Author Topic: True Grit - 2010  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
True Grit - 2010
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:18:17 AM »
True Grit - 2010

I haven't liked a lot of westerns, though I haven't watched that in years.  I have liked the few newer ones that I've seen.  Anyway, after seeing the trailers for True Grit, I decided I wanted to see it.  I might have seen the John Wayne version before, but I couldn't remember if I did.  After seeing the new version, I saw the previous version.  Both movies are really good.  Also today, I bought the book.  I wasn't planning to, but I came across it in Walmart and I decided to get it.  Both versions of the movies are very similar, though there are a few differences here and there. 

The plot is very entertaining.  The story is sort of a revenge story, but it isn't just a revenge story.  Mattie wants justice for her father, not just revenge.  Time is taken early in the movie to set up everything and introduce the characters.  It doesn't take long for more to start happening.  The movie really isn't that violent, but one or two scenes are very violent, with one even being a tad gory.  Rattlesnakes also turn up at one point..I really could have done without that scene. 

While things look a bit more dirty and bleak in this version of the movie, the cinematography is gorgeous.  The sort of bleak look fits perfectly with what is going on.  There are a few hauntingly beautiful moments in the movie. 

The characters are wonderful and complex.  Mattie is one of the best characters I've seen in a movie in a long time. She is a very determined young woman who can talk her way through just about any situation.  She handles some kind of trade deal so well that the poor man looks ready to cry when he figures out she wants to trade again.  Cogburn is a marshal, though he does use some questionable methods.  He isn't a villain, but he isn't completely a hero type character either.  He is quick to shoot and likes to drink.  In fact he drinks so much, he falls of his horse at one point.  He seems incompetent at times, but he has moments that are brilliant.  When he decides on something, he doesn't stop.  He is not a man to cross.  Jeff Bridges is amazing in the part.  Matt Damon does really well as La Boeuf, the Texas Ranger who tends to clash with Cogburn.  Josh Brolin isn't in as much of the movie, but he is really good too.

I loved True Grit and I could see myself adding the movie to my collection.  I may even see it in the theater again.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

True Grit

By the way, my mom and step dad have also seen this one.  They really like westerns, and have seen the one with John Wayne a lot of times.  My mom fully expected not to like this one...she felt they ruined 3:10 to Yuma in the remake.  Anyway, both of them loved the movie too and my mom actually wants to see it again in the theater.  She has only done that like 4 times total.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: True Grit - 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
Gotta try to catch this in the cinema...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
You really should.  It is definitely worth seeing.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:55 PM »
Sounds like I won't have to defend it anymore ("It's not a frickin' remake!") because this sounds incredible and it is getting fantastic reviews. Empire came today and they rated it 5/5, as they did The Fighter, but they said this was near-perfect. They also liked Black Swan, which I want to see.

But The Tourist got the same as Little Fockers...  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »

But The Tourist got the same as Little Fockers...  ;)

What????  Ok, I fully admit that The Tourist isn't perfect and has some flaws, but as bad as Little Fockers??  What the hell was that person smoking?  Sheesh.

Oh True Grit is wonderful.  I'm actually going to see it again tonight.  I need to get going. 
I liked True Grit a bit more than The Fighter..also a very good movie. I'm considering Black Swan.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
That's what I mean. Both Empire and Film 2010 (soon to be 2011, I assume!) slated The Tourist. In fact, Rotten Tomatoes is always a good general guide to how people are reacting because they give a critics percentage and users.

Little Fockers: 10% positive (ouch!), but 54% of regular users liked it.
The Tourist: 20% (not much better) and 78% which is well above average.

Clearly there is a big gap between critics and audiences on The Tourist. Empire rated both as 2 out of 5, but as we've discussed in the past, star ratings are only half of it. With Fockers they gave it a kicking, with Tourist they seemed more disappointed. It could easily have been 1 and 3 instead.

Just to continue the demonstration with your current reviews:

True Grit: 95%/86%
The Fighter: 89%/81%

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
Sounds like I won't have to defend it anymore ("It's not a frickin' remake!") because this sounds incredible and it is getting fantastic reviews.

Despite being a Spielberg PG-13 production  :P, I'm looking forward to it as well. Wonder how it will compare to Winter's Bone, which so far is the best US movie of 2010 I've seen.
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:13:04 AM »
I'm back from seeing it again.  I still love it.  It holds up on repeat viewings.

My mom is even saying she might go see it again...she never does that.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:27 AM »
I think True Grit opens here later this month. This will be a good movie to see with my Dad.