Author Topic: The Movies From Within My Lifetime  (Read 98158 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies From Within My Lifetime
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Death Machine, of course. You've neve seen it and the title is awesome. (I have seen it and would actually want to see it again. I remember it being  lot of fun.)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
Really? Death Machine over Dolores Claiborn?
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
I'm so sure Achim think at something else :hmmmm:
But you will have to watch it for us to know.... I never watch it so maybe a good review from you would gave me the little push needed to do so... (I was thinking at something else with a tiltle like this one)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:59:56 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
I'm so sure Achim think at something else :hmmmm:
:headscratch:

You think I am thinking of Hardware...? Oh, wait, there is another film called Death Machine that you reviewed here once, right? That is indeed not the one I mean.

The Death Machine I am thinking of wa directed by Stephen Norrington, who later directed Blade, in 1994.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2011, 03:32:46 AM »
No it's the movie I was thinking of and that's why I've edited my post since I check in my collection and it wasn't the good year and the good movie (but the one I reviewed previously chrossed my mind too). I know my precedent message didn't make a lot of senses :-[

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
The Death Machine I am thinking of wa directed by Stephen Norrington, who later directed Blade, in 1994.

This is the Death Machine I have...

Death Machine
The year is 2003. Chaank Industries, ruthless world leaders in future weapons technology, hires a new chief executive, Hayden Cale. Cale soon uncovers a secret and unethical weapons project the company is involved in and her first order of business is to shut it down. Her troubles begin just as she also tries to fire the company's technological mastermind, Jack Donte - a childlike psychotic with a dark genius for exotic weapons design. Donte retaliates by unleashing into the corporate headquarters the Death Machine, the ultimate killing unit! A weapon that tracks its target by sensing fear and has the power to rip through walls with its hard steel strength and razor teeth. Joined by two unlikely allies, Cale must wage a desperate bloody battle with the terrifying force that has no mercy, no pity and no fear.

And yes... it was directed by Stephen Norrington. I watched the trailer in profiler for it... while it looks like it could be pretty good... not really something I am in the mood for this morning. But I will keep it in mind to watch soon after I complete this movie challenge.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
And yes... it was directed by Stephen Norrington. I watched the trailer in profiler for it... while it looks like it could be pretty good... not really something I am in the mood for this morning. But I will keep it in mind to watch soon after I complete this movie challenge.  :thumbup:
Hmmm, it's available at Amazon UK for ₤4. I should get it myself with my next order there ;D

I agree, not a film to be watched in the morning...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »

Title: Dolores Claiborne
Year: 1995
Director: Taylor Hackford
Rating: R
Length: 131 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Kathy Bates
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Judy Parfitt
Christopher Plummer
David Strathairn
Eric Bogosian

Plot:
Selena St. George stares at the note and news clipping: her estranged mother Dolores has been accused of murder. Grudgingly, Selena returns to her tiny Maine hometown to offer help. Not that she believes Dolores is innocent. In truth, she harbors suspicions going back 20 years. Kathy Bates, who won a Best Actress Oscar® for Misery,† scores in another Stephen King story (directed by Taylor Hackford) as tough-talking Dolores Claiborne. Jennifer Jason Leigh is wrenching as embittered Selena. The two circle warily, piecing together past and present, memory and fact, to reveal the startling truth behind two mysterious deaths.

†1990

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have never seen before today. But I have been hearing how good it is for years. So been wanting to see it for some time now. I just hope I am not going into this one with too high of expectations. Before putting the movie in I watched the trailer in profiler... which made me want to see the movie even more. Then I glanced at the cast list to see if there was any other big names in it besides Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Lee. And I was a bit surprised to see the name Ellen Muth as a Young Selena (Jennifer Jason Lee's Character). For those of you that don't know or remember... Ellen Muth starred in the series Dead Like Me as George Lass... the recently dead girl turned reaper. This is the first thing other then Dead Like Me that I had the chance to see her in.

This movie was quick to grab... and keep my attention. Until the opening credits showed it... I completely forgot that this movie was based on a Stephen King novel. But I shouldn't be surprised as much as I enjoyed it... as I have always enjoyed all of the movies and miniseries I have seen based off his work.  I thought that the entire cast did a wonderful job on this one. I also liked the way they told the story... bringing out what they needed to as they needed to do so. Superbly using flashbacks. And that is coming from someone that don't usually like flashbacks in movies. But when done right they can really help to advance the story. And they were definitely done right here. This turned out to be a great movie to start the day off with. If you are like me... and never gotten the chance to watch this movie... I highly recommend it!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
In this year... DISH Network, a Direct Broadcast Satellite service, is launched in the United States by EchoStar... TV Land, an offshoot of Nick at Nite devoted to round-the-clock airings of classic television shows, launches in the United States... Five years after its series finale, a one-off movie of Dallas, entitled Dallas: J.R. Returns, airs on CBS...Zenith introduces the first HDTV-compatible front projection TV in the U.S.

My choices:
Titles in Italic are Movies I Never Seen
- Alien Nation: Millennium
- Alien Nation: The Enemy Within
- The Arrival
- Barb Wire
- Bordello og Blood
- Bulletproof
- The Cable Guy
- Campfire Tales
- Chain Reaction
- The Craft
- Daylight
- The Dentist
- Diabolique
- Executive Decision
- Fargo
- Feeling Minnesota
- Fly Away Home
- The Frighteners
- From Dusk till Dawn
- Futuresport
- Happy Gilmore
- Hemogoblin
- Independence Day
- Jingle All the Way
- Leprechaun 4: In Space
- The Long Kiss Goodnight
- Mars Attacks!
- Mary Reilly
- Mission: Impossible
- Primal Fear
- The Rock
- Scream
- Shadow Zone: The Undead Express
- Star Trek: First Contact
- The Substitute
- Terminal
- Stephen King's Thinner
- A Time to Kill
- Tremors 2: After shocks
- Turbulence
- Twister
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Of all those you haven't watch yet I recommand The Substitute. I've seen this one hundreds of time and always find it great ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »
I have 2 movies by that title. This one isn't the horror movie... it is the action movie...

Though my copy is the double feature with part 3. Why they skipped over part 2 and used part 3 in the double feature... who knows! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
Unfortunately it seems my mood for movies came to a screeching halt this weekend. Not sure why. So I doubt I will get to the year 2000 this weekend. But I will still try to watch some more this weekend.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »
It's the one I was thinking of Pete ;D
You can get the part two cheap (less than 4$ new) at Amazon marketplace if you want to complete the serie.
A fourth part was done too ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »
Thanks Jimmy :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »

Title: Fly Away Home: Special Edition
Year: 1996
Director: Carroll Ballard
Rating: PG
Length: 107 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Other: Dolby Digital: 5.0
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Jeff Daniels
Anna Paquin
Dana Delany
Terry Kinney
Holter Graham
Jeremy Ratchford

Plot:
The soaring adventure of a 13-year-old girl and her estranged father, who learn what family is all about when they adopt an orphaned flock of geese and teach them to fly!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Isolated Music Score with Isham Commentary

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I haven't seen until now. I wanted to watch this one with my daughter... but she wouldn't have any part of this one for some reason. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit... even if I did have to watch it on my own. The father being an artist/inventor did make him out to be a bit out there... but I guess he had to be where the story had to go. I really liked Anna Paquin in this early role... probably one of her first roles... as the teen age girl that had to fly the geese south for the winter. I really became a fan of hers after seeing her in the Showtime series True Blood. So it is pretty cool seeing her in such an early role. I also liked Dana Delaney as the father's girlfriend. As I said... I really enjoyed this one. A real feel good type movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete