Author Topic: Down Periscope  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Down Periscope
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »
Down Periscope

Veteran skipper John Dodge (Kelsey Grammer, TV's "Frasier") will never be a textbook officer, but he's a brilliant seaman who's always wanted to command a nuclear submarine. Instead, he's given the helm of the Stingray, a diesel-powered World War II sub crewed by a collection of maladjusted, mistake-prone misfits (Lauren Holly, Rob Schneider, Harrry Dean Stanton), then ordered to take on the U.S. Navy's best in a crucial war game. Batten down the hatches for unmistakable hilarity that takes 200 years of naval tradition and throws it all overboard!

My Thoughts

I first saw this movie when it originally came out.  I fully admit that the movie is silly, but I think it is fun and entertaining.  The plot is rather simple and not that realistic, but it manages to be entertaining.  The silly stuff does add a good amount of humor to what is going on.  Some of the jokes are a little on the gross or crude side.  The humor won't work for some viewers.  Most of what happens is predictable, but the movie still manages to be entertaining.

The character are interesting, especially Dodge.  He knows what he is doing for his job, but he's made a few questionable choices in the past that are still held against him.  I think Kelsy Grammar does good with the part.  He may have ended up with more of a film career if this movie had done better.  Pretty much every character has some sort of quirk.  Those things do make things more entertaining and interesting. 

The DVD doesn't have any extras.  As far as I know, the movie isn't available on Blu-ray.

Even though the movie is very silly and predictable, I still think it is fun and entertaining.  Fans of the cast might find something to like.  This one isn't going to appeal to everyone though.

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions.

Down Periscope

MEJHarrison

Re: Down Periscope
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
I agree with your review.  Silly, stupid movie that somehow manages to be a great time! ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
Right.  It isn't one to take seriously.  Just watch it for a laugh.  Some people get entirely too critical at times.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
I remember the music video of 'In the Navy' was constantly shown on TV during the time of the movie's release. It was very catching, in a very annoying way.  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »
 :laugh:

I forgot to mention..the Village People do show up during the closing credits..with In the Navy playing.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
I remember a parody of that on The Simpsons. The sub dives while the Village People are all still singing on the deck, then shortly after there's a shot of their hats floating on the surface of the water.  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
I remember that too.   :laugh: