Author Topic: The Expendables  (Read 6994 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: The Expendables
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »
I saw it tonight.  I really liked it.  Working on a review for Epinions now..then need to catch up with my reviews here. :)
I think I need like 20 extra hours a day.   :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 08:55:58 AM »
I really enjoyed this one.  The plot and characters aren't that developed and some things are predictable, but the movie is still highly entertaining and definitely worth watching.  The action is the main focus of this one, though there is enough of a plot to explain why the characters are in the situations they are in.  This is a really good action movie.  It won't appeal to some people, but it is a good choice for people in the mood for a mindless action movie.

The action starts right from the beginning.  The action is a bit over the top at times, but it work with what is going on.  It is clear to me that the movie is trying to be like the action movies from the 80's.  That might bother some people, but I liked a lot of those mindless action movies and that approach works for this one.  The action scenes are done really well and there isn't a ton of CGI like happens in so many of the newer movies.  Unfortunately, there is some jerky camera work in some of the action scenes which I hate, but it wasn't as annoying as it has been in some other movies.  There are all sorts of fights and shootings and explosions.  All those things make the movie more entertaining.  The action stuff is so over the top it isn't that believable, but that didn't bother me at all.  The good guys do get hurt a bit, though they manage to avoid most injuries, even when bad guys are spraying bullets at them.  Since there is so much action, there is a lot of violence as well, some of which is more graphic. 

The characters are interesting, but none of them are developed that much.  Barney and Lee are in the more of the movie.  Barney seems to be the one in charge of the group, though he consults with Lee and Ying about certain things.  A little more about Lee comes out when he is trying to deal with a problem with Lacy, the woman he's been involved with.  I did like Barney and Lee..they just aren't that developed.  The other members of the team are developed even less.  That didn't bother me when I was watching the movie.  The villains are mostly flat, but they are effective villains.  The cast does really well with their parts.  I was surprised to see Charisma Carpenter turn up as Lacy.  It was nice to see her again, though she doesn't have much to do.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie and think it is definitely worth watching.  This is an awesome action movie.  People in the mood for a mindless action movie or fans of the cast should give it a chance. 

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Expendables

kahless

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 09:26:50 AM »
Thanks for this review!  :thumbup: Exactly what I expected. Now I'm eager so have it on blu ray!  :clap:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:53 AM »
I'm glad you liked the review.  :)

I want it on Blu too. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
Finally got to watch this film yesterday. It was great fun all the way through, replicating that 80s action wonderfully while upping the gore substantially (unfortunately often with CGI, as Michael pointed out). If one is looking for cerebral stimulation or emotional film making, they gotta look elsewhere! Here, bad dialog is celebrated as a staple of the genre and the talking only gets us from one action scene to the next.

One of the clear high points to me was, although it only lasted a minute or two, having Stallone, Wilis and Schwarzenegger in the same scene!