Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 12166 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »

Title: Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Year: 1990
Director: Joe Dante
Rating: PG-13
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Howie Mandel
Tony Randall
Zach Galligan
Phoebe Cates
John Glover
Robert Prosky

Plot:
The rules are the same but the laughs are bigger and the thrills are better. This time Billy and everyone's favorite Mogwai, Gizmo, must face off against a new batch of Gremlins that definitely think New York is their kind of town.

Plus, feed on a great batch of extras including never-before-seen footage, a "behind-the-screams" look at working with the Gremlins, a full-length audio commentary and much, much more!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned
Trivia

My Thoughts:
Next I felt like watching something a little more on the comedy side. After watching the part one last month for the first time in many years... thought I would do the same for part 2 now. While I did enjoy it quite a bit... I do like the first one better. I don't know... I think there is just too much going on all at once in this one. It is like they squeezed every idea they could think of into this one. Through-out the entire movie I was thinking the guy that owns the building looks so familiar to me... but I just couldn't place it. So after the movie was over I checked the credits... turned out to be John Glover (Lionel Luthor on Smallville). He looked so different! Of course this movie is a good 20 years old now.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
My mood has changed a bit today... I don't really feel up to any more of those cartoon shorts. So for the last day of the marathon I am going to go strictly with the movies... no toons in between.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »

Title: The Pledge
Year: 2001
Director: Sean Penn
Rating: R
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Patricia Clarkson
Beau Daniels
Benicio Del Toro
Dale Dickey
Wendy Morrow Donaldson
P. Adrien Dorval

Plot:
The murder suspect confessed, then took his own life. Case closed? Not for Nevada homicide cop Jerry Black. He has his own instincts about the crime. And even though he's ready to begin a gone-fishin' early retirement, he promised the victim's family he'd find the killer.

Jack Nicholson (as Jerry) heads an all-star cast (Robin Wright Penn, Aaron Eckhart, Benicio Del Toro and more) in the gripping tale of a detective, driven to seek the truth…and driven into the darker reaches of his own mind by obsession. Sean Penn (who previously guided Nicholson in "The Crossing Guard") directs, shaping sharp portrayals, crisp detail and a mounting sense of dread into a thriller both unconventional and unforgettable.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
When I stumbled onto this movie in my profiler... a movie I forgot I had... I checked the trailer and it looked good so decided to watch this one next. While it is a good enough movie... I don't feel it was that great. Being just over 2hrs the movie felt a little drawn out. And the ending just wasn't satisfying to me. The ending was a bit dark... and a bit strange... but it just didn't feel right for the story that was told. Jack Nicholson did a good job in the movie... as did most everyone else. But for me at least... the ending brought this movie down quite a bit.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:58 AM »
In the first post of this thread I said I had 586 movies in my unwatched pile. Then I watched a good handful of movies in this marathon. Now today I bought and ordered some more DVDs... And with what I bought/ordered today... I am right back to 586 unwatched movies in my collection!  :stars: :laugh:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
In the first post of this thread I said I had 586 movies in my unwatched pile. Then I watched a good handful of movies in this marathon. Now today I bought and ordered some more DVDs... And with what I bought/ordered today... I am right back to 586 unwatched movies in my collection!  :stars: :laugh:
Proof that you will always have a pile of shame :P