Author Topic: TV Stars in the Movies: On-Going Mega Marathon  (Read 31924 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
TV Stars in the Movies: On-Going Mega Marathon
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:58:22 AM »
TV Stars in the Movies
On-Going Mega Marathon
OK... Here is my idea for this thread. One of my favorite movie marathons is TV Stars in the Movies where I take the main stars and regulars from TV series and watch them in movies they have been. The size of the role in the movie don't really matter though I prefer it to be a decent size. But there is many movies I either never seen or haven't seen in many years to know this information. So I have to say once again (as any man will tell you).... Size Don't Matter!  :tease:

So for this thread I will be... going in order... taking each TV series and trying to watch at least one movie for each star/regular in the series. Yes there will be a lot of people I will have to skip. Unfortunately in some series this will include the main star of the series... simply because I have no movie for that person. But I will do my best to cover as many people as possible.

I have literally hundreds of TV Series I collect... with more coming in all the time. So this is going to be an on-going marathon that I will be working on... off and on... for a VERY long time. While I think this thread sounds like a whole lot of fun... It is one that I can only hope I could possibly ever get to the end of!

Please feel free to add any thoughts, questions or suggestions to the thread.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: TV Stars in the Movies: On-Going Mega Marathon
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »
1st TV Series in My Collection

21 Jump Street

Possibilities:
Note that these are only some of the possibilities I could watch... no way I could list them all.
Johnny Depp
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • The Pirates of the Caribbean Movies
Peter DeLuise
  • Children of the Night
Steven Williams
  • DarkWolf
  • Jason Goes to Hell
  • Rambo: First Blood Part II
  • Twilight Zone: The Movie

My Notes:
Not a very good start for my first TV Series. Only the one choice for Peter DeLuise... and no choices at all for two of the stars... Nothing for Holly Robinson Peete or Dustin Nguyen! Though I do have many more then the listed choices for Johny Depp. But I am planning to only watch 1 movie per person... so looks like three reviews for people from this series... in no particular order.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:00:28 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:24:36 AM »
Talk about a coincidence... I posted this thread this evening... expecting to watch the first movie tomorrow. And I just looked ahead for my celebrity birthday thread to see who's birthday is tomorrow... and who do I see? Johnny Depp:laugh:

And if that is not enough... I been on a real Bones kick the last week. Which I am sure I will watch more of tomorrow... and tomorrow is also the birthday of Michaela Conlin (Angela on Bones) as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
     A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

New Line Home Video
Director:Wes Craven
Writing:Wes Craven (Writer)
Length:91 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
John Saxon as Lt. Thompson
Ronee Blakley as Marge Thompson
Heather Langenkamp as Nancy Thompson
Amanda Wyss as Tina Gray
Nick Corri as Rod Lane
Johnny Depp as Glen Lantz

Plot:
From modern horror master Wes Craven (Scream, Scream 2) comes a timeless shocker that remains the standard bearer for terror.

Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) is having grisly nightmares. Something monstrous wants to kill her. Meanwhile, her high-school friends, who are having the very same dream, are being slaughtered in their sleep by the hideous fiend of their shared nightmare. When the police ignore her explanation, she herself must confront the killer in his shadowy realm.

Featuring John Saxon (Enter The Dragon) and Johnny Depp in his first starring role and mind-bending special effects, this horror classic gave birth to one of the most infamous undead villains in cinematic history. Reportedly naming Freddy Krueger after a kid who had bullied him in school, writer-director Craven hatches a shock-fest from hell that "goes straight to the heart of terror" (Seattle Times).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
The A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise has always been one of my favorite. And this first one always been my favorite in the franchise. Matter of fact... I would even say it is one of my favorite horror movies of all time! This has a couple actors in it that I am very familiar with. Of course there is a young Johnny Depp. And then there is Heather Langenkamp... who I remember well as one of the children on the sitcom Just the Ten of Us. While still sarcastic... in this one Freddy Krueger is played a bit more straight... as they didn't add as much comedy to the character as the later ones did. Though I do like the later ones as well... I prefer him like he is in this movie. I have watched this movie so many times that I basically know it by heart... but yet I still enjoy every minute of watching it. I have seen this movie many times before I bought the DVD set... and since I bought it... tracking it in DVD Profiler... I have seen it 14 times. I have had the DVD set since it was first released in 1999. So that is 14 times in the last 12 years alone.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »
It figures you would start with Nightmare  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
Yeah... I just couldn't help myself!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
     Children of the Night (1992/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment
Director:Tony Randel
Writing:Christopher Webster (Story By), Nicolas Falacci (Story By), Tony Randel (Story By), William Hopkins (Original Material By), Nicolas Falacci (Screenwriter)
Length:91 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
Karen Black as Karen Thompson
Peter DeLuise as Mark Gardner
Ami Dolenz as Lucy Barrett
Maya McLaughlin as Cindy Thompson
Evan MacKenzie as Frank Aldin
David Sawyer as Czakyr

Plot:
This spine-tingling thriller in the tradition of Dracula and The Lost Boys will take you to the ultimate in supernatural evil: a town where every living soul is a vampire. Everyone ... except you.

Allburg is an idyllic small town, far removed from the crime of the big city. Safe, peaceful ... and in deadly danger. When a vampire is released from his long imprisonment in an underground crypt, the unsuspecting town becomes the target of his unearthly bloodlust. One by one, the entire population becomes either vampire or helpless victim. A teenage girl, a school teacher and a wino become an unlikely trio of vampire hunters as they struggle to destroy a monstrous danger more unspeakable than death in this truly terrifying tale of horror and suspense.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one is a fairly low budget movie... that if I am not mistaken was direct to video. At least here in the US. This is not what I would call a great movie.... but I have certainly seen worse. Even though I do see obvious downfalls of this movie... it is definitely on the cheesy side... but for some reason I find myself enjoying this movie. There is a couple familiar names in this movie. First there is Karen Black who has done her fair share of horror in her career. Then there is Peter DeLuise... who was on the TV Series 21 Jump Street. Like most vampire movies... this one plays around with the legend a little. The main being how some of the vampires sleep the day away under water.... with their lungs on the outside of their bodies. While others sleep in a cocoon.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
     Darkwolf (2002/United States)
IMDb

Director:Richard Friedman
Writing:Geoffrey Alan Holliday (Original Material By), Chuck Scholl (Original Material By), Geoffrey Alan Holliday (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Samaire Armstrong as Josie
Ryan Alosio as Turley
Andrea Bogart as Stacey
Jaime Bergman as McGowan
Alexis Cruz as Miguel
Aaron Van Wagner as Tom

Plot:
A new breed of horror roams the streets of Los Angeles. It's the Darkwolf, a vicious werewolf with a thirst for blood – and lust for Josie, a sexy, unsuspecting woman with a mysterious power she is only beginning to understand. Once the Darkwolf catches Josie's scent, nothing can stop his insatiable hunger to mate with her...and he'll kill anyone who gets in his way!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Over all I would say that this one is a decent werewolf movie... but is far from the best I have seen.  There is some pretty cool werewolf attacks in the movie... but the special effects leaves much to be desired... especially the transformations from human to werewolf... where they literally... and on a couple most obviously was pure CGI work... and not very good CGI at that. The couple that was most obvious literally showed the transformation with a computer animation! Yes... it literally looked like a cartoon done with the computers. What is with that!?! A word of warning for those of you that don't care for it in the movies. This movie is pretty much loaded with nudity. I know that some on at least 1 yahoo group I will be sending this to will want to know that ahead of time. I bought this movie back in October of 2007 at Walmart... during their Halloween sale. I got it for only $5.00... so lets put it this way. If I would have paid any more then that for this movie... I would have been disappointed in my purchase. So if you are curios about this one... do yourself a favor... be sure you are able to pick it up cheap.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »
Next TV Series in My Collection

Possibilities:
Note that these are only some of the possibilities I could watch... no way I could list them all.
Kiefer Sutherland
  • The Lost Boys
  • Stand By Me
  • Taking Lives
  • Young Guns
Sarah Clarke
  • Happy Endings
  • Twilight
Elisha Cuthbert
  • Believe
  • House of Wax
  • Love Actually
  • Old School
Sarah Wynter
  • Dead Like Me: Life After Death
  • Lost Souls
  • Species II
Mary Lynn Rajskub
  • Little Miss Sunshine
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Road Trip

My Notes:
This time I got some choices of some of my old favorites as well as some new... never before seen titles.  :thumbup: Just a reminder... I won't be going in any particular order. But will watch 1 movie for each person listed above.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
Pete - have you seen Little Miss Sunshine before? If not, you really must. Just seeing the title makes me smile. This has lots of laugh out loud moments and I've seen it many times.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Kathy... that is one of the ones I never seen before. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
     Stand by Me: Special Edition (1986/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Video
Director:Rob Reiner
Writing:Raynold Gideon (Screenwriter), Bruce A. Evans (Screenwriter), Stephen King (Original Material By)
Length:89 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Music Only: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Wil Wheaton as Gordie Lachance
River Phoenix as Chris Chambers
Corey Feldman as Teddy Duchamp
Jerry O'Connell as Vern Tessio
Kiefer Sutherland as Ace Merrill
Casey Siemaszko as Billy Tessio

Plot:
In a small woodsy Oregon town, a group of friends – sensitive Gordie (Wil Wheaton), tough-guy Chris (River Phoenix), flamboyant Teddy (Corey Feldman), and scaredy-cat Vern (Jerry O'Connell) – are in search of a missing teenager's body. Wanting to be heroes in each other's and their hometown's eyes, they set out on an unforgettable two-day trek that turns into an odyssey of self-discovery. They sneak smokes, tell tall tales, cuss 'cause it's cool, and band together when the going gets tough. When they encounter the town's knife-wielding hoods who are also after the body, the boys discover a strength they never knew they had. STAND BY ME is a rare and special film about friendship and the indelible experiences of growing up. Filled with humor and suspense, it is based on the novella "The Body" by Stephen King.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have always heard good things about. But it is the first time I ever got the chance to see it. There is a few people in this movie that I know from TV Series. There is Kiefer Sutherland (24), Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Jerry O'Connell (Sliders). This movie reminds me a bit of my childhood. A simpler time. A time when you could go out and play... exploring the neighborhood without your parents having to worry where you are every minute of the day. Something that just don't seem to exist anymore. Though the setting of this movie is well before my time... it still made me think of the simpler times when I was at that age. So much has changed since then. Unfortunately not for the better.

I had some pretty high expectations going into this movie. I was hoping not too high... taking away from my enjoyment. Luckily that wasn't the case. As I really enjoyed every minute of it. The movie is a really good drama with just enough lightheartedness to off set it from becoming to dramatic. I especially got a kick out of when the kids out on their adventure had to cross through a lake in the woods. Coming out the other side discovering they were covered in leaches. If by chance... like me... you haven't had the chance to see this movie before... be sure to check it out soon. I highly recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
     Twilight (2008/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Summit Entertainment
Director:Catherine Hardwicke
Writing:Melissa Rosenberg (Screenwriter), Stephenie Meyer (Original Material By)
Length:122 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan
Sarah Clarke as Renée
Matt Bushell as Phil
Billy Burke as Charlie Swan
Gil Birmingham as Billy Black
Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black

Plot:
Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) doesn’t expect much when she moves to the small town of Forks, Washington, until she meets the mysterious and handsome Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson)—a boy who’s hiding a dark secret: he’s a vampire. As their worlds and hearts collide, Edward must battle the bloodlust raging inside him as well as a coterie of undead that would make Bella their prey. Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling sensation by Stephenie Meyer, Twilight adds a dangerous twist to the classic story of star-crossed lovers.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:
I decided to give this movie a second chance today. The first time I watched it I was less then impressed. Matter of fact I only rated it a 2.5 out of a possible 5 rating. Which says to me a fairly average movie... not to expect much from it. I last watched it 2 years ago. So I thought it would be a good time to give it another go. After watching it... I was able to get into the story a little more then last time. But this show still didn't impress me a whole lot. I really can't see where this whole Twilight-mania is coming from. But then again... I guess I am really not the target audience either. There was some things I liked about the movie... and some things I didn't. I really enjoyed the side story of the killings and the protection of Bella. Even though it is only slight... it put a horror aspect into the show for me. I absolutely hated the aspect of how they changed the effects of sunlight on vampires, though that did explain away how they could be out in the day time. I did kind of like the fact that there could be good and bad vampires... just like in the human race. I didn't care much for the narration of Bella's in portions of the movie. The idea of the narration wasn't bad.... but the flowery romance novel like writing of it put me off. Though as I said... the second viewing did help me to enjoy it a little more then I did the first time. But it is still not what I would call a great movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
Maybe you appreciated it more because you have watch Vampire Sucks last week :laugh:

OK I laugh but I ordered it because of you :(

I guess I am really not the target audience either.
Of course you aren't... Brittany is, but she is probably already too old for that kind of crap and she certainly know better because of her dad ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:34:49 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
Oh Brittany has never seen it... and has always refused to watch it!  :P But you know... you could be on to something... it had to look better after recently watching Vampire Sucks!  :laugh:
Pete