Author Topic: The Fighter  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Fighter
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:28 AM »
The Fighter

I don't like boxing.  I never watch it and I know nothing about any boxers.  However, despite that, I decided I wanted to see The Fighter, a movie about real boxers Micky Ward and Dickie Eklund.  The movie is focused on a specific period of their lives.  Dickie's life is a mess, with him spending most of his time high even though he is supposed to be training Micky and working on his own comeback.  The entire family has issues and there are huge problems in the way the family interacts with each other.  The family has major issues.

A lot of Micky's training is shown, as well as some of his boxing matches.  Some of the fights are more brutal and a bit difficult to watch.  The movie isn't overly violent, though it probably is too violent for some people. 

The cast is wonderful, especially Christian Bale.  He lost a lot of weight for the part.  That does make him look more like a drug addict, but he's also a bit creepy looking.  Bale this thin just doesn't look good.  He looks so different from how I'm use to seeing him.  Mark Wahlberg and Amy Adams are also really good in their parts.

I enjoyed The Fighter overall and do think it is well worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

The Fighter

Dr. Hasslein

Re: The Fighter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:28:28 AM »
Good review Marie, I'd like to see this movie.

My best friend's wife looks like Amy Adams, beautiful woman.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »
Thank you :)

It is really good..definitely worth watching.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »
I went to see the Fighter last night and it was fantastic. A really great story and solid performances, especially from Christian Bale and I don’t think I've even seen so many unattractive women in one film, except for Amy Adams of course who is gorgeous  as always. ;D

And what is it about people from Massachusetts and swearing?  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:12 AM »
 :laugh:
That's a good question.  I noticed that in The Town too. 
Maybe because they are from not so nice areas...and Dickie was higher than a kite at times.

Christian Bale and Melissa Leo won Golden Globes for their parts.  I think both of them were really good in the movie...especially Bale.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
Bale's Golden Globe was well deserved and I'm sure he'll get the Oscar too.
I had never seen or heard of Melissa Leo until yesterday, she was great and kind of reminds me if my auntie, except my auntie isn't a crazy bitch.  :laugh:
But I really wanted Amy Adams to win. Perhaps the Oscars will be a different story.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »
I think Bale deserved it too.

I do like Amy Adams..she was really good in this..so different from all the other parts I've seen her play.
I don't know if I'd seen Melissa Leo in anything else before or not...that character definitely had issues.   :laugh:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:26:35 AM »
I don't know if I'd seen Melissa Leo in anything else before or not...that character definitely had issues.   :laugh:

I know, her poor husband. And all her daughters.  :yucky:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »
She was definitely a controlling woman who knew how to manipulate her family..and lay on the guilt trips if she didn't get her way.

She probably did truly think she was doing what was best for her kids in some twisted way. 
(click to show/hide)

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:02:39 AM »
Yes she definitely was, not a very nice person at all.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:54 AM »
(click to show/hide)