Author Topic: Black Swan  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Black Swan
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:26:34 AM »
Black Swan

I ended up going to see Black Swan last week.  Even once I started hearing more about the movie, I still wasn't completely sure what to expect.  This is definitely a different movie.  It did take me a while to get a review done because I had to do a lot of thinking on it.  I do think this is a good, well done movie that deserves to be seen.  I'm just not sure how much I actually liked the movie.  I'm also not sure that I want to see it again.

The movie is dark and twisted in many ways.  It is a psychological thriller with a decent amount of suspense in a few scenes.  Nina is already rather fragile emotionally when the movie begins.  Everything that happens just pushes her closer and closer to the edge until she goes over.  With the way things are presented, it isn't always clear what is really happening and what is a hallucination or dream.  That will probably bother some viewers.  Some of what happens may offend some viewers.  The movie really isn't that violent, though a bit of violence turns up in a few scenes that are a bit graphic.  some of what happens is shocking. 

Most people have heard about the lesbian scene between Portman and Kunis.  The scene really isn't that graphic and it doesn't last that long, though it probably is too long for some people.  In some ways, that happening fits for the development of Nina.  In other ways, it sort of seems like it is added in just to shock viewers. 

There are only a few characters, and all of them are tied to the world of ballet in some way.  The cast, especially Natalie Portman, is absolute amazing.  Portman is wonderful and she deserves the awards she is starting to win for the performance.

Overall, Black Swan is a very well done movie.  It just isn't going to appeal to everyone.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Black Swan

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Black Swan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:46:29 AM »
I hoping this will get a run at my local cinema. A friend of mine saw it a couple of nights back and said he absolutely loved it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:49:42 AM »
"Dario Argento on crack."
Mark Kermode

Haven't seen the film, can't comment :P

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:14 AM »
"Dario Argento on crack."