Author Topic: Month Long Birthday Marathon  (Read 12313 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Birthday Marathon
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »

Title: Sabrina: The Teenage Witch
Year: 1995
Director: Tibor Takacs
Rating: PG
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Melissa Joan Hart
Sherry Miller
Charlene Fernetz
Michelle Beaudoin
Ryan Reynolds
Tobias Mehler

Plot:
It's her 16th birthday, and Sabrina (MELISSA JOAN HART) is feeling a little strange. She just transferred to a new school, moved in with her two otherworldly aunts, and nothing is quite what it seems. Things can only get more complicated when Sabrina learns that she's a real witch. Now, she's got to make friends, memorize spells, and find a way to get a date for the school dance. It'll take a little hocus-pocus and a whole lot of adventure before Sabrina learns to control her powers and find true love.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I felt like something a little more light hearted this morning. So thought I would watch this TV Movie that originally aired on Showtime... and started the series of the same name. The first thing you notice when watching this movie is that it has different actresses playing the aunts then what the series has. After watching the series for years this was a little on the weird side since there is such differences. The boy that Sabrina likes in this movie is played by a very young Ryan Reynolds. I have become a fan of his since I have seen him in a handful of horror movies. Over-all I enjoyed the movie... was a lot of fun... and it kinda put me in the mood for the series again. No complaints quality wise... looks as good as it did when it first aired. But I do have to complain when it comes to extras... because there was none what so ever!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:11:15 AM »

Without a Trace: Season 1
Birthday Boy
For his eleventh birthday, Gabe Freedman is going to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium with his father. When the two get separated at the subway station, Bob is convinced he will meet up with his son at the next station, or at the park itself. After being unsuccessful in locating his son, Bob calls in the team who is convinced that the boy was abducted until evidence leads them to believe that Gabe may have run off on purpose.

My Thoughts:
This is a series I never knew of when it originally aired. I bought the first season set blind... I been wanting to pick up season 2 as well but never got the chance yet. Watching this episode makes me want to pick up the second season soon though. It is a very good episode. Of course it helps that I forgot the outcome from the first time I saw it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

Title: Street Tales of Terror
Year: 2005
Director: J. D. Hawkins, Frank Corey Sheilds
Rating: R
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
The StorytellerCorey Shields
Timothy Eric
Staci Harris
Loco
Troy Hogan

Plot:
STREET TALES OF TERROR is the Story of three killer thugs: J Dog, Keith and Peaches who terrorize a homeless man who witnessed them commit murder. While pleading for his life, the homeless man tells the trio of three "true" tales of terror and revenge.

"THE RECKONING" follows the story of Jessica, a little girl who is left to drown on dry land by her classmates after she is pushed into a swimming pool. On her birthday twenty years later, Jessica comes back to settle the score!

"THE CLINIC" is the second tale about Jaleesa Daniels, a young lady who is about to have an abortion. While waiting she has a series of visits that question her decision and her sanity. Are the dreams real or in her head?

"GRADUATION NIGHT" set in 1975, this tale follows what happens when a college student is raped during a mid-term party. As the final graduation night party ends, a special guest shows up to make the party livelier - DEADLIER!

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I decided on this one because this morning I wanted to watch something horror... but also wanted to watch something I haven't seen in a long time. The first thing I noticed is that this one has forced trailers that you can not skip any way. I tried to hit the menu key, I tried hitting Next and I even tried to just fast forward through them... with no luck what so ever. The movie itself is a low budget anthology. The acting definitely leaves a lot to be desired. But at the same time there is something a bit on the entertaining side as well at least in one or two of the segments. Though over-all not one I would recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »

Worst Week: The Complete Series
The Party
When Sam gives it his all to help the Clayton's prepare for Dick's birthday party, he loses his pants and some dignity in his effort to make everything perfect.

My Thoughts:
I just watched this episode (as well as the previous 4) of Worst Week. The entire first 5 episode leads to and includes the father's birthday party. I watched this series when it originally aired. It is a little better then I remember it being. But I have still seen better sitcoms. Definitely worth checking out if you have never seen it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »

Title: The Indian in the Cupboard
Year: 1995
Director: Frank Oz
Rating: PG
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Hal Scardino
Litefoot
Lindsay Crouse
Richard Jenkins
Rishi Bhat
Steve Coogan

Plot:
On his ninth birthday, Omri is presented with many gifts – the most unusual being a cupboard. But this is no ordinary wooden box. It is endowed with magical power that transforms Omri's plastic toy figurines into living creatures. The first miniature to be animated is a 19th Century Iroquois warrior named Little Bear, who is terrified at first by his alien surroundings, but soon bonds with his gigantic playmate. But when Omri's friend Patrick get in on the act and brings a six-shooting cowboy (David Keith, U-571) to life, their fantastic secret is in danger of being revealed. THE INDIAN IN THE CUPBOARD is terrific family entertainment from director Frank Oz (Bowfinger) and Melissa Mathison, the writer of E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Gallery
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Going into this one I couldn't remember if I ever seen it before or not. The trailer looked vaguely familiar but I didn't know if I was remembering the movie or just seeing the trailer before. After watching it I realize this is my first time seeing it. While it is not a bad movie... I found it... well I don't want to say slow. It just didn't keep my attention as much as I would have hoped. But it is a decent enough movie. And considering I got it in a 2 movie set along with Hook for only $6 I really can't complain at all... it is definitely worth the time and money I put into it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »

Charmed: Season 1
Dead Man Dating
Prue tries to avoid a birthday celebration as Piper befriends and saves the restless soul of a ghost who was murdered by a gang leader. The sisters save his soul and learn a valuable life lesson.

My Thoughts:
This one was another really good episode. One that deals with ghosts. I especially liked it since it was a big Piper episode. I also liked the way they put some Chinese folk lore into the story line for this one. This episode remains one of my favorites. Not only do we have Pru's birthday in this episode... but also the ghost's birthday is talked of in the beginning of the episode. Watching this episode makes me want to watch the entire series again!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »

Three's Company: Season 1
Roper's Niece
Mr. Roper's niece is visiting, and he doesn't want her to leave the house. He asks Jack (whom he thinks is gay) to take her out so that she'll be safe with him. Meanwhile, it's Janet's birthday, and Jack spends all night with the niece.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode. There is a few good laughs in it. Of course this is Three's Company so there is the misunderstanding as there is in what seems like every episode. And then ends with Jack giving Janet the perfect birthday gift. Definitely a good episode... but I have seen better.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 02:46:58 AM »

The Facts of Life: Season 2
Shoplifting
Jo wants to surprise Mrs. Garrett with a birthday gift to rival Blair's. But the real surprise occurs when Mrs. Garrett goes to exchange it and is arrested for shoplifting.

My Thoughts:
This is a sitcom I always liked. It is one that knew how to get it's laughs but at the same time tackle the serious issues. And they did so without taking any type of cheap shot at the issue they were taking on. It was always done fun but respectfully. While a good episode... this one isn't the best episode I ever seen... but it has a few chuckles for you.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 03:57:25 AM »

Adventures of Superman: Season 1
The Birthday Letter
Superman is implicated in the abduction of a young girl who is thought to have information concerning hidden counterfeit plates.

My Thoughts:
I always enjoyed this episode. I especially enjoyed the ending where Superman is flying the crippled little girl around the city. But how times have changed! The idea of a cripple child staying home by herself during the day is unheard of now! That would be a good way to get into some serious trouble. And here when this show was made ('50s) they acted like it was no big deal at all. I also got a kick out of when Superman shows up at the girl's home... she is sitting there reading a Superman comic book.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:02 AM »

All in the Family: Season 2
The Elevator Story
The Bunkers are celebrating Edith's birthday at an Italian restaurant in the city when Archie discovers that Edith failed to mail out a payment to the insurance company. This leads him to run across the street to drop it off. However, on his way he gets stuck in an elevator along with a pregnant Puerto Rican and her husband, an aging hippie, and an erudite black businessman.

My Thoughts:
This is a good classic sitcom.  One that definitely pushes the limits of the time... let alone something you would see in today's politically correct times. It was really funny to see Archie Bunker stuck in an elevator with some of the people he hates the most. Let alone Edith going heavy on the wine at dinner waiting for Archie to get back.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »

Mike & Molly: Season 1
Victoria's Birthday
When Victoria panics about turning 30, she drags Mike and Molly into her life Crisis

My Thoughts:
This is a new series this season. One I like... but the episodes are a little hit and miss for me. I recorded this episode on my cable box when it aired this past Monday. This episode... while not bad is not a favorite. I really think they could have done better with the storyline.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
Now, personally, I thought this was a terrific episode.  I thought they showed real growth with Victoria and hope that continues in future episodes.  I know this show has been renewed for a second season, so they'll certainly have the opportunity for that.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
I don't know... possibly all the church/singing put me off some on this episode.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I see I already goofed up on this marathon. I never got around to a movie for it yesterday. And haven't done anything at all today. Some reason I am having a tough time getting in the mood for it. This is the first year I tried to do a full month. That is probably part of the problem. I probably should have stuck with a week. Oh well.... we will see how much I actually end up doing here. but it don't look like it will be nearly as much as I expected.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
I really need to see if I can get something else watched over the next couple days!

BTW... today is my niece Nicole's birthday! Was so close to falling on my birthday!
Pete