Author Topic: Antares' Short Summations  (Read 102760 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Antares' Short Summations
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2016, 01:16:30 AM »
Spotlight (2015) 88/100 - I thought I'd never utter or type these words...I've lost my love for films. I've spent a lot of money amassing a large collection of DVDs, which mostly sit in folders, unwatched. Over the last few years, I've bemoaned the fact that a majority of the films coming out of Hollywood are complete crap. A couple of nights ago, I was searching through the Redbox website, and after meandering throughout all the cinemuck, saw Spotlight. I've been pretty much out of the loop as to what's been coming out over the last year, but I knew that this had won the Oscar for Best Picture. I grew up in Massachusetts during the time frame of these atrocities and having attended Catholic schools for 12 years, thought this film might be the one that restores the fire in the dying embers of my film flame... it did. I love a good "journalist investigation" film and this has to rank up there with some of the best. After I finished the film, I went on Criticker and read some of the reviews there. I was surprised to see so many people trashing it, from what I felt, was a misunderstanding of what the film was made for. It's purpose wasn't to make a groundbreaking, technical masterpiece, nor was it made to stir up the crimes of the Catholic church. It was made to show how important a Free Press is to OUR freedom and security. We live in a world where everything is being crammed into either a 15 second sound bite or a 140 character Tweet. It's all disposable information and that's what the corporations, who have taken over our country want. If it's disposable, it's also desensitizing and an apathetic and passive populace is easy prey.

Teal = Masterpiece
Dark Green = Classic or someday will be
Lime Green = A good, entertaining film
Orange = Average
Red = Cinemuck
Brown = The color of crap, which this film is

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 19, 2016, 02:13:06 AM »
Concussion (2015) 64/100 - How do you take such a fascinating subject, one which deals with a huge corporate entity trying to smash an individual and his reputation, and make such a boring movie? The moments when the film is dealing with the science and Omalu's search for the reason for retired NFL player's dementia is riveting. But either the producer or the film company decided that women wouldn't probably go to see it, so they focus over half of the film's length, dealing with Omalu's romance to his number one supporter. It's a shame that Will Smith's outstanding performance, is mired in this muck of a meandering subplot. If you want to learn more about this subject, watch the PBS Frontline episode League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis. It tells the story, from beginning to end, how, not only Bennett Omalu, but Ann McKee charted all the head trauma being inflicted upon NFL players during their careers. It's a fascinating documentary that every parent, who wonders, whether or not to allow their children to play football at a young age, should watch. Oh, and one more thing... Luke Wilson to play Roger Goodell? Wilson had maybe six lines of dialog in the whole film, mostly at press conferences or when they're holding the concussion summit. They couldn't find an actor with blondish hair instead, I mean, Goodell's character is pretty much a minor role in this screenplay and they couldn't even get that right.

Teal = Masterpiece
Orange = Average
Red = Cinemuck

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2017, 03:58:51 AM »
The Magnificent Seven (2016) 40/100 - How do you take a screenplay written by Akira Kurosawa, which many consider to be the story for one of the greatest films of all time, and spawned a re-working in Hollywood, that is nestled in many people's top ten westerns of all time, and make it so vacuous, cartoonish, predictable & mind-numbingly boring? I was about 20 minutes into this film and a dilemma was developing in my mind, do I continue, or just cut my losses now, before I waste another 2 hours plus on a bad film? I made the wrong choice. This was, basically, a comic book superhero film, set in the 19th century west. Absolutely no character development, the building of the team, takes less than 15 minutes of screen time. What made the two classic films of the past so great, was the initial indoctrination of each member of the seven. What made each man good enough to be included in this small team, in such an adventure. Here, for example, a Comanche warrior named Red Harvest, states that "The elders have said I'm on a different path", and he's accepted. The classic knife versus gun duel, from the original western, is over in a blink of an eye, so there's no suspense to the scene at all. In the original, James Coburn barely speaks, yet you know he's one badass, and you probably shouldn't mess with him. Here, his character is an asian ninja, dressed in Levis, and wielding more mini-swords and knives than you could imagine, and he has a propensity to mumble the few words of dialog given to him. But the pièce de résistance on this pile of pig vomit, has to be the performance of Peter Sarsgaard. I couldn't tell if he was drunk, high or just completely disgusted that he agreed to be in this film. Usually, he's a really good actor who can seize upon something in the characters he plays. But in this role, he's almost seems like he's screaming at the director, "Cut!, that's good enough, mail the check to my agent."

If you want to watch a film that takes the theme of robber baron - vs - homesteaders, then just find Kevin Costner's Open Range. It's a longer, more detailed film, that manages to fly by much faster than this train wreck.

Teal = Masterpiece
Orange = Average
Red = Cinemuck

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 15, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
Great to have your reviews back! Keep'em coming! :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas