Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 167190 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #315 on: July 02, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »
No, haven't seen it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
     She, the Ultimate Weapon (2002/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Length:435 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, Japanese: DTS 5.1
Subtitles:English

Plot:
SHE, the Ultimate Weapon is the story of Shuji and Chise, a couple of typical high school students living in a Hokkaido City, Japan at a time of war. As with most first romances, the pair must deal with peer group pressure, gossip, intense emotions, feelings of ambivalence and the fact that Chise is a secret military weapon capable of levelling a medium-sized city!

Created by Studio Gonzo (Burst Angel, Full Metal Panic, Hellsing and Trinity Blood) She The Ultimate Weapon Box Set gathers together for the first time all 13 episodes of the TV series and the "Another Love Song" feature length OVA in one beautiful deluxe art box.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
1.01 We Fall in Love

The premise is good. I also enjoyed the episodes I have seen so far, but for some reason I never finished watching this series. But I definitely will some day.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
For "She-Ra: Princess of Power" I decided to watch the movie "Secret of the Swords" again. This movie is cut together from the first five She-Ra episodes and comprises the origin story. The following review is a repost though.

The Secret of the Sword (1985/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

BCI Eclipse, Entertainment Rights (United States)
Director:Ed Friedman, Lou Kachivas, Marsh Lamore, Bill Reed, Gwen Wetzler
Writing:Larry Ditillio (Writer), Bob Forward (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
John Erwin as He-Man
Melendy Britt as She-Ra
Alan Oppenheimer as Skeletor
Linda Gary as Teela
George DiCenzo as Hordak

Plot:
For the honor of Grayskull! Experience the thrill, fantasy and excitement in the enchanted world of Etheria where She-Ra and her friends of The Great Rebellion battle the terrible Evil Horde to reclaim their once beautiful land from the hands of destruction!

This two-disc deluxe set comprises The Secret of the Sword - the theatrical picture that introduced She-Ra to a generation - and the Top Five tales from She-Ra , Princess of Power®, as voted by fans of this captivating, 93-episode series.

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I was in the mood to watch something related to the He-Man franchise, so I decided to watch this theatrical movie send-off to the She-Ra series. Essentially this movie, even though it was released in theatres before the series aired, was cut together from the first five episodes of the He-Man spin-off series. In a campy sort of way I still enjoy watching it to this day. I am not ashamed to admit that I loved watching the He-Man and She-Ra series when I was young and that I still enjoy watching it.
This "pilot" is a good introduction to She-Ra and we also get to see a lot of the character from the He-Man series again. Too bad that the new He-Man series didn't survive long enough to have She-Ra appearing. I really would have like to see her updated look and origin story.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »
Skipping "Sherlock", I have already reviewed it in this thread.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
     Significant Others: The Series (1998/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:273 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Jennifer Garner (13 Going On 30, "Alias"), Eion Bailey (Fight Club, Almost Famous) and Scott Bairstow ("Party of Five") star as three twentysomething best friends living in Los Angeles and having the best - and worst! - times of their lives.

Whether they're falling in love with the wrong people, auditioning chickens, or writing a parent's eulogy, Nell (Garner), Campbell (Bailey), and Henry (Bairstow) know that no matter how wondrous, ridiculous, and painful life may be, they'll always have each other's friendship to carry them through.

The complete series from the creators of "Party of Five" reminds us what it's like to be young, passionate, and willing to risk everything...over and over again. There's no one better to do it with than your SIGNIFICANT OTHERS.

Significant Others
1.01 Pilot
Cast: Scott Bairstow (Henry Calloway), Eion Bailey (Campbell Chasin), Michael Weatherly (Ben Chasin), Jennifer Garner (Nell Glennon), Elizabeth Mitchell (Jane Merril-Chasin), Gigi Rice (Charlotte), Jennifer Savidge (Bev Chasin), Channon Roe (Nicky), Joseph D. Reitman (Stu), Kenneth Kimmins (Nell's PR Firm Boss), Richard Masur (Leonard Chasin), Ali Landry (Gorgeous Woman), Cheryl Carter (Justice of the Peace), Gene Chronopoulos (Tony), Louisa Abernathy (Focus Group Woman #1), Jane Edith Wilson (Focus Group Woman #2), Kelly Ann McCarthy (Focus Group Woman #3), Krystal Benn (Eight Year Old), Talia-Lynn Prairie (Three Year Old), Fred Ornstein (Uncle Shelley), Michael Elliot (Bartender)

This series was a blind buy some time ago. I never really enjoyed this series. I think it is boring.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 04, 2012, 11:27:58 PM »
     The Simpsons: Season One (1989/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (Germany)
Length:287 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, English, German

The Simpsons
1.01 Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire (1989-12-17)
Writer: Mimi Pond (Writer)
Director: David Silverman
Cast: Dan Castellaneta (Homer/Grampa/Barney), Julie Kavner (Marge/Patty/Selma/Various (voice)), Nancy Cartwright (Bart/Nelson/Todd/Various (voice)), Yeardley Smith (Lisa/Various (voice)), Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns/Smithers/Flanders/Skinner/Otto), Hank Azaria (Apu/Moe/Wiggum/Carl/Dr. Nick), Jo Ann Harris (Various (voice)), Pamela Hayden (Milhouse/Various (voice))

I have followed the first few years of the Simpsons, but stopped at some point. Not because I thought it was getting bad, but somehow I lost interest. Probably it just got too many episodes and now it is hard to catch up again.
I enjoyed this first episode. The animation is not quite as bad as I expected it. It changed a lot though in later seasons.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 04, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »
Skipping the mini series "Sisi". I have reviewed it here though.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
     Sledge Hammer!: Season One (1986/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Length:534 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
In the fall of 1986, an unsuspecting TV nation met a new kind of comedy hero who made Rambo look like Pee Wee Herman. David Rasche starred as the trigger-happy lawman whose hatred of criminal scum and yogurt eatin' creeps was matched only by his love of excessive force and a .44 Magnum. Over the next two seasons, this hilariously deranged lampoon of DIRTY HARRY and plenty of other targets became one of the most notorious series in television history and launched a rabid cult of fans that grows to this day. This is SLEDGE HAMMER!

The complete first season of SLEDGE HAMMER! is now newly re-mastered (including removal of the laugh track) and loaded with an arsenal of exclusive extras that features uncensored footage, all-new interviews with stars David Rasche, Harrison Page and Anne-Marie Martin, audio commentaries and more, all given the "Hammer" seal of approval by Series Creator & Executive Producer Alan Spencer.

Sledge Hammer!
1.01 Pilot: Under the Gun
Writer: Alan Spencer (Writer)
Director: Martha Coolidge
Cast: David Rasche (Sledge Hammer), Anne-Marie Martin (Dori Doreau), Harrison Page (Captain Trunk), Leslie Morris (Officer Majoy), Joe Under (Short Guy), Larry Wilmore (Cottage Cheese Clodman), Jesse Aragon (Felix Navidad), D. W. Brown (Luxley), Joanne Baron (Janice Flambo), Don Stark (Kruggle), John Lawlor (Reisner), Judie Aronson (Francine Flambo), John Vernon (Mayor Jack Flambo)

I really enjoyed this series when I first seen it on TV. I still like it. It's a Dirty Harry parody. I still have to think of Sledge Hammer when I see David Rasche in something.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 05, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
     Sliders: Seasons One & Two (1995/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:1017 min.
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Get ready for Seasons One and Two of the breakthrough Sci-Fi series 'Sliders'!

Quinn (Jerry O'Connell), a brilliant grad student, has created a device that opens a wormhole to an infinite number of parallel universes where history has taken different paths. His first test trip goes awry, stranding his physics professor, Arturo (John Rhys-Davies), his friend, Wade (Sabrina Lloyd), and bystander Rembrandt "Crying Man" Brown (Cleavant Derricks) in parallel San Franciscos.

Now, this foursome of Sliders must travel from one alternate reality to another in the hope of somehow finding their way home.

Sliders
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Tracy Tormé (Screenwriter), Robert K. Weiss (Original Material By), Tracy Tormé (Original Material By)
Director: Andy Tennant
Cast: Jerry O'Connell (Quinn), Sabrina Lloyd (Wade), Cleavant Derricks (Rembrandt), John Rhys-Davies (Arturo), Linda Henning (Mrs. Mallory), Joseph A. Wapner (Commissar Wapner), Doug Llewelyn (Comrade Llewelyn), Garwin Sanford (Doc), Roger R. Cross (Wilkins), Yee Jee Tso (Wing), Frank C. Turner (Crazy Kenny), Gary Jones (Hurley), John Novak (Ross J. Kelly/Interrogator), Don MacKay (Artie Field), Alex Bruhanski (Pavel), Jay Brazeau (KGB Colonel), Andrew Kavadas (Vendor), Sook Yin Lee (Pat), Raoul Ganee (Sentry), Tom Butler (Michael Mallory), Rusty Burrell (Bailiff (uncredited)), Jim Byrnes (Announcer (uncredited)), Wayne Cox (PBS Spokesman (uncredited)), Larry Musser (Jake (uncredited)), Harry Shearer (DJ (uncredited)), Sara Walker (Nan (uncredited))

I really enjoyed the first two and half seasons of Sliders, but then I lost interest when more and more characters where changed and they introduced the Kromagg.
The pilot is a great introduction to the series.

Rating:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 05, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
I always enjoyed "Slider" .. especially the first two seasons with Sabrina Lloyd playing Wade.  And with John Rhys-Davies leaving the show it seemed to start to go down hill fast.  I like Kari Wührer and I think she did a pretty good job .. but the stories seemed to start getting funky.  And I can always do without Charlie O'Connell.  Not much ability there <G>

Get pick
Dsig
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
     Smallville: Pilot (2001/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:David Nutter, Philip Sgriccia, Michael W. Watkins
Writing:Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Alfred Gough (Writer), Miles Millar (Writer)
Length:91 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Bahasa, Chinese, Commentary, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tom Welling as Clark Kent/ Kal-El
Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang
Michael Rosenbaum as Alexander Joseph 'Lex' Luthor
Eric Johnson as Whitney Fordman
Sam Jones III as Pete Ross

Plot:
Growing up is tough for any teenager. But it's even tougher when you have mysterious super powers you don't understand and must not reveal to others – powers that keep you from fitting in with the everday high school world of football, friends and dating.

Teenage anxieties and smalltown secrets give the Superman mythology an exciting new spin in Smallville. Tom Welling plays Clark Kent, the adolescent whose hoped-for romance with Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk) is frustrated by the kryptonite in her necklace. Michael Rosenbaum is Clark's self-proclaimed steadfast friend Lex Luthor. Inside the idyllic community of Smallville, the intertwined destinies of these three begin to take shape while an imminent danger emerges: a high-school prank has spawned a vengeful villain who has acquired super powers of his own.

Awards:
Won:
Saturn (2001)  Best Supporting Actor (Michael Rosenbaum)
Teen Choice Awards (2002)  TV - Choice Breakout Star, Male (Tom Welling)
Nominated:
Saturn (2001)  Best Actor (Tom Welling)
Saturn (2003)  Best Actor - Television Series (Tom Welling)
Saturn (2001)  Best Actress (Kristin Kreuk)
Saturn (2003)  Best Actress - Television Series (Kristin Kreuk)
Saturn (2001)  Best Network Television Series
Saturn (2002)  Best Network Television Series
Saturn (2003)  Best Network Television Series
Saturn (2003)  Best Supporting Actor - Television Series (John Glover)
Saturn (2003)  Best Supporting Actor - Television Series (Michael Rosenbaum)
Saturn (2002)  Best Television Actor (Tom Welling)
Saturn (2002)  Best Television Actress (Kristin Kreuk)
Saturn (2002)  Best Television Supporting Actor (John Glover)
Saturn (2002)  Best Television Supporting Actor (Michael Rosenbaum)
Saturn (2001)  Cinescape Genre Face of the Future - Female (Kristin Kreuk)
Saturn (2001)  Cinescape Genre Face of the Future - Male (Michael Rosenbaum)
Teen Choice Awards (2003)  Choice TV - Drama/Action Adventure
Teen Choice Awards (2003)  Choice TV Actor - Drama/Action Adventure (Tom Welling)
Teen Choice Awards (2003)  Choice TV Actress - Drama/Action Adventure (Kristin Kreuk)
Teen Choice Awards (2003)  Choice TV Sidekick (Allison Mack, Michael Rosenbaum)
Teen Choice Awards (2002)  TV - Choice Actor, Drama (Tom Welling)
Teen Choice Awards (2002)  TV - Choice Drama/Action Adventure
Teen Choice Awards (2002)  TV - Choice Sidekick (Allison Mack, Michael Rosenbaum)

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Interactive Map of Smallville Storyboard to Screen
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
This pilot movie presentation is cut together from the first two Smallville episodes. Especially the first half is a good introduction. Sadly the second half is a typical freak of the week story, for which the first season was known for.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2012, 07:19:54 PM »
     South of Nowhere: Season One (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:237 min.
Audio:English:
Subtitles:

Plot:
SOUTH OF NOWHERE follows the Carlin family as they relocate to Los Angeles and quickly discover the're "not in Kansas anymore," even though the're really from Ohio. In L.A., life is much more complicated – for everyone. The family is challenged to look at life, and each other, with new eyes. Daughter Spencer, a pretty, athletic 16-year-old, begins to question everything: her friends, her boundaries, and – her sexuality. Her 17-year-old adopted brother Clay is African American, smart, and sarcastic. He is looking forward to the opportunity to connect with his culture but finds that being black in L.A. comes with its own set of expectations. Spencer and Clay's brother Glen, also 17, is outgoing, a star on the basketball court, popular with the girls – the guy everyone wants to be and be around. He seems to have the world in his pocket...but is L.A. challenging his notions of who he is, too? The Carlins may have moved cross-country, but ultimately they find that the real journey – finding out who you are and who you want to be – has left them feeling "south of nowhere."

South of Nowhere
1.01 Secret Truths
Writer: Thomas W. Lynch (Created By), Thomas W. Lynch (Writer)
Director: Donna Deitch
Cast: Gabrielle Christian (Spencer Carlin), Mandy Musgrave (Ashley Davies), Matt Cohen (Aiden Dennison), Danso Gordon (Clay Carlin), Chris Hunter (Glen Carlin), Rob Moran (Arthur Carlin), Maeve Quinlan (Paula Carlin), Austen Parros (Sean Miller), Valery Ortiz (Madison Duarte), Marisa Lauren (Sherry), Aasha Davis (Chelsea), Quentin Prescott Price (Boz), Darryl Reed, Jr (Zak), Marcus Brown (Dallas), John Eric Bentley (Coach), Dinah Lenney (Teacher), Ed Cannan (Counsellor), Dustin Meier (Cop #1)

A nice series about a teenage girl coming to terms with her homosexuality. The pilot is a good introduction and I enjoyed it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »
     South Park: Season One (1997/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Length:305 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Now all thirteen classic episodes are available for the first time in this exclusive 3-disc collector's edition. Join Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny as these four animated tykes take on the supernatural, the extraordinary and the insane. For them, it's all part of growing up in South Park.

South Park
1.01 Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Writer: Trey Parker (Created By), Matt Stone (Created By), Trey Parker (Writer), Matt Stone (Writer)
Director:
Cast: Shannen Cassedy ( (voice)), Franchesca Cliffard ( (voice)), Trey Parker ( (voice)), Matt Stone ( (voice)), Isaac Hayes (Chef (voice))

I still remember the very first time I saw this episode. It was the first time it aired on German television. It aired on a Sunday evening after 11pm. I wanted to check it out, but did not expect to like it all that much. But I was then hooked from the very first episode.
I even remember that I was disappointed to see Kenny die because I really liked his character. Little did I know that it was going to be a running joke to have Kenny back for each episode just to have him killed again :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2012, 08:58:16 PM »
The following is a repost from our Spaced marathon five years ago:

Spaced: Series One (2000/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Video Collection International (United Kingdom)
Length:170 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Subtitles:English

Plot:
The award winning, critically acclaimed situation comedy, written by and starring Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson and directed by Edgar Wright.

'Spaced' is the story of two very different people, enthusiastic but directionless Daisy Steiner and grumpy, broken hearted skateboarder, Tim Bisley - two twenty-somethings who pretend to be a professional couple to secure the tenancy of a North London flat. As the pair grow closer, the potent mix of their friends, interests and ambitions leads them into a world more bizarre than childhood and a lifetime away from being grown up. Keep telling yourself...'It's only a sitcom.'

Spaced
1.01 Beginnings
Writer: Jessica Stevenson (Writer), Simon Pegg (Writer)
Director: Edgar Wright
Cast: Jessica Stevenson (Daisy), Simon Pegg (Tim), Bill Bailey (Bilbo), Katy Carmichael (Twist), Julia Deakin (Marsha), Nick Frost (Mike), Mark Heap (Brian), James Lance (Richard), Peter Serafinowicz (Duane), Anna Wilson-Jones (Sarah)

This is the first time I'll watch this series since Shaun of the Dead was released. I saw it two years before that and it was the reason, I went to see Shaun of the Dead in the theater.
Even after the great Shaun of the Dead this series still holds up. It's even funnier than I remember it. Also great camera/editing work. And also great visual gags (like the Velma and Shaggy scene :laugh:).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 08, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
     Spider-Man: The New Animated Series (2003/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:278 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Trivia

Plot:
The coolest Spider-Man comes to DVD in 3-D animation! Combining state-of-the-art CG imaging with feature animation processing, Spider-Man brings a neon-lit city to life.

Based on the legendary Mavel comic book, the series centers on the adventures of Peter Parker, who develops superhuman powers after being bit by a genetically altered spider. Multi-talented Neil Patrick Harris (Undercover Brother, Starship Troopers), singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb and television star Ian Ziering (TV's "Beverly Hills 90210") bring Peter, MJ, and Harry to life, along with guest voice talent from rocker Rob Zombie, rap star Eve, Gina Gershon, Kathy Griffin, Michael Clarke Duncan, Stan Lee and more.

Major comic book, animation, and television talent came together to bring Spider-Man to life on the small screen. Brian Michael Bendis (Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series) worked as Co-Executive producer, along with Audu Paden (Roughnecks: Starship Toopers Chronicles). Serving as the series' Executive Producers were Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee, Margan Gendel, and Marvel executives Avi Arad and Rick Ungar.

Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
1.01 Heroes and Villains (2003-08-22)
Writer: )
Director:
Cast: Starring), Neil Patrick Harris (Peter Parker/Spider-Man (voice)), Lisa Loeb (Mary Jane Watson (voice)), Ian Ziering (Harry Osborn (voice)), Also Starring), Ethan Embry (Max Dillon/Electro (voice)), Jeff Fischer (Doug Reisman (voice)), Jennifer Hale (Female News Announcer (voice)), Julie Nathanson (Sally Johnson (voice)), David Newsom (Gary (voice)), Rino Romano (Doug's friend (voice)), Cree Summers (Professor Williams (voice))

I bought this series years ago, but never got past the first few episodes. I just didn't like the animation style. Besides that, the first episode had potential. I may give this series another chance.
It seems to loosely follow the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie.

Rating: