Author Topic: The A-Team  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The A-Team
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:31:41 PM »
I use to watch The  A-Team all the time and while some aspects of the show are silly, it is fun and entertaining overall.  I've been interested in seeing the movie for a while now and I decided to go see it Friday.

Things start off showing how the four guys first end up working together.  Hannibal and Face are in Mexico on a mission when B.A. gets pulled in because he just happens to be at the same place as Hannibal.  Someone set it up for Hannibal to get Murdock to fly them out in a helicopter even though Murdock is in a hospital being treated for mental problems.  Somehow the mission goes well, though it does start B.A. intense fear of flying.  Considering what happened during that flight, it is perfectly understandable why he feels that way. 

Eight years later, the team is still working together in Iraq.  They are considered a very elite team.  Lynch, a CIA agent, approaches Hannibal about a mission that others on the military base are warning him away from.  Hannibal decides to do the mission.  Things go very wrong and the team is convicted of a crime they didn't do and sent to prison.  Hannibal develops a plan to get them out and clear their names.

There are two short scenes at the end of the credits that are really entertaining.

Things have been updated from the television show, having the men involved in the war in Iraq instead of Vietnam.  They use more modern gadgets with some of their plans.  The basic idea of the team being convicted of something they didn't do is there, though I think the crime is different from what was in the original show.  I like that time is taken to show the first mission all four of them do together.  That helps to define the dynamics of the group really well.  The plot really isn't that complicated, even with the addition of Charissa, a former lover of Face's who is with the Department of Defense and the main person looking for them once they break out.  There are a few surprises even though much of what happens is predictable.  Things that happened in the show do turn up in the movie.  Some of the characters say lines that they always said in the show and B.A. does say "I'm gonna kill you fool", something I believe he said frequently in the show.  The them from the show is heard, as is the voice over explaining about them being wrongly convicted and how people can hire them if they can find them.  The black van is in the movie, though not as much as I had thought it would be from the trailers.  I really liked all the little references back to the show.

Like I expected, there is a lot of action throughout the movie, though considering all the shootings and explosions, the violence isn't that extreme or graphic.  The action scenes are done very well, though in a few of them, the quick cuts make it harder to tell what is going on.  Some of what happens is more extreme and unbelievable, but it helps to make the movie entertaining.  A good example of this is a sequence involving a tank that has been shown in the previews.  That just doesn't seem possible at all, but it makes a cool scene.

The characters are very much like I remember from the show, though I think there are small differences here and there.  It has been a long time since I last saw the show, so I might be forgetting some things.  Liam Neeson is wonderful as Hannibal, the leader of the team.  He comes up with plans that are sometimes bizarre, but they usually work.  He has his own ideas for what is right and wrong.  Face is very much a ladies man, though he has no trouble using various weapons.  He is very good looking, though he really doesn't seem vain or conceited.  He's really likable and able to manipulate things, even when in prison.  I like Bradley Cooper in the part.  It probably helps that he looks really good with his shirt off. 

Murdock is clearly not playing with a full deck, though he shows moments of complete sanity and he is able to pull off his part of the various plans, sometimes improvising.  He is an interesting character and I always liked him on the show.  Sharlto Copley does well with the part.  B.A. is a tough guy who can hold his own in a fight, but he isn't always angry and looking for a fight.  For some of the movie, he is actually trying to avoid any sort of fight.  That is a bit different from how I remember B.A., but I think it works for the character.  Quinton "Rampage" Jackson does really well with the part.

Yes some of what happens is silly and there are definite believability issues, but The A-Team is a good action movie.  This is a good mindless action movie and people shouldn't expect more from it.  Fans of the show may find something to like, though they may also not like some of the changes.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.
The A-Team

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The A-Team
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »
Laws of physics are for fools, it seems :laugh:

I thought it was an entirely awesome experience, as long as you check your brain at the entrance. Knowing the TV show (a bit, not very much) I didn't expect any different. I had heaps of fun with the action (although, as above, laws of nature do get bent) and with the humor as well.

There are two short scenes at the end of the credits that are really entertaining.
:weep:

My friend wanted to leave and I just went. :slaphead: What happens?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »
(click to show/hide)

So...they aren't really important, but I enjoyed them.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:34:42 AM »
Wow.

(click to show/hide)

Thanks. Not important indeed, still would have been fun to see them.

Well, considering the non-stop fun I had with the film, maybe I will purchase it later on.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:38:36 AM »
Yup...just fit in with the fun nature of the movie overall I think.

I'm sure I'll get the movie since I liked it so much.

lyonsden5

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
I just watched this movie last night (birthday present from my boys). It was everything I expected it to be.  :laugh: I was a huge fan of the original TV show. The movie actually did a good job explaining the relationship between the team. Also set itself up nicelty for a sequel or two.  :thumbup:

Like Achim said, you do have to check your brain at the door but personally, most of the time when I watch a movie I want to turn my brain off and just watch things explode!  :clapcheer:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:25 AM »
I've watched it again on Blu-ray.  I still really enjoy the show.  I really like it...I'd like a sequel or two like you said...but I don't know if it will happen since it didn't make as much as the studio wanted.  But I think it is a good action movie.  And the cast was really good.

kahless

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:48:09 AM »
Great review! I also think that this is a very good action movie.  :thumbup:
I own the series as well and I don't understand people nagging about the remake! :shrug: You can't compare a 30 years old series with a current action movie.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:49:17 AM »
I know.  And a movie isn't automatically bad because it is a remake.  Some of them are good.

I thought the casting was good for the movie too.