Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 167193 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »
TV Pilots marathon

I had mentionend in the past that this type of marathon is usually not my kind of thing. I don't like to start watching one episode of a series and not watch the rest. This is why it has taken me so long to do something like this.
I will try to watch the first episode of all my TV shows, but I reserve the right to skip over some. I want to prevent running into a dead-end with this marathon simply because a series comes up, I hardly ever am in the mood for. But I will mention the skipped shows.
I hope I do not run out of steam early on.
Though I will not concentrate on this single marathon. I will continue watching other stuff as well.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
    30 Rock: Season One (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:463 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Plot:
Emmy® Award winner Tina Fey writes, executive produces, and stars as Liz Lemon, the head writer of a live variety program in New York City. Liz's life is turned upside down when brash new network executive Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin in his Golden Globe® winning role) interferes with her show, bringing the wildly unpredictable Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) into the cast. Now it's up to Liz to manage the mayhem and still try to have a life. Join in the behind-the-scenes hilarity with the complete first season (21 episodes) on DVD.

30 Rock
1.01 Pilot (2006-10-11)
Writer: Tina Fey (Created By), Tina Fey (Writer)
Director: Adam Bernstein
Cast: Tina Fey (Liz), Tracy Morgan (Tracy), Jane Krakowski (Jenna), Jack McBrayer (Kenneth), Scott Adsit (Pete), Judah Friedlander (Frank), Alec Baldwin (Jack), Rachel Dratch (Greta Johansen), Keith Powell (Toofer), Lonny Ross (Josh), Maulik Pancholy (Jonathan), Katrina Bowden (Cerie), Tom Broecker (Lee), Teddy Coluca (Stage Manager), Gary Cowling (Tourist), Kevin Dorff (Guy Buying Hot Dogs), Anita Durst (Businesswoman), Emana Rochelle (Stripper), Tabbie Conrad (Chicken and Waffles Employee), Ciaran Tyrell (Waiter), Alison White (Tourist)

Looking back, this pilot is rather different than the series. But you can already see the potential of the break-out character of Kenneth. Tina Fey's character is already very much like later on, but this is no wonder, as she mostly plays herself.

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:54:11 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
    3rd Rock from the Sun: Season One (1996/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Network (United Kingdom)
Length:433 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
An alien expedition is boldly going where no aliens have gone before: Earth! Taking on human identities, these visitors are in for culture shock of astronomical proportions as they encounter our planet's bizarre ways. Stranger still are their new physical forms, which constantly amaze them with surprises like puberty and passion, as when the High Commander (John Lithgow) becomes hopelessly infatuated with his Earthling co-worker (Jane Curtin). With sophisticated satire and wild farce, 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN offers a hilarious look at our world from an outrageously new point of view.

3rd Rock From the Sun
1.01 Brains and Eggs
Writer: Bonnie Turner (Writer), Terry Turner (Writer)
Director: James Burrows
Cast: John Lithgow (Dick Solomon), Kristen Johnston (Sally Solomon), French Stewart (Harry Solomon), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tommy Solomon), Jane Curtin (Mary Albright), Elmarie Wendel (Mrs. Dubcek), Simbi Khali (Nina), Ian Lithgow (Leon), David DeLuise (Bug), Chris Hogan (Pitman), Danielle Nicolet (Caryn), Jennifer Rhodes (Mrs. Sumner), Marne Patterson (Volleyball Girl), Susan Leslie (Kissing Woman), Dan Gilvezan (Radio DJ)

This continously funny series had already a great start. The characters were already strong and didn't change much later on (except of course for Tommy who did grow-up a little :laugh: ).

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:53:16 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »
     The 4400: Season One (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:217 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Plot:
Over the last century, thousands of people have gone missing. Suddenly and inexplicably, 4400 missing people are returned all at once, as they were on the day they vanished. Unclear what this world-altering event means, the government investigates the 4400 to piece together where they've been and why they've been returned. It quickly becomes apparent that their presence will change the human race in ways no one could have ever foreseen.

The 4400
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Scott Peters (Writer), René Echevarria (Writer)
Director: Yves Simoneau
Cast: Joel Gretsch (Tom Baldwin), Jacqueline McKenzie (Diana Skouris), Mahershalalhashbaz Ali (Richard Tyler), Laura Allen (Lily Moore Tyler), Patrick Flueger (Shawn Farrell), Chad Faust (Kyle Baldwin), Kaj-Erik Eriksen (Danny Farrell), Brooke Nevin (Nikki Hudson), Peter Coyote (Dennis Ryland), Michael Moriarty (Orson Bailey), Conchita Campbell (Maia Rutledge), Lori Triolo (Linda Baldwin), Chilton Crane (Susan Farrell), Andrew Airlie (Brian Moore), Garwin Sanford (Adam Kensington), Jason Low (Sid Stradner), Terry Chen (Colin Chen), Jesse Hutch (Brad Rossi), Ross Douglas (Gregory Kensington), Sheila Paterson (Elizabeth Bailey), Eric Breker (Kenneth Griffin), Eileen Pedde (Patty Griffin), Genevieve Buechner (Heidi Moore), Adrian Holmes (Lt. Payton), Roger Haskett (Maia's Father), Carrie Ann Fleming (Mary Rutledge), Keith Martin Gordey (Alan Kushner), Pamela Hart (ACLU Lawyer), Patti Allan (Barbara Yates), Link Baker (Air Force Officer), Karin Konoval (Dr. Emily Sanford), John Destry (Homeless Man), Cameron Cronin (Process Server), Jan Bos (Quarantine Official), Jocelyne Loewen (Secretary), Daryl Shuttleworth (Announcer One), Nicolas von Zill (Middle-Aged Man), Gabriel Patrich (Older Man), Julius Chapple (Young Man), Christina Jastrzembska (Older Woman), Layla Alizada (Young Woman), Calvin Lee (Newscaster - China), Nimet Kanji (Newscaster - Africa), Parm Soor (Newscaster - India), Manami Hara (Newscaster - Japan), Nicola Crosbie (Announcer Two), Chris Kalhoon (Reporter)

The first season actually started out as a five episode mini-series. It wasn't originally planned to continue. This is very noticable after the first season. They had to find some new storylines to be able to do a TV series.
I enjoyed the complete series, but the first season is the best for that reason. This pilot episode is a great introduction and am already tempted to continue. If you do not know it, you should at least check out the first season.

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:52:16 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
Next up would be "5ive Days to Midnight", but I decided against including straight-up mini-series, where it doesn't make sense to stop watching after the first episode. I will mention those though when I skip them and I will give a short thought on them.

It has been over six years since I have watched "5ive Days to Midnight" and I don't remember much from it. Only that I enjoyed it to a degree.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
     Action: The Complete Series (1999/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:293 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Way too edgy for network TV, this funny, uncensored, naming-names series peels off the glitter of Hollywood moviemaking and exposes the duplicitous but totally addictive, behind-the-scenes truth. Campy, uncesored and very controversial, this "too-close-to reality" show features guest stars that include Keanu Reeves, Salma Hayek, Scott Wolf and Sandra Bullock.

Superstar producer Peter Dragon (Jay Mohr, host of TV's "Last Comic Standing") builds his stellar career on the three pillars of show business - prostitution, nepostism and dishonesty. Adding to that an ego as big as a Beverly Hills mansion, the aptly named Dragon and his cohorts manage to be politically incorrect, backstabbing, phony, petty, pissy and most of all -- ingeniously funny!

Action
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Chris Thompson (Writer)
Director: Ted Demme
Cast: Jay Mohr (Peter Dragon), Illeana Douglas (Wendy Ward), Jarrad Paul (Adam Rafkin), Jack Plotnick (Stuart Glazer), Buddy Hackett (Uncle Lonnie), Keanu Reeves (Himself), Lee Arenberg (Bobby G.), Cindy Ambuehl (Jane Gianopolis), Michelle Hurd (Gina), Gavin Polone (Dodi), Richard Burgi (Cole Riccardi), Sara Paxton (Georgia Dragon), Hector Contreras (Manny Sanchez), Johnny Grant (Himself)

Not a bad series and not a bad first episode, but I never quite grew to like it. Maybe it's because Jay Mohr plays a prick so well, that it's hard to get invested in the character :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
     The Addams Family: Volume One (1964/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:564 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Plot:
They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, and now for the first time, they're on DVD! The Addams Family, America's first family of ghastly giddiness, are here in all of their ghoulish glory in the original TV series based on the delightfully demented imagination of Charles Addams. Tarantulas, torture racks, and tombstones have never been so much fun! Join Gomez, Morticia, Uncle Fester, Lurch, Cousin Itt, and the rest of the gang for a fiendishly funny and altogether ooky experience. It's time to pay a call on...The Addams Family!

The Addams Family
1.01 The Addams Family Goes to School
Writer: Seaman Jacobs (Writer), Ed James (Writer), Charles Addams (Original Characters By)
Director: Arthur Hiller
Cast: Carolyn Jones (Morticia), John Astin (Gomez), Allyn Joslyn (Mr. Hilliard), Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester), Ted Cassidy (Lurch), Blossom Rock (Grandmama), Lisa Loring (Wednesday), Ken Weatherwax (Pugsley), Madge Blake (Miss Comstock), Nydia Westman (Miss Morrison), Rolfe Sedan (Postman), Itself (The Thing)

I always enjoyed this series when I caught it on TV. But it is not a series I can watch many episodes after another. This is why I still have my volumes 2 and 3 unwatched.
The canned laughter was especially annoying here. I am already quite used to series without laugh track.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
     The Adventures of Mini-Goddess: Volume 1: The Gan-chan Files (1998/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Pioneer Entertainment (USA) (United States)
Length:89 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Super Small = Super Cute!

Whenever Keiichi leaves the house, Belldandy, Urd and Skuld shrink themselves to play with the other residents of the area - including their clueless rat sidekick, Gan. Whether it's a battle against Gan-zilla or adventures in kitchen appliance romances, the goddess adventures are dangerously funny!

Gan-chan: Although frequently the butt of the goddesses jokes and the victim of their mistakes, Gan the rat persists in his absolute devotion to Belldandy and never questions whether Urd and Skuld may be dangerous for his health

Aa! Megami-sama: Chicchaitte Kotoha Benridane
1.01 Uranai shiyou yo! (1998-04-06)
Writer: Kosuke Fujishima (Original Material By), Shouji Yonemura (Screenwriter), Chinatu Houjou (Screenwriter), Atsuhiro Tomioka (Screenwriter), Shinzo Fujita (Screenwriter)
Director: Yasuhiro Matsumura
Cast: Japanese Voice Cast), Akemi Okamura (Belldandy (voice)), Yumi Toma (Urd (voice)), Aya Hisakawa (Skuld (voice)), Mitsuo Iwata (Gan-chan (voice)), Tadashi Nakamura (Narrator (voice, uncredited)), Mako Hyoudou (Ms. Kettle (voice, uncredited)), English Voice Cast), Wendee Lee (Urd (voice)), Sherry Lynn (Skuld (voice, uncredited)), Ruby Marlowe (Belldandy (voice)), Anthony Mozdy (Gan-chan (voice)), William Frederick (Narrator (voice))

This is a spin-off/part of the "Ah My Goddess" franchise. I was already a fan of the OAV series and I think I already saw the new series, when I still had no desire to check this series out, thinking it would be childish. Luckily the first episode was a bonus feature on the Ah My Goddess movie DVD and I fell in love with this little series then. I soon bought the rest of the series. I think it's really hilarious.
Here is my review of the series in a whole.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
     Adventures of Superman: Season One (1952/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Length:662 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
The first superhero created for comic books, SUPERMAN leaped from radio to television when Adventures of Superman debuted in 1952. Produced by Robert J. Maxwell (who also produced the radio version) and Bernard Luber (a veteran of Hollywood serials), each First Season Episode screens like a classic crime movie, where danger and death lurk in the shadows. Working with some of the industry's best character actors, George Reeves plays the MAN OF STEEL with a genuineness that captivates viewers of all ages. Now, enjoy this legendary series as never before, digitally mastered from original film elements, in a soaring DELUXE 5-DISC SET WITH EXCITING EXTRAS.
- Allan Asherman, DC Comics Historian

The Adventures of Superman
1.01 Superman on Earth
Writer: Richard Fielding (Screenwriter)
Director: Tommy Carr
Cast: George Reeves (Superman/Clark Kent), Phyllis Coates (Lois Lane), Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen), John Hamilton (Perry White), Ross Elliott), Herbert Rawlinson), Stuart Randall), Aline Towne), Frances Morris), Dani Nolan)

A good first episode considering the age of the series. Strange is the beginning. Jor-El is introduced by the council elder to be a highly regarded scientist who was given the task to look into the seismic activity, but then was ridiculed when he presented his findings, which could easily been verified. And this shortly after the introduction of Krypton having an highly advanced race.
I didn't remember that the origin story was rather elaborate on this. We see Jor-El and the council on Krypton. Him and his wife putting the baby in the rocket. The Kents finding the rocket. And even scenes with Clark at age 12 and 25.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
    Ah! My Goddess (2005/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Anime Works (United States)
Length:650 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85

Plot:
Kosuke Fujishima's unforgettable story of every hapless college boy's dream comes to life! Keiichi Morisato is an engineering student, top driver of his campus racing club, and not very lucky with the ladies. While calling for take-out food one evening, a wrong number puts him in contact with the "Goddess Hotline." One misplaced wish later, Keiichi find himself blessed with Belldandy, the perfect girlfriend and a goddess in every sense of the word. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any idea how to act in the human world, and her presence quickly gets Keiichi kicked out of the dorms. Fortunately for Keiichi, his troubles have just begin!

Aa! Megami-sama!
1.01 Kimi wa Megami-sama? (2005-01-06)
Writer: Kosuke Fujishima (Original Material By), Hiroaki Goda (Screenwriter)
Director: Hiroaki Goda
Cast: Japanese Voice Cast), Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy (voice)), Masami Kikuchi (Keiichi Morisato (voice)), Issei Futamata (Ohtaki (voice)), Kiyoyuki Yanada (Tamiya (voice)), Mamiko Noto (Sayoko Mishima (voice)), Kan Tanaka (Professor Kokuta (voice)), Koichi Sakaguchi (Clerk (voice)), Noriko Shitaya (Hijiri (voice)), Wataru Hatano (Male student (voice)), Takafumi Kawakami (Auto Club Member (voice)), Sayaka Narita (Tennis Club Member (voice)), Rie Kanda (Tennis Club Member (voice)), Hikaru Ikeda (TV Narrator (voice)), Yumi Tohma (Narrator (voice)), Aya Hisakawa (Narrator (voice)), English Voice Cast), Eileen Stevens (Belldandy (voice)), Drew Aaron (Keiichi Morisato (voice)), Scottie Ray (Ohtaki (voice)), Marc Thompson (Tamiya (voice)), Karen Nell (Sayoko Mishima (voice)), Dan Green (Professor Kokuta (voice)), Michele Omedlin (Hijiri (voice)), Kevin T. Collins (Auto Club Member (voice))

Compared to the older OVA series, this one takes it rather slow. Which isn't a bad thing, because they have more time to develop the characters. This episode spends all the time to introduce Keiichi. Belldandy's first appearance is in the last scene. The last scene is what the OVA series began with.
I have also reviewed this series here.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »
    Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy (2006/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

FUNimation Productions (United States)
Length:600 min.

Plot:
The song may say "Thank heaven for little girls" - but who is college student Keiichi Morisato supposed to thank when three honest to goodness living Goddesses move in and take over his life? And should he really be all that grateful?

After all, in most mythologies, close relationships between mortals and immortals usually lead to mortifying complications, so we're already talking about an extremely mixed blessing! And when a FOURTH Goddess suddenly appears, that blessing becomes more like a curse! They may just be trying to help, but sometimes it seems that Belldandy, Skuld, Urd and Peorth might be less concerned with Keiichi's safety than they are with establishing a pecking order and ownership rights!

The delicate celestial balance that exists between human and goddess is thrown into complete and utter chaos in Ah! My Goddess 2 - The Complete Collection!

Aa! Megami-sama!
2.01 Ah! I Wish... Once More!
Writer: Kosuke Fujishima (Original Material By), Hiroaki Goda (Screenwriter), Akira Watanabe (Screenwriter), Akifumi Tada (Screenwriter)
Director: Hiroaki Goda
Cast: English Vocal Cast), Eileen Stevens (Belldandy (voice)), Drew Aaron (Keiichi Morisato (voice)), Vibe Jones (Urd (voice)), Annice Moriarty (Skuld (voice)), Emily Blau (Megumi Morisato (voice)), Marc Thompson (Tamiya (voice)), Scottie Ray (Otaki (voice)), Marc Thompson (Almighty One (voice)), Evelyn Lantto (Lind (voice)), Herb Lawrence (Priest (voice)), Alissa Brodsky (Ex (voice)), Japanese Vocal Cast), Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy (voice)), Masami Kikuchi (Keiichi Morisato (voice)), Yumi Touma (Urd (voice)), Aya Hisakawa (Skuld (voice)), Issei Futamata (Otaki (voice)), Kiyoyuki Yanada (Tamiya (voice)), Yuriko Fuchizaki (Megumi Morisato (voice)), Mugihito (Priest (voice)), Hidetoshi Nakamura (Almighty One (voice)), Miki Itou (Lind (voice)), Yoko Honna (Ex (voice)), Wataru Hatano (Man (voice))

A little slow start into the otherwise great sequel series to Ah! My Goddess. As the characters are already established, this season has more fun with them. I especially love the sibling rivalry between Urd and Skuld.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
     Ai Yori Aoshi: Volume 1 "Faithfully Yours" (2001/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Pioneer Entertainment (United States)
Length:120 min.

Plot:
Kaoru Hanabishi just wanted to help. Aoi Sakuraba just wanted to find her first love. They never realized they were looking for each other. Ever since their arranged marriage 18 years ago, Aoi had been in love with Kaoru, but she traveled to Tokyo to meet him when she learned the marriage had been called off. While Kaoru’s impressed by Aoi’s loyalty, innocence and beauty, to accept her affection, he might have to return to the Hanabishi Clan and the emotional and physical pain he suffered during his childhood... Their self-control and their love will be put to the test when she moves in and he tries to stay a gentleman!

Ai Yori Aoshi
1.01 Enishi
Writer: Kou Fumizuki (Original Material By), Kenichi Kanemaki (Writer)
Director: Daisuke Takashima
Cast: Japanese Cast), Soichiro Hoshi (Kaoru Hanabishi (voice)), Ayako Kawasumi (Aoi Sakuraba (voice)), Narumi Hikada (Young Kaoru (voice)), Makoto Higo (Nishimoto (voice)), Kouichi Sakaguchi (Tanaka (voice)), English Voice Cast), Anthony Mozdy ( (voice)), Barbara Goodson ( (voice)), Dave Lelyveld ( (voice)), Lex Lang ( (voice)), Lia Sargent ( (voice)), Michelle Ruff ( (voice)), Ron Allen ( (voice)), Sue Beth Arden ( (voice)), Wendee Lee ( (voice))

The first few episodes are very romantic. It tells how the both main characters got together. After that the series introduces a whole bunch of lively characters, which make it a fun comedy.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
     Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi: Volume 1 "Fate" (2003/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:93 min.

Plot:
How long can they keep a secret!?

Two exciting years have passed since the reunion of Kaoru and Aoi. The newest member of the Sakuraba household is Taeko's cousin, Chika, who just started high school. Her frank questions and surprising sexiness have Kaoru in a bind. Later, a tennis outing for everyone leaves Kaoru impressed with Aoi's grace as well as her charming outfit. Finally, the gang hears mysterious noises in the mansion and suspect that it's haunted. Leave it to Taeko, the resident occult specialist, to solve the mystery!

Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi
1.01 Oshun
Writer: Kou Fumizuki (Original Material By)
Director: Daisuke Takashima
Cast: Original Japanese Cast), Soichiro Hoshi (Kaoru Hanabishi (voice)), Ayako Kawasumi (Aoi Sakuraba (voice)), Akiko Hiramatsu (Miyabi Kagurazaki (voice)), Satsuki Yukino (Tina Foster (voice)), Kaori Mizuhashi (Taeko Minazuki (voice)), Sayaka Narita (Mayu Miyuki (voice)), Haruko Momoi (Chika Minazuki (voice)), Yuka Inoguchi (Uzume (voice)), Kohei Shiozuka (Man (Couple) (voice)), English Voice Cast), Dave Lelyveld ( (voice)), Julie Ann Taylor ( (voice)), Kay Jensen ( (voice)), Kirsty Pape ( (voice)), Lia Sargent ( (voice)), Michelle Ruff ( (voice)), Midge Mayes ( (voice)), Ron Allen ( (voice)), Sue Beth Arden ( (voice)), Wendee Lee ( (voice))

The sequel series to Ai Yori Aoshi, which brings conclusion to the story (although different ending than the manga, because that one was still ongoing at that point).
Who liked the first series will also like this one.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »
     ALF: Season One (1986/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Lions Gate Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:552 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
ALF, the impetuous alien who plummeted from outer space into the Tanner family garage back in '86 is now crash-landing on DVD! Earth has just not been the same without this cosmic superstar and his wisecracking antics!

Catch ALF in all 25 out-of-this-world episodes from the complete first season of his award-winning primetime TV hit.

ALF
1.01 ALF Pilot
Writer: Tom Patchett (Writer)
Director: Tom Patchett
Cast: Max Wright (Willy Tanner), Anne Shedeen (Kate Tanner), Andrea Elson (Lynn Tanner), Benji Gregory (Brian Tanner), Paul Fusco (ALF (voice, uncredited)), Liz Sheridan (Raquel Ochmonek), John La Motta (Trevor Ochmonek), Frank MC Carthy)

I loved watching this show when growing up. It is still fun to watch from time to time. Too bad that the US releases (which I own) contain the cut syndicated versions of the episodes. At least in this pilot it was very noticable.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
     American Dad!: Volume One (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:284 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
From the delightfully twisted creative minds behind Family Guy comes American Dad!, the animated tour de force featuring CIA operative Stan Smith, his outrageous family, and Roger, the alcoholic extra-terrestrial who lives with them!

Follow the adventures of the Smiths from the California desert where Stan's wife Francine relieves her wild youth at the Burning Man Festival to Saudi Arabia, where the entire family is sentenced to death by the Vice and Virtue Police! Whether it's rigging elections, erasing memories, casing sleazy strip clubs, or staging "bum fights," it's all in a day's work for Stan, and it's all here in the side-splittingly hilarious first 13 episodes of American Dad!

American Dad!
1.01 Pilot (2005-02-06)
Writer: Seth MacFarlane (Writer), Mike Barker (Writer), Matt Weitzman (Writer)
Director: Ron Hughart
Cast: Seth MacFarlane (Stan/Roger (voice)), Wendy Schaal (Francine (voice)), Scott Grimes (Steve (voice)), Rachael MacFarlane (Hayley (voice)), Dee Bradley Baker (Klaus (voice)), Curtis Armstrong ( (voice)), Mike Barker ( (voice)), Chris Cox ( (voice)), Carmen Electra ( (voice)), Jeff Fischer ( (voice)), Mike Henry ( (voice)), Natasha Melnick ( (voice)), Kim Parks ( (voice)), Kevin Michael Richardson ( (voice)), Andre Sogliuzzo ( (voice)), Daisuke Suzuki ( (voice)), John Viener ( (voice))

Going in I thought this was too similar to Family Guy and wouldn't last long. But this series found its own voice later on. The pilot episode was boring though.

Rating: