Author Topic: Thor  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Thor
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »
I went to see Thor a few days ago.  I really enjoyed the movie and think it is definitely worth seeing.  It is one of the better comic book type movies I've seen.  Marvel is doing a good job with these movies.

I didn't know much about the character before seeing the movie.  I did some research after seeing the movie and found out that the comic book version of Thor is based on Thor from Norse mythology.  I think some of the mythology stuff is in the movie - though I'm not familiar with that either.  The few things I read after seeing the movie make it seem like that stuff made it into the movie as well.  There is a decent origin story that shares some history of the character and how he ends up on Earth.  Some of the movie takes place in Asgard and some takes place on Earth. 

There are some cool special effects in some scenes that don't distract from the story, which I think is good.  The story is pretty strong and makes for a very interesting and entertaining story.  Yes some of what happens isn't that believable, but that doesn't bother me because the movie is so entertaining.  Asgard looks really good.  The movie is showing in 3D.  I did end up seeing the 3D version just because of the timing of the showings and when I was able to see the movie.  The 3D really didn't add anything and I don't think there was a need for it to be in 3D.  I think it was just another case of the studio or producers or someone wanting to be able to charge more for the tickets.  I don't mind 3D, and I've seen a few movies in which I thought the 3D was done well.  There wasn't anything special about the 3D in this one.

The characters are interesting and the cast does a really good job with their parts.  Chris Hemsworth is really good as Thor.  He looks like he could be as strong as Thor is supposed to be without looking like a weightlifter.  He also looks good the time or two when he has his shirt off.

I really enjoyed Thor.  It builds on the previous Marvel movies and is laying a bit more groundwork for the Avengers movie.  It is definitely worth watching and I will be adding this to my collection once it comes out.

Thor

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Thor
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
I saw this at the beginning of the month. It was my first foray into current cinema 3D and have to say I quite enjoyed the experience. I thought the film was good and the 3D effects came over well except when there a bit of onscreen action when it seemed to get a bit lost. As you say setting up the Avengers with references to SHIELD and Tony Stark.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »
The 3D wasn't bad really...just not images that stood for being really cool like has happened with some other movies I've seen in 3D.

There is a short appearance of someone who is another member of the Avengers... I didn't really realize exactly who it was at the time, but I had a feeling he was important..he stood out to me.  I did some research after seeing the movie and found out who it was. 

(click to show/hide)

Did you notice him?

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »
Nope sorry, but after checking around the interweb I remember the scene but the link was totalling missing me. I wasn't really into much of the US comic scene, stuck generally with UK comics or science fiction books, so tons of the references are way above me. Most of the references I get are from reading film magazines and science fiction magazines also sometimes from within the films I've seen like Iron Man for SHIELD and Tony Stark and relating them to articles I've read.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:53:10 AM »
I had no idea who he was when watching the movie. 

(click to show/hide)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
Yes I thought it was a bit odd grabbing that but not knowing the Avengers it meant nothing to me.

In fact my first thought when someone mentions The Avengers to me is for the UK series with Patrick MacNee and his assorted female leads - Honor Blackman, Diana Rigg, Linda Thorson.
Dave

My Library

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »
I've  only learned some stuff about the Avengers in the last few years.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:21 PM »
I figured he was someone special when he grabbed the bow (like the Marvel Green Arrow so to speak) but I have only rudimentary knowledge of both universes (Marvel, DC). I basically only know the "big guns".
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools