Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 167189 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
This covers now my "G"s.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
     Haibane - Renmei: Ailes Grises (2002/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Germany)
Length:330 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:German

Haibane Renmei
1.01 Mayu - Sora wo ochiru yume - Ourudo Houmu (2002-02-09)

A wonderful story about angel-like creatures with beautiful animation work. A girl finds herself, after having some strange dream, coming out of a cocoon with small wings on her back. She has lost all memories of her previous life and now must find out what it means to be a "Haibane" (this is how these creatures are called).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
     Happy Days: Season One (1974/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:409 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:

Plot:
Poodle skirts... jukeboxes... cars with soaring tail fins... and rockin' and rollin' all week long.
Those Happy Days are here again, on this three-disc, must-have DVD set! Join one of America's best-loved TV families - the Cunninghams - in the premiere season of this top-rated television series. Richie Cunningham (Ron Howard), "Potsie" Weber (Anson Williams), Ralph Malph (Donny Most) and "The Fonz" (Henry Winkler) head a brilliant comedic cast in this nostalgic, smash-hit TV sitcom. Arnold's Drive-In is their local hangout and meeting place, and lots of hilarious, memorable and classic adventures are the result. Take a trip back to a simpler time and relive all the fun, music and laughs of those good ol' Happy Days - with this complete first season DVD collection.

Happy Days
1.01 All the Way
Writer: Garry Marshall (Original Characters By), Rob Reiner (Writer), Philip Mishkin (Writer), Garry Marshall (Writer)
Director: Mel Ferber
Cast: Ron Howard (Richie Cunningham), Marion Ross (Marion Cunningham), Anson Williams (Potsie Weber), Tom Bosley (Howard Cunningham), Henry Winkler (Fonzie), Donny Most (Ralph), Gavan O'Herlihy (Chuck), Erin Moran (Joanie), Kathy O'Dare (Mary Lou), Danny Jacobson (Pat), Richard D. Hurst (Cook)

I caught a few episodes on TV in the early nighties or so. I picked up the first season when it came out but I never got past the first disc watching it. It isn't bad, but it didn't really keep me interested.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
Skipping "Happy Lesson".

I am not in the mood for it. This is actually two different series. First a short OVA series came out. And then a TV series followed.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
     He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season One: Volume One (1983/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:710 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Excitement and adventure await those who enter the mystical land of Eternia! Join He-Man and the Masters of the Universe as they battle against Skeletor and his crew of dastardly villains in the greatest adventure ever told!

These first 33 episodes are only the beginning of the most phenomenal stories ever created in animation! Relive the excitement as you enjoy the adventure of the universe's greatest warriors. The power has returned!

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
1.01 Diamond Ray of Disappearance
Writer: Robby London (Writer)
Director: Lou Zukor
Cast: John Erwin (Prince Adam / He-Man (voice)), John Erwin (Beast Man / Ram Man (voice)), Alan Oppenheimer (Cringer / Battle Cat / Mer-Man (voice)), Alan Oppenheimer (Skeletor (voice)), Linda Gary (The Sorceress (voice)), Linda Gary (Evil-Lyn / Teela / Queen Marlena (voice)), Erik Gunden (King Randor / Orko / Trap Jaw (voice)), Erik Gunden (Tri-Klops / Stratos (voice))

It has been now about 25 years since I became a fan of He-Man. I still enjoy this series and the characters even after all this time. For me this is not a series better left as a nostalgic memory. It still holds up.
And I just love the theme music. I never get tired of it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
     He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume One (2002/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:286 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Now for the first time on DVD, it's the Emmy Award Winning 2002 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series! You have the power to re-live these first 13 episodes in this volume one of a three-volume series. Start with the three-part movie that shows how Prince Adam became He-Man as he leads Man-At-Arms, Teela, Ram Man, Buzz-Off, Mekanek and the other Masters of the Universe as they battle Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, Evil-Lyn, Mer-Man and the other classic villains for control of Eternia.

This fresh take on the retro favorite delighted and entertained a new generation of fans as well as those who grew up watching the beloved series in the '80s.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
1.01 The Beginning (2002-08-16)
Writer: Dean Stefan (Writer)
Director: Gary Hartle
Cast: Cam Clarke (Prince Adam (voice)), Kathleen Barr (Evil-Lyn (voice)), Lisa Ann Beley (Teela (voice)), Garry Chalk (Man-At-Arms, Whiplash (voice)), Brian Dobson (Keldor/Skeletor (voice)), Paul Dobson (Trap-Jaw, Tri-Klops, Man-E-Faces (voice)), Michael Donovan (King Randor (voice)), Gabe Khouth (Orko, Mekaneck (voice)), Scott McNeil (Stratos, Merman, Ram-Man, Clawful, Beastman (voice)), Nicole Oliver (Queen Marlena, Sorceress (voice))

After watching the 80s motion picture, I wanted to rewatch a decent He-Man movie. These are the first three episodes of the series, which originally aired as one pilot movie.
This movie tells the origin story of He-Man, something we never got in the original Filmation series. It is a great introduction to all the characters. And you already see, that the makers know their stuff.
One thing is needing to get used to when you know the original series: Seems that gravity on Eternia is different, as everybody seems to be able to jump real high.

This lead to a fun video clip I found once, where they put He-Man footage to the Gummibears theme song.

Rating:

P.S.: This review is a repost.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »
     Heroes: Season One (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:1009 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Discover the phenomenon that is sweeping audiences everywhere as Heroes: Season 1 comes to DVD! Experience the suspense, mystery, and electrifying twists as this astonishing series follows seemingly unconnected, ordinary people around the globe who discover they have extraordinary powers. As they come to terms with their unique abilities, their risky decisions will affect the futures of everyone around them ... and the world. Join their epic journey in this seven-disc set packed with hours of fascinating and revealing bonus features, including the never-before-aired series premier from show creator Tim Kring.

Heroes
1.01 Genesis (2006-09-25)
Writer: Tim Kring (Created By), Tim Kring (Writer)
Director: David Semel
Cast: Santiago Cabrera (Isaac Mendez), Tawny Cypress (Simone Deveaux), Noah Gray-Cabey (Micah Sanders), Ali Larter (Niki Sanders), Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura), Hayden Panettiere (Claire Bennet), Adrian Pasdar (Nathan Petrelli), Sendhil Ramamurthy (Mohinder Suresh), Milo Ventimiglia (Peter Petrelli), Cristine Rose (Angela Petrelli), Jack Coleman (Mr. Bennet), Ashley Crow (Sandra Bennet), Thomas Dekker (Zach), Shishir Kurup (Nirand), James Kyson Lee (Ando Masahashi), John Prosky (Principal), Deirdre Quinn (Tina), Brian Tarantina (Weasel), Richard Roundtree (Charles Deveaux), Randall Bentley (Lyle Bennett), Max Amini (Cabbie), Claudia DiFolco (Reporter), Milos Milicevic (Big Guy), David Ury (Super), Greg Wrangler (Fire Chief), Tohoru Masamune (Boss at Yamagato)

I enjoyed the whole Heroes series. I still think it is surprising that the first season as so highly regarded. I really liked it, but still I was surprised that it was taken to such a high regard. I also liked the later seasons even though they generally aren't as well liked.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2011, 12:18:31 AM »
I think the Heroes bubble burst very quickly here in the UK. The first few episodes caught everyone's imagination, but then the cracks formed.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »
     Highlander: The Series: Season One (1992/Canada)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:1070 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
"I am Duncan MacLeod, born 400 years ago in the Highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal, and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the stroke of a sword and the fall of a head will release the power of the Quickening. In the end, there can be only one."

Highlander
1.01 The Gathering
Writer: Dan Gordon (Writer)
Director: Thomas J. Wright
Cast: Adrian Paul (Duncan MacLeod), Alexandra Vandernoot (Tessa), Stan Kirsch (Richie), Christopher Lambert (Connor MacLeod), Richard Moll (Slan Quince), Amy Pietz (Reporter), Wendell Wright (Sgt. Powell)

Even though this series is far from perfect, I enjoyed watching it. I like it much more than the movies (even the good one). I think Adrian Paul is the better Highlander. It helps, that he is trained in sword-fighting.
The pilot did a good job introducing the characters and the premise. And it is nice to see Christopher Lambert as Connor MacLeod passing the torch.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
     Cape: The Complete Series (2011/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Length:430 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English

Plot:
He's righteous. He's heroic. He's The Cape.

Vince Faraday (David Lyons, E.R.) is an honest cop on a corrupt police force. When he's framed for murder and presumed dead, he finds that he must go into hiding - leaving behind his wife, Dana (Jennifer Ferrin, Life on Mars), and son, Trip (Ryan Wynott, Flash Forward). Determined to battle the criminals who now control his hometown, Vince takes the law into his own hands and becomes The Cape-his son's favorite comic book superhero. Featuring an incredible supporting cast, including James Frain (The Tudors), Keith David (Death at a Funeral), Summer Glau (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Dorian Missick (The Manchurian Candidate), Martin Klebba (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Vinnie Jones (Snatch), it's the action-packed series that has critics raving, "'The Cape' is cloaked in awesome." (OK! Magazine)

The Cape
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Tom Wheeler (Created By), Tom Wheeler (Writer)
Director: Simon West
Cast: David Lyons (Vince Faraday/The Cape), Keith David (Max Malini), Summer Glau (Jamie Fleming/Orwell), James Frain (Peter Fleming/Chess), Jennifer Ferrin (Dana Thompson-Faraday), Ryan Wynott (Trip Faraday), Dorian Missick (Marty Voyt), Vinnie Jones (Dominic Raoul/Scales), Martin Klebba (Rollo), Izabella Miko (Raia), Anil Kumar (Ruvi), Eros Biox), Eric Pierpont), Jo Nell Kennedy), Bryan Friday (Brooks), Dennis Keiffer (Jenner), Fernando Chien (ARK Trooper), Judi Barton (Party Guest), Wendy Burch (News Anchor #1), Eddie Diaz (Officer #1), J. Teddy Garces (Scales Thug #1), Nathan Axtell (Scales Thug #2), Peter Murnik (Officer #2)

Two reasons I bought this: It is a superhero series. And Summer Glau is in the main cast.
I took a chance on this series even if it was cancelled after only ten episodes. The first episode was nice to watch, although a little corny at times. I hope Summer Glau's part will be bigger in the other episodes than here. And I hope her purpose isn't constraint to be being the Oracle (from "Birds of Prey") kind of person stuck in front of a computer screen. She has shown here in one scene that she can kick a little ass. Hopefully this is used more.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »
     Episodes: Series One (2011/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

2 entertain Video (United Kingdom)
Length:196 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
Matt LeBlanc plays a deliciously outrageous version of himself in this laugh-out-loud comedy from creators David Crane (Friends) and Jeffrey Klarik (Mad About You). Episodes offers a peek behind the curtain at the insanity of Hollywood. You'll never watch TV the same way again.

Sean (Stephen Mangan) and Beverly (Tamsin Greig) are a happily married English couple, who are also the successful creators of a hit British TV show. Their life seems complete. That is until a hugely powerful and charismatic US network president persuades them to move to LA to remake their show for American television. He's full of praise and promises "not to change a thing".

However, things begin to unravel as soon as Sean and Beverly arrive in LA. They discover that the network president has never even seen their show. To make matters worse, he insists that they replace their brilliant lead actor (Richard Griffiths), an erudite Royal Shakespeare veteran with... Matt LeBlanc! Sean and Beverly are appalled.

But the decision is out of their hands. Matt comes on board, and soon Sean and Beverly find themselves in a complicated triangle which threatens to destroy not just their TV show but also their marriage.

Episodes
1.01 Episode One
Writer: David Crane (Created By), Jeffrey Klarik (Created By), David Crane (Writer), Jeffrey Klarik (Writer)
Director: James Griffiths
Cast: Matt LeBlanc (Matt LeBlanc), Stephen Mangan (Sean Lincoln), Tamsin Greig (Beverly Lincoln), John Pankow (Merc Lapidus), Kathleen Rose Perkins (Carol Rance), Richard Griffiths (Julian Bullard), Alejandro Postigo (Ernesto), Ben Miller (Ben Miller), Lou Hirsch (Wallace), Daisy Haggard (Myra Licht), Joseph May (Andy Button), Bruce Lester Johnson (Roger)

A promising start to a series, which looks like fun. I am curious how the next episodes will be, where Matt LeBlanc has a bigger role.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2011, 03:26:30 AM »
A promising start to a series, which looks like fun. I am curious how the next episodes will be, where Matt LeBlanc has a bigger role.
He is a lot of fun to watch, especially when he is making fun of himself.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »
     Being Erica: Season One (2009/Canada)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Channel 4 DVD (United Kingdom)
Length:551 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
Ever feel like you've made the wrong decision? Wished you could turn back time and change the past? Weel you probably know just how Erica feels.

Erica Strange (Erin Karpluk) is 32 years old, perpetually single and overqualified for a job that's going nowhere. While her friends are getting married and buying their first homes, Erica is left wondering where she went wrong.

Just as she's on the verge of despair Erica meets the mysterious therapist Dr. Tom. He offers her a solution – the opportunity of a lifetime – to go back to her past and face her greatest regrets.

Being Erica
1.01 Dr. Tom
Writer: Jana Sinyor (Created By), Jana Sinyor (Writer), Jana Sinyor (Original Material By), David Fortier (Original Material By), Ivan Schneeberg (Original Material By)
Director: Holly Dale
Cast: Erin Karpluk (Erica Strange), Mark Hildreth (Mr. Leeds), Vinessa Antoine (Judith Winters), Paula Brancati (Jenny Zalen), John Boylan (Gary Strange), Kathleen Laskey (Barbara Strange), Joanna Douglas (Samantha Strange), Adam MacDonald (Josh McIntosh), Devon Bostick (Leo Strange), Sarah Gadon (Katie Atkins), Michael Riley (Dr. Tom), Chris Gallinger (Noah), Jayme Krane (Young Samantha), John McGill (Young Josh), Janelle Hutchison (Aunt Roberta), Philip Williams (Uncle Joe), James A. Woods (Trevor Markowitz), Martin Doyle (Boss Albert), Anna Kostan (Dr. Tom's Receptionist), Andrew Prashad (Barista), Ellora Patnaik (Nurse), Roz Bell (Street Musician), Craig Stickland (Make Out Boy #1), Jordan Gatto (Make Out Boy #2), Daniel Victor (Band Singer)

Given the opportunity to relive past regrets gives her the chance to act differently. Through these "time-travels" she doesn't change the past but will be learning some life leasons.
Going by the first episode it seems like a series I could really enjoy. In this episode Erica gets the chance to prevent an incident at a high school dance which had resulted her being ridiculed for a while. But ends up making it even worse, but she learns the lesson not to care too much about what others think of her.
I just read that there is a UK and a US remake planned of this Canadian series.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »
     The Office: Season One (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Length:135 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Plot:
Steve Carell (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Daily Show) stars in The Office, a fresh and funny mockumentary-style glimpse into the daily interactions of the eccentric workers at the Dunder Mifflin paper supply company. Based on the smash-hit British series of the same name and adapted for American Television by Greg Daniels (King of the Hill, The Simpsons), this fast-paced comedy parodies contemporary American water-cooler culture. Earnest but clueless regional manager Michael Scott (Carell) believes himself to be an exceptional boss and mentor, but actually receives more eye-rolls than respect from his oddball staff. Entertainment Weekly calls The Office "smart and trenchant", and all six hilarious season one episodes are available here on DVD for the first time. The awkward silences in The Office will have you laughing out loud!

The Office
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Ricky Gervais (Screenwriter), Stephen Merchant (Screenwriter), Greg Daniels (Screenwriter), Ricky Gervais (Original Material By), Stephen Merchant (Original Material By)
Director: Ken Kwapis
Cast: Steve Carell (Michael Scott), Rainn Wilson (Dwight Schrute), John Krasinski (Jim Halpert), Jenna Fischer (Pam Beesly), B. J. Novak (Ryan Howard), Melora Hardin (Jan), David Denman (Roy), Leslie David Baker (Stanley), Brian Baumgartner (Kevin), Angela Kinsey (Angela), Henriette Mantel), Mike McCaul), Oscar Nunez (Oscar), Phyllis Smith (Phyllis)

I know me reviewing this now for this thread is a little too early. But recently watching the seventh season put me in the mood to watch some early episodes, even though it only has been a year since I watched the first six seasons in a marathon.
Even though the first episode is a copy of the first episode of the original The Office, I still enjoyed it. Already much of the characters are present, which get bigger roles later on. Michael Scott will change though with later episode. Even going so far, that he goes from despicable to pitiful to a guy showing competence and even ending up as a pretty much nice guy where you can believe he can be considered a good boss from time to time.
What I like about this series is, that the background characters are constant. The people filling this Office are pretty much always there, making it feel to be a real Office. And it are these characters, which get more screentime and their own storylines later on.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
But recently watching the seventh season put me in the mood to watch some early episodes, even though it only has been a year since I watched the first six seasons in a marathon.

"Some early episodes" became the first six seasons, which I watched over the last three weeks. Combined with the five days I spent watching the seventh season before that, makes it seven seasons of "The Office" watched in one month (and again it has been a great joy). Originally I had planned to finish this marathon off with watching the seventh season again, but I decided to take a break and watch "No Ordinary Family" (now that it has arrived).