Author Topic: The Movies From Within My Lifetime  (Read 98097 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Movies From Within My Lifetime
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »

Title: The Man Who Fell to Earth: The Criterion Collection
Year: 1976
Director: Nicolas Roeg
Rating: NR
Length: 139 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
David Bowie
Rip Torn
Candy Clark
Buck Henry
Bernie Casey
Jackson D. Kane

Plot:
The Man Who Fell to Earth is a daring exploration of science fiction as an art form. The story of an alien on an elaborate rescue mission provides the launching pad for Nicolas Roeg's visual tour de force, a formally adventurous examination of alienation in contemporary life. Rock legend David Bowie completely embodies the title role, while Candy Clark, Buck Henry, and Rip Torn turn in pitch-perfect supporting performances. The film's hallucinatory vision was obscured in the American theatrical release, which deleted nearly twenty minutes of crucial scenes and details. The Criterion Collection is proud to present Roeg's full, uncut version, in this exclusive new director-approved high-definition widescreen transfer.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
28-page booklet, Walter Tevis' novel, Audio interviews

My Thoughts:
Wow... ok what to say about this one. You ever watch a movie... that after it was over you really wasn't sure what it was you just watched? Well that is the basic feeling I got from this one. A very strange movie for sure. But yet with that said... I was oddly entranced by it. I have no idea how or why.  It was like certain scenes had me completely confused and scratching my head. But other scenes had me mesmerized to the point that I couldn't look away. Maybe with another viewing I will understand the movie better. Because of this... this is one I don't feel comfortable recommending to others at this time. But over all... I enjoyed it more then I didn't. It is just beyond me on how to explain it all.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
In this year... Roots begins its phenomenally successful run on ABC... Star Wars opens in cinemas and subsequently becomes the then-highest grossing film of all time... Elvis Presley, the king of rock and roll dies...Fonzie Jumps the Shark on Happy Days... Charles Emerson Winchester III makes his first appearance on M*A*S*H.

My choices:
Titles in Italic are from my Unwatched Pile
- Audrey Rose
- The Brain Machine
- Creeper
- Demon Seed
- Good Against Evil
- The Night They Took Miss Beautiful
- Pumping Iron
- A Sensitive, Passionate Man
- Sisters if Death
- Snow Beast
- Star Wars
- The Van
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »
I'm glad you found stuff to like in The Man Who Fell to Earth.  And I definitely agree it's a film that demands a second viewing.  If I ever see a copy of Performance float through the store I'm going to send you that too.  It's another of the films Roeg directed, and much like Man, it's layered and can be confusing, but I love it nonetheless.

Of course, the big film in that list from 77 is Star Wars, which despite being in the unwatched pile ... you have seen it before, right?  Cause if not, watch it.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
Yeah... I have seen Star Wars before.... just not since getting the DVD. I want to hold off on that one for a bit though... as I planned on watching it with Brittany. And she is off spending the weekend at her grandmother's house.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »
If I ever see a copy of Performance float through the store I'm going to send you that too.
Isn't performance the one with Mick Jagger? I haven't seen it and don't actually know much mor than the title, so let me ask if it contains a lot of music?

If you send a film to Pete, he will watch it. But, he doen't like music, at all! I think you can say he even dislike it... Just want to make sure you're not sending him stuff he dislikes just by the nature if te genre...

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
Yes, it is definitely the one with Mick Jagger.  I wouldn't say that it has a lot of music, however.  There is only one song that came out from the film, "Memo from Turner," otherwise there is just some atmospheric stuff like you see in every movie.  It's not a musical, or anything remotely close. 
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:32 AM »
So from that angle it's fine then...

I don't have enough Roeg films myself, I think. I used to enjoy them whenever I found them on TV, but I think the Man Who Fell To Earth is the only DVD I have. Or wait, Walkabout is his also... (that DVD is an early criterion release, still using a laserdisc master it seems, I should upgrade to the Blu-ray).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »

Title: Pumping Iron: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition
Year: 1977
Director: George Butler, Robert Fiore
Rating: PG
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Lou Ferrigno
Matty Ferrigno
Victoria Ferrigno
Mike Katz
Franco Columbu

Plot:
In 1977, an independent documentary movie shone a light on the world of bodybuilding, becoming a huge box office hit and creating an international sensation. It launched one man's multi-millian dollar career and changed the world of bodybuilding and physical exercise forever: PUMPING IRON. Starring five-time Mr.Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger, the movie followed the 28-year-old bodybuilder as he competed for his 6th title.

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Interviews
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I never been much for the whole bodybuilding competition thing. But I am a fan of Arnold  Schwarzenegger movies... and I never missed Lou Ferrigno in The Incredible Hulk. So it was still entertaining to see these two in this When I was asked to review this one I was told it "The film intends to be a documentary, but feels more like a preview to today's reality TV shows." And after watching it I have to agree with this statement. While I enjoyed watching this for the first time... I just don't know how much re-watch value this one has. I think the only reason I enjoyed this one at all is because it has Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno in it. If it wasn't for the fact of having 2 people I have enjoyed watching for years... I would have no interest in this subject matter what so ever. And that can only take you but so far.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
In this year... The Blues Brothers make their first appearance on Saturday Night Live... Charlie Chaplin's coffin is stolen from a Swiss cemetery three months after burial... George Lucas purchases Bulltail Ranch, on Lucas Valley Road, for the development of Skywalker Ranch...The first Sundance Film Festival is held.

My choices:
Titles in Italic are Movies I Never Seen
- Bloodsucking Freaks
- Dawn of the Dead
- Halloween
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- The New Adventures of Heidi
- Damien: Omen II
- Slave of the Cannibal God
- Someone's Watching Me
- Summer of Fear
- Superman: The Movie
- Terror
- Coach
- Malibu Beach
- Trauma
- War of the Robots
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »

Title: Terror
Year: 1978
Director: Norman J. Warren
Rating: R
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
John Nolan
Carolyn Courage
James Aubrey
Sarah Keller
Tricia Walsh
Glynis Barber

Plot:
A horror-filled study of supernatural forces and their powers, this tense drama is about a strange creature that has sworn revenge for its death on a young British heir and his close friends.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that is in the oddly named boxset Gorehouse Greats Collection. I say oddly named because I have watched a few movies in this set now... and I am yet to see what I would call gore. Maybe it is me... I mean I realize these movies are from the '60s and '70s... so maybe this tiny bit of blood I have seen from this set so far was considered gore at that time. But when a set that came out in 2009 is called Gorehouse Greats Collection... do you not expect to see some actual gore? I think the collection of movies in this set is fine... some good some not so good... even some terrible movies in this set. I can accept that. But with such a title to the boxset... these are not the movies I would expect to see when I buy it. And I think most people would expect the same.  Matter of fact I can see people enjoy this set for some classic horror... that would refuse to buy the set because they expect them to be gory.

OK... off my soapbox about the set itself... and on to this movie. I will say this one definitely has more blood in it then the ones I watched from this set previously. But it is still not to the point that I would call it a gory movie. I don't know... maybe for the time it is about as gory as they got. But as for the over-all movie... I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story kept my attention well. While more of a supernatural movie... watching this one you can see the step towards the slasher films that are so well known from the '80s. This movie alone makes this purchase worthwhile. The quality of the release is also much better then the previous movies I watched in this set. This is a movie I wouldn't mind upgrading to a single movie release... with a few extras. Though I did find the acting in some scenes a bit off... it really wasn't enough to distract me from the movie. Anyway... I am glad I watched this movie today. It actually put me in the mood for some more horror. Especially all the fun horror movies that I remember watching as a teen from the '80s!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »
In this year... Alien, a landmark of the science fiction genre, is released.... John Wayne dies.... Over 300 million households worldwide now own television sets....Solid Gold makes its television debut.

My choices:
- Alien
- The Amityville Horror
- Norma Rae
- Phantasm
- Salem's Lot
- Spare Parts
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Wolf Man
- Zombie

I just recently got Phantasm II in a boxset I purchased. And I just can't remember if I ever seen part 2 before or not. So I think I will probably watch Phantasm for this year... to kinda remind me of the movie in preparation to watch part 2 when it comes up. I haven't watched the first one in so long that it is barely in my memory. Though in one way this disappoints me. After watching 10 movies for this challenge so far... this will be the first movie I watch that I have actually seen before.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
Looks like you enjoyed Terror as much as I did ;D
I was frighten that you didn't because of the buildup I did, not that my opinion are usually wrong but maybe I could have set your expections too high. It's the reason I didn't mention it again when I saw your 1978 list.

When you will get the chance try to watch Satan's Slave from the same director (the film is also in the set), it isn't as good but it's enjoyable too. Of course it doesn't fit on this marathon anymore since it was made in 76...

I think I will probably watch Phantasm for this year...
Just rewatched it recently and you can't go wrong choosing it, I love this one :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »

Title: Phantasm: Special Edition
Year: 1979
Director: Don Coscarelli
Rating: R
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.74:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
A. Michael Baldwin
Bill Thornbury
Reggie Bannister
Kathy Lester
Terrie Kalbus
Ken Jones

Plot:
Enter the stunning and surreal world of Phantasm – where nothing is as it seems and every move you make could lead to a fate worse than death! Writer/director Don Coscarelli (The Beastmaster) delivers this sci-fi/horror classic that has spawned a cult of fans world-wide and which Newsweek calls "off-the-wall, scary [and] marvelous."

13-year-old Mike Pearson (Michael Baldwin) had always thought that the Morningside cemetery was a little creepy, but when he witnesses a body being taken away from a grave by an undertaker with superhuman strength, he decides to investigate. What he encounters in Morningside's white-marbled halls include a grisly murder – by a flying metal sphere with a penchant for blood – a horde of cloaked mini-monsters who want Mike as one of their own – and the evil Tall Man (Angus Scrimm). Experience the ultimate nightmare: Phantasm "will scare [and] delight" (Variety) anyone who dares to keep their eyes open 'til its smashing finish!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Interviews
Closed Captioned
"Behind-The Scenes" Booklet

My Thoughts:
I am glad I watched this one again. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Angus Scrimm did a good job being the Tall Man. I found him to be pretty creepy. But another that I found to be on the creepy side here was the psychic woman and her granddaughter that Mike went to go see early on in the movie. The way they worked off each other I felt was very cool. And of course I liked the signature of the Phantasm movies... the flying ball. I really enjoyed every minute of re-watching this movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
In this year... The Empire Strikes Back is released and is the biggest grosser of the year.... Bruce Willis makes his film debut in the Frank Sinatra movie The First Deadly Sin.... Walter Cronkite announces his retirement from the CBS Evening News....The Cable News Network (CNN) begins broadcasting.

My choices:
- Altered States
- The Boogey Man
- Caddyshack
- The Changeling
- Christmas Evil
- A christmas without Snow
- Coach of the Year
- Dominique is Dead
- The Empire Strikes Back
- The Fog
- Foxes
- Friday the 13th
- Happy Birthday to Me
- House on the Edge of the Park
- Mama Dracula
- Motel Hell
- Private Benjamin
- Prom Night
- The Promise of Love
- Raging Bull
- The Shining
- Superman II

I am not sure... but next up I am thinking about Superman II... mainly because I am feeling in the mood for some Superhero fun. Now whether that changes between now and the next movie I watch is anybody's guess. It has definitely happened before.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »
I am not sure... but next up I am thinking about Superman II... mainly because I am feeling in the mood for some Superhero fun. Now whether that changes between now and the next movie I watch is anybody's guess. It has definitely happened before.

As far as I can see, you do not have "Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut" in your collection. You should rectify this at some point. It is the superior version of this movie, I think.