I didn't care for it as much as I did the first two. Kinda felt like sam 'ole, same 'ole. So I really wasn't too impressed. Maybe an average... to slightly above average horror flick in my opinion.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
     Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis (2005/United States)

Lions Gate Home Entertainment
Director:Ellory Elkayem
Writing:William Butler (Writer), Aaron Strongoni (Writer)
Length:89 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Spanish

Stars:
Aimee-Lynn Chadwick as Becky
Cory Hardrict as Cody
John Keefe as Julian Garrison
Jana Kramer as Katie Williams
Peter Coyote as Uncle Charles
Elvin Dandel as Zeke

Plot:
The scientist of the powerful and evil corporation Hybra-Tech Charles goes to Chernobyl to buy some gallons of toxic waste to perform experiments with zombies. When a teenager has an accident with his motorcycle and vanishes, his teenager's friends, leaded by Charles' nephew, find that he was moved to Hybra-Tech. They break in the facility trying to find their friend and accidentally release a group of zombies starving for brains.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
The last time I watched this movie was when I first got it 4 years ago. I remember enjoying it then... but that was about all I remembered about it. This movie is the fourth installment of the Return of the Living Dead series. At this point the series is starting to get a little on the weak side.... but there is still enough here for me to enjoy. Though it is definitely not up there with the first couple films.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »
     Minority Report: Widescreen (2002/United States)

DreamWorks Home Entertainment
Director:Steven Spielberg
Writing:Scott Frank (Screenwriter), Jon Cohen (Screenwriter), Philip K. Dick (Original Material By)
Length:145 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tom Cruise as Chief John Anderton
Max von Sydow as Director Lamar Burgess
Steve Harris as Jad
Neal McDonough as Fletcher
Patrick Kilpatrick as Knott

Plot:
Superstar Tom Cruise gives his "most potent action performance" (David Ansen, Newsweek) in director Steven Spielberg's Minority Report.

For six years, Washington D.C. has been murder-free thanks to astounding technology which identifies killers before they commit their crimes. But when the chief of the Precrime Unit (Cruise) is himself accused of a future murder, he has just 36 hours to discover who set him up – or he'll fall victim to the "perfect" system he helped create. It's a mind-blowing action thriller that's such an achievement it "reminds us why we go to the movies in the first place" (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times'.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • 4-Page Booklet

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I only ever watched once... when I first got it. So I went into this one barely remembering anything about the movie. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It is a pretty cool idea for a storyline. It was fun watching it all unfold. While I have never been a huge fan of Tom Cruise—I don't dislike him.. but never seen anything special about him either—I did like him in this one. If you haven't checked out this movie yet... it is one I would recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
     Deep Blue Sea (1999/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Renny Harlin
Writing:Duncan Kennedy (Writer), Donna Powers (Writer), Wayne Powers (Writer)
Length:105 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Thomas Jane as Carter Blake
Saffron Burrows as Dr. Susan McAlester
Samuel L. Jackson as Russell Franklin
Jacqueline McKenzie as Janice Higgins
Michael Rapaport as Tom Scoggins
Stellan Skarsgård as Jim Whitlock

Plot:
Researchers on the undersea laboratory Aquatica have genetically altered the brains of captive sharks to develop a potential cure for Alzheimer’s disease. There is one unexpected side effect. The sharks are getting smarter. Which could mean trouble for the researchers. And lunch for the sharks.

You can swim but you can’t hide when a tropical storm floods Aquatica, plunging Samuel L. Jackson, Saffron Burrows, Thomas Jane, LL Cool J and the rest of the crew into a harrowing battle of wits against sleek killing–and thinking!–machines.

Renny Harlin (Cliffhanger, Die Hard 2) directs, squeezing nerve-jangling suspense and thrills from a film that's a monster movie, a chase movie, a movie that snaps hold and won't let go. Dive in.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I haven't seen in quite some time. It is definitely not the best shark movie out there... but it is enjoyable for what it is. A good way to waste a couple hours. There is a bit of blood in this one... especially with the way it spreads through the water... and a little bit of gore as well. But nothing too extreme. It isn't one I would watch often... but I can see watching it again at some point. It is worth checking out... but don't get your hopes up too high.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
Underrated fun IMO. I love the fact that the sharks die the same way the sharks in Jaws 1-4 die (and in the same order) and the commentary, especially Samuel L. Jackson, is hilarious (he talks about how he thought the film was going to be a failure and how wrong he was).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »

The Addams Family

Possibilities:
Note that these are only some of the possibilities I could watch... no way I could list them all.
Carolyn Jones
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
  • House of Wax
  • War of the Worlds
John Astin
  • Freaky Friday
  • Frighteners
  • National Lampoon's European Vacation
  • Teen Wolf Too
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
Underrated fun IMO. I love the fact that the sharks die the same way the sharks in Jaws 1-4 die (and in the same order) and the commentary, especially Samuel L. Jackson, is hilarious (he talks about how he thought the film was going to be a failure and how wrong he was).

I never listened to the commentary. While watching the movie it seemed like Samuel L. Jackson really wasn't giving it his all... guess he wasn't :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
     The War of the Worlds: Special Collector's Edition (1953/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Byron Haskin
Writing:H. G. Wells (Original Material By), Barré Lyndon (Screenwriter)
Length:85 min.
Rating:G
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Gene Barry as Dr. Clayton Forrester
Ann Robinson as Sylvia Van Buren
Les Tremayne as General Mann
Robert Cornthwaite [Bob Cornthwaite] as Dr. Pryor
Sandro Giglio as Dr. Bilderbeck
Lewis Martin as Reverend Matthew Collins

Plot:
Laden with Academy Award®-winning special effects*, this chilling adaptation of H.G. Wells' frightening novel detailing a Martian invasion delivers fiery thrills, laser-hot action and unrelenting, edge-of-your-seat suspense. Gene Barry (TV's Bat Masterson) and Ann Robinson (TV's Fury) are among the humans intrigued when a meteor-like object crashes to Earth... but its occupants are definitely not friendly. The assault on Earth is underway, and the Martian machines – hovering "swan"-shaped vehicles of destruction – are both beautiful and terrifying as they cut a relentless path of annihilation. Produced by George Pal (When Worlds Collide) and directed by Byron Haskin (Treasure Island), The War Of The Worlds is widely regarded as one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time and received three Oscar® nominations*.

*Oscar® Winner, Best Special Effects, 1953. Additional Nominations: Best Film Editing; Best Sound Recording.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned
  • The Mercury Theatre on the Air presents The War Of The World

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this classic sci-fi. And I must say... I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how they did the martians... and their ships. I liked the way the story was told. And I enjoyed how the story unfolded. I especially got a kick out of the ending... what finally beat the martians. I like how it wasn't saying the martians were beat by us all-powerful humans... but rather... we humans lucked out. I can definitely see myself watching this one again. If you are like me... and never seen this move before... it is one I would definitely recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »
     Freaky Friday (1976/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Gary Nelson
Writing:Mary Rodgers (Screenwriter), Mary Rodgers (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Rating:G
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Barbara Harris as Mrs. Andrews
Jodie Foster as Annabel
John Astin as Mr. Andrews
Patsy Kelly as Mrs. Schmauss
Dick Van Patten as Harold Jennings
Vicki Schreck as Virginia

Plot:
Now experience all the laughs of the original comedy classic that inspired Disney's hilarious hit remake. Trading places was never so funny, and it could only happen on Friday the 13th! that's when the tomboyish and free-spirited Annabel (Jodie Foster) switches bodies with her straitlaced mother, Ellen (Barbara Harris), and suddenly finds herself responsible for running the entire household. In turn Ellen, now in her daughter's body, faces the daunting challenges of school, including a typing test, field hockey competition, and much more!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This movie is just plain fun! I got several chuckles out of it. I really enjoyed the field Hockey game I got a few laughs out of those scenes. The Baseball game in the park was pretty fun as well. Then there was the last scene of the movie... and once again I couldn't help but to laugh at it. There were a few familiar faces in this one... other then what I listed above there was the guy that played Arnold in Happy Days... as well as Marvin Kaplan who I have seen in several TV Series of the time. and then there is Sorrell Brooke as the principle... who was of course Boss Hogg on The Dukes of Hazzard. I am the first to admit that I enjoyed the remake of Freaky Friday with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan... but I have to say... I prefer this one!

The DVD itself isn't bad... but it could have been much better. Both the audio and video are just fine... but when it comes to extras it leaves a bit to be desired. There is one game you can play... which is a match game. Very simple and very boring once you play it once or twice. But the "Look Back" with Jodie Foster was pretty cool. She don't only look back on Freaky Friday... but all the movies she did for Disney. I did enjoy watching it. And that is all the movie related extras you get. The only other thing on the disc is the "also from Disney" trailers.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 02:03:50 AM »
The next series I own is the cartoon The Adventures of Aquaman... but I have no movies with those voice actors so I must go on to the next series, which is...

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Possibilities:
Bruce Campbell
  • Army of Darkness
  • Bubba Ho-Tep
  • Evil Dead
  • From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money
  • Maniac Cop
  • Serving Sara
Billy Drago
  • The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
  • Mirror Mirror 3: Voyeur
  • Mirror Mirror 4: Reflections
  • Tremors IV: The Legend Begins