Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
« on: May 30, 2011, 07:11:45 AM »
I really liked the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, though the plot did get overly complicated by the third one.  I still enjoy the movies.  I recently had myself a little Pirates marathon.  I love the character of Captain Jack.  He is just so entertaining and interesting.  I've been wanting to see the fourth movie ever since I first heard it was being made, even before I knew what it was about.  I went to see it on opening day.  I've been meaning to post about it for like a week..I kept forgetting.

I have no idea how much time is supposed to have passed since the end of the third movie.  I think Jack's hair is slightly longer and he's added a few new trinkets to his outfit.  He's still got his hat though. 

While not exactly a direct sequel, this one does pick up the thread that was left at the end of the third movie about Jack going off to look for the fountain of youth.  Several things are happening during the movie, but the plot doesn't get overly complicated and confusing.  I think it makes sense that Jack, along with a few other characters, would be trying to find the fountain of youth.  It makes for a fun, entertaining movie.  This one does stand alone fairly well, so people don't need to have seen all three of the other movies to follow this one.  I think certain things about Jack and Barbossa will make more sense if the previous movies are seen first. 

There are only a few characters back from the first movies - Jack, Barbossa, and Gibbs are the main ones back, though Jack's father is also back in a short scene.  This movie is more focused on Jack, something that I really liked since I like the character so much. Barbossa is a bit different and it is kind strange.  I did miss Pintel and Ragetti.  They always made me laugh in the first movies with the things they were doing.  I also sort of missed the two military guys who turned pirate by the end of the third movie.  With how things are explained, I think it is possible that a few of the other characters could return in another movie.  I've heard that a fifth movie will be made.

Angelica is a very interesting character given that she and Jack have a past.  Jack is a bit different where she is concerned.  Her father turns out to be Blackbeard, the most feared pirate.  Other pirates are afraid of him, and once it is shown what he and his ship can do, it is easy to see why.  There is something a bit supernatural about his ship.  I liked that element of the movie and think it was cool.  Blackbeard is a wonderful villain and a good opponent for Jack.  I liked Blackbeard better than Davy Jones.  Phillip is a religious man who is a captive on Blackbeard's ship.  Mermaids turn up, and they are not nice and friendly.  Syrena is the only mermaid that really receives any attention. 

I really enjoyed the movie.  It is fun and entertaining.  I do think it is worth watching, especially for people who liked the previous movies or who like Johnny Depp.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides