Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/8-2/10  (Read 12419 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/8-2/10
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
2/8 - 2/10
This weekend I am not going with any theme what so ever. I am just going to go with the flow... and watch whatever movie that I find myself in the mood for. Though I do want to watch some of my unwatched collection and make room for the new coming soon.... I won't be limiting myself to them. So this weekend I am watching...

Superman: Doomsday
When 'Lexcorp' accidentally unearths the intergalactic serial killer 'Doomsday', 'Superman' battles the creature head-on in the fight of his life...literally. The world collectively mourns its fallen hero; humanity realizes it will never feel truly safe again. Superman's enemies rejoice - all but 'Lex Luthor', who grieves the loss in his own demented manner, setting off a chilling chain of events that even he couldn't have foreseen.

Inspired by the best-selling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics' 'The Death of Superman', this feature-length animated adventure boasts exciting action sequences that rival anything you've ever seen starring the 'Man of Steel'.™

My Thoughts:
I am a fan of Superman: The Animated Series... and when I first ordered this I was under the impression this movie was off that series... but I was mistaken there. This is just an animated movie... separate from the series. That is not a bad thing... I enjoyed the movie... even as short as it was. I know a lot of fans of the comic books didn't like it because it left so much out and just didn't compare to the comics. There is where I am lucky... as I never read the comics version of this story.  Another thing I heard mentioned was on the talent used... I heard people not satisfied with Anne Heche doing the voice for Lois Lane. Now that I do agree with... her voice... and her attitude just didn't feel right for the character... and felt like it really took away from both the character and over all the movie for me. On the other hand... they had James Marsters (Spike on Buffy) voicing Lex Luthor... which at first felt weird... but it quickly grew on me and just felt right. Adam Baldwin (Jayne on Firefly) voiced Superman/Clark Kent... I never had a problem with that one... it felt right from the start. Over-All I really enjoyed the movie. I just wish it was longer then the very short 78 minutes.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 2/8-2/10
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »

Collinsville
The terrifying account of an actual Connecticut town where nearly fifty people are slaughtered in a two day killing spree. Who was the killer? Was it a homeless drifter? Or was it Kane Barker, the ruthless axe factory owner who died one hundred years before?

My Thoughts:
This is a (very) low budget horror movie that I got (extremely) cheap. It came in a set of 4 horror movies (Collinsville, Collinsville 2, Hell Asylum & Witchouse 3) Called Haunted by the Past that I got for only $5.99... that is approximately $1.50 per movie. As I said this movie is very low budget... no one in this movie you would recognize. The first thing I noticed is that for a low budget movie... yes it did have a low budget feel to it... but the quality of the actual filming was pretty good. Also the actors... even though unknown was not terrible. I found myself being able to enjoy the movie. Then the weirdness happened. First I notice that the story itself if very short... talking under an hour short. But to gain time... they made a round table conversation with the cast and crew documentary attached to the end... actually as part of the movie. A documentary that seemed serious... at least till the end.. which makes me question how serious was the documentary to start with? See in the documentary the actor that played the killer got into words with the director... and he ended up walking out on the discussion. Then tacked on the end of the documentary it showed a clip of the actor coming back to return a hat from the movie... and them getting into it again... this time with it getting physical... and the actor hitting the director... then asking if he was alright... about to call 911 but stops... then takes off. That is when you see a notice of this movie in the memory of the director. Implying that the director died do to the altercation. Which of course is all bull as this director has worked since this movie.

So like I said... the movie portion was good... the round-table discussion was fairly interesting till the argument begain... the ending was a complete joke. So I personally choose to look at this as an enjoyable... but very short movie. and can see myself watching the actual movie again... but will always stop it when it gets to the point of the documentary... even though it is made to be part of the movie. Now I sit here wondering if part 2 will at least be enjoyable. So I think I just may go ahead and watch it next.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

Collinsville Too
One year following the horrific slaughter in a small Connecticut town, the killing spree continues, and the people of Collinsville are terrified when the body count begins to rise.

My Thoughts:
OMG! What a disappointing piece of unwatchable crap! This is one that is a complete snooze-fest! The acting was unbearable... the dialog was actually painful to listen to... and the story itself was an unforgivable mess! I will definitely watch the first one again... but this one will not be placed into my dvd player ever again! Stay Away.... Stay Far Away!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »

Evan Almighty
'Evan Almighty' is a comedy for all ages that "you don't want to miss" (Kim Griffis, 'NBC-TV')! Everyone's favorite funnyman Steve Carell is at his hilarious best as junior congressman Evan Baxter, whose wish to "change the world" is heard by none other than God (Academy Award® winner Morgan Freeman). When God appears with the perplexing request to build an ark, Evan is sure he is losing it. But soon mysterious deliveries of wood and tools are being dropped on his doorstep, animals of every shape and size are flocking to him two by two, and his self-absorbed life goes from overnight success to almighty mess! It's a great time for everyone!

My Thoughts:
OK... I am a huge fan of Bruce Almighty... think it is one of Jim Carey's best movies!  So when I first heard that they were doing a sequel with the character Evan I had mixed feelings... was curios and wanted to see it... but bummed there was no Jim Carey. Not that I would know how they could do it with him again... but bummed all the same. Because of this I didn't allow myself to get to hyped about the movie.. but I think that is always a good thing... whenever I am really hyped about a movie I tend to get let down.

So watching this movie I was enjoying it... then I found myself laughing quite a bit. I don't feel it is as good as Bruce Almighty... but do think it was a really good movie. I can now hardly wait till I get in the mood again... and watch it as a double feature along with Bruce Almighty.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

Planet Terror
'DIRECTOR ROBERT RODRIGUEZ (SIN CITY) IS BACK' with a rip-roaring, zombie-infested rollercoaster of a movie that "sure as hell keeps you hanging on for the ride" (Peter Travers, 'Rolling Stone'). Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Bruce Willis, and an all-star cast fight for their lives in the ultimate showdown between an army of flesh-eating mutants and a motley group of rag-tag survivors. Featuring one of the most memorable screen heroines ever and the now legendary mock 'Machete' trailer, "'Planet Terror' is a total blast - funny, gloriously gory and over the top" (Christy Lemire, 'Associated Press').

My Thoughts:
Hmmm... what did I think of this movie? I am writing this right after I turned it off so really had no time to really reflect on it. Parts of me really enjoyed it for what it is.. but yet other parts of me felt a bit let down. Well... I love Rose McGowan... I have been a fan every since she joined the TV Series Charmed... so I really thought she was great. I think my main problem with the movie was the style it was made in.. I don't like the way they went out of their way to make a new movie look like it was on really old and damaged film stock. That is just something that makes no sense to me what so ever. Another thing I had a problem with... is some of the stuff was just so far fetched out there that it did take away from the movie for me a little. But as I said... over-all I did enjoy it to. I thought it was better then the other Grindhouse movie "Death Proof".

The gore is really up there on this movie.... so if you enjoy gore in your horror... you should enjoy all that is in this one. There was even some gross stuff in this one I really wish I didn't see! (those that seen the movie... think to when Rose McGowan's character was going to get raped at the old military base)  :yucky:

Of course this has a lot of extras with it. It is a 2-Disc special edition after all. But I really didn't look at the extras for it yet. I did flip though some of the Poster Art Gallery... but that is about it.

I can see myself watching this movie again... but  just when a certain mood hits.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »

Based on a story by suspence master Stephen King, '1408' is a gripping "roller-coaster of a head trip" (Owen Gleiberman, 'Entertainment Weekly') that will have you on the edge of your seat. John Cusack delivers "a tour de force performance" (Stephen Faber, 'Hollywood Reporter') as a skeptical writer investigating paranormal events. When he insists on staying in the reportedly haunted room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel against the grave warnings of the hotel manager (Samuel L. Jackson), he discovers the room's deadly secret an evil so powerful, no one has ever survived an hour within its walls. In the tradition of King's 'The Shining' and 'Misery', '1408' is "a psychologically thrilling movie that leaves you gasping in the end" (Desiree Belmarez, 'Denver Post').

My Thoughts:
Wow... I don't know what else to say other then I loved every minute of it. Sure there was some parts that was a little weirder then I would have liked... and some of it was a bit predictable. Especially for someone that watches a load of horror/Haunted house movies as I do. But over all... I enjoyed every second of it. The cast was really good. Johyn Cusack did a great job... but I though Samuel L. Jackson was outstanding. This is one I will definitely be watching again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »

Vacancy
When David (Luke Wilson) and Amy Fox's (Kate Beckinsale) car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they are forced to spend the night at the only motel around, with only the TV to entertain them--until they discover that the low-budget slasher movies they're watching were all filmed in the very room in which they're sitting. With hidden cameras now aimed at them--trapping them in rooms, crawlspaces, underground tunnels--and filming their every move, David and Amy must struggle to get out alive before they end up the next victems on tape.

My Thoughts:
This one was good... I really enjoyed it. I thought both Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale did a good job. But I do think the actor that played the hotel manager could have been better. I don't know what it was about him... but something just rubbed me the wrong way. But over all... definitely worth checking out.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »

The Abandoned
An American woman searching for her birth parents learns she has inherited a house in the middle of a forest in a remote area of Russia. It is the house where she was born. Abandoned and uninhabited for 40 years, it stands in total disrepair and neglect. What she finds is more than an old house. She meets a mysterious man claiming to be her twin brother and together they find the house holds dangerous secrets to a past they don't even remember. They are forced to relive a series of horrifying events and shocking murders that occurred just after they were born, and in the place where they were supposed to die.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies that was featured in the After Dark Horrorfest... and if I am not mistaken... the only of the 8 movies that had a larger theatrical release as well. This is a good movie... but a complicated one. It is one you really need to pay close attention to when you watch it. I feel that I still need to watch this one a second time to get some of the finer points of the movie. Unfortunately there is not that much when it comes to extras... just a featurette and some bonus trailers.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »

Dead Silence
From the writers and director of 'SAW' comes a new thriller of relentless terror! Ever since Mary Shaw was hunted down and killed, the small town of Ravens Fair has been haunted by horrific deaths. When a local's wife is brutally murdered, he returns home to unravel the terrifying legend of Mary Shaw and the reason why when you see her, you should never, ever scream.

My Thoughts:
This makes the 9th movie I watched this weekend... and I believe this is the best one I watched yet! This movie was great! I enjoyed it immensely. This is the perfect movie to watch late at night with all the lights out. I really liked that this one really wasn't about killer dummies... but was actually a ghost story. This is a movie that I will be watching again... I am sure many times to come. This is one I would highly recommend to any horror fan!
Pete