Author Topic: Antares' Short Summations  (Read 354322 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Short Summations
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:06 AM »
Be careful or they will come at your house with "God Hate Antares" signs :laugh:

But seriously they are a bunch of looser (hope I don't offend anyone here). Anyway it's mostly a familly so one day they will disapear and the best way to see it happen is to ignore them since they live to get the publicity.

The other one who draw cartoons isn't better but at least he his a good cartoonist and his cartoon strips are funny with their weirdness. The guy is well known but I can't remember his name right now :shrug:

hal9g

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 04:44:36 AM »
Find where these people are working and start a boycott of the business, picket in front of the businesses where they work. Eventually, those who hire them will tire of the bad publicity and fire them. Once they lose the influx of cash they'll wither and disappear.

This is a great idea.  If I lived in Topeka, KS, I'd lead the boycotts!!!   :redcard:

Najemikon

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 12:29:15 PM »
Someone give me the headlines. Short summaries are one thing, but what's the synopsis and motive...  ;)

hal9g

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
Someone give me the headlines. Short summaries are one thing, but what's the synopsis and motive...  ;)

You can read about them HERE.

They are some sick puppies!

Here's an example of their activities:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:35:15 PM by Hal »

Najemikon

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
Oh, I remember now! In fact I've seen the bloody thing, I think.  :bag: Antares, is this the BBC documentary with Louis Theroux?

hal9g

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
Added Youtube link above.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
Oh, I remember now! In fact I've seen the bloody thing, I think.  :bag: Antares, is this the BBC documentary with Louis Theroux?
Accordingto IMDb: Yes (the lack of synopsis made me search there...)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
The Town (2010) 4/5 - Definitely no sophomore jinx for Affleck. While the story doesn't quite grab you as well as Gone, Baby Gone, it has enough action to keep you on the edge of your seat. What I really liked about the film was the realistic way the characters were portrayed, as opposed to the caricatures that were present in Scorcese's The Departed. This is how you do Boston accents correctly, please take note Hollywood for any further ventures.

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (1984) 3/5 - This is my third Miyazaki film and while he is extremely creative in his ideas, his movies just don't do it for me. I've never been a fan of Anime, so maybe that's the reason. But what I found with this film was that it started out great and faltered at the end. This was the same feeling I had with the other two films I watched by Miyazaki previously, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Chungking Express (1994) 3/5 - Of the threee films I watched this weekend, this was the saddest realization for me. I had heard such good things about this film and after seeing his more famous film I'm in the Mood for Love, I was ready for the same exhilaration I felt for that film. But sadly, this film is no where near the quality of his later film. This is a film that is desperately trying to be unique, artsy and hip. Only for brief moments does it gel completely, but unfortunately, those moments are few and far between. One thing it did show me was where Jean-Pierre Jeunet got the inspiration for Amelie. I'll re-visit it again in the future, hopefully a second viewing will change my mind.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
The Last of Sheila (1973) 4/5 - Has anyone been watching TCM the last two weeks? Instead of having some actor, director or film scholar pick films for the evening, they've been having TCM employees in the guest host spot, picking three of their favorite films. This has been so refreshing because they don't pick the atypical films that the more film associated person normally does. The Last of Sheila is one of those forgotten films from a time when murder mysteries were extremely popular. I saw this in its original run back in 1973, but hadn't seen it since probably the early 80's on Cinemax. It takes place on a yacht in the south of France and features seven film industry acquaintances who gather together on the one year anniversary of the yacht owner's wife's death at the hands of a hit and run driver. He has decided to play what he calls a gossip game, but in reality is really a murder mystery, which in the end, will reveal the murderer of his wife, who is among the six guests. What makes it really unique is the way the game is played out. Each of the six guests has a secret in their past, that will be revealed as the game progresses. Before the game can be finished, one of the seven is murdered and through this murder, the original murderer will be revealed. What I loved about this film then and still love about it now, is the many layers of intricacy in the plot concerning not only the murders, but the game itself. This is a very well written screenplay. The only downside to the film, is the horrible acting at times by Dyan Cannon and every thing Raquel Welch does onscreen. She should thank God every day for her natural beauty, because she has to be one of the worst actresses in the history of film. If you haven't seen this, seek it out, I think you'd be surprised at how good a film it is.

Najemikon

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
The Most Hated Family in America (2007) 4.5/5 - I'm speechless, I mean words just cannot describe the wonderment I felt knowing that these sick individuals exist in our country. I can't honestly say what I would do if a relative of mine had been killed and these sick fucks picketed the funeral. What I don't understand is why the groups that are combating Westboro's loathsome practices aren't trying to weaken them financially. In the documentary it is stated that the members of the church must work real jobs and give 10% of their earnings to the church. Find where these people are working and start a boycott of the business, picket in front of the businesses where they work. Eventually, those who hire them will tire of the bad publicity and fire them. Once they lose the influx of cash they'll wither and disappear.

Louis has gone back and done another one!  :hysterical: It's on tonight. Just watch the video clip on this link, it's incredible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12924568

Najemikon

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
As I was scanning in something on Liz Taylor for Hal, I've also done an article Louis has written for Radio Times, along with their short review. Might be of interest to some of you following these documentaries.

Louis Theroux Radio Times article

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
Louis has gone back and done another one!  :hysterical: It's on tonight. Just watch the video clip on this link, it's incredible.

Someone really needs to cyanide their Koolaid. ;)

VirtualScot

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »
The Departed (2006) 3/5 - Can someone please tell directors that no one in Massachusetts talks like the Kennedys, except for the Kennedys!!!! I lived the first 25 years of my life in Massachusetts, and it drives me absolutely insane when I watch a film that takes place in my old home state where everyone speaks so phonetically fucked up.

I can't for the life of me, understand all the praise that is heaped upon Martin Scorsese. This film was tedious at points and ridiculous in others. Scorsese, to me, has always been a little too interested in how a film looks as opposed to how the screenplay is gelling, and this film is no different. While the base story was an interesting concept, Scorsese mucks it up by having the main character be so stupid that he can't deduce that Costigan is the State Police mole, even though Costigan was an ex-trooper trainee. Shit, it's easy to see how such a bright individual worked his way up to the top of the Irish mafia. Another bad moment is when Queenan is tossed form the roof and lands at Costigan's feet, but the cops in the car who are tailing Queenan just keep saying to Sullivan, "Something came off the roof", repeatedly. I guess these cops are blind because they're parked within visual range of the front door of the building and should have been able to deduce that it was a body that came off the roof. Oh, and another thing, to get from South Boston to Washington street takes at least 20 minutes on a good day. But in this film they get there so fast, you'd think it was right around the corner. And finally, towards the end when Costello is being confronted by Sullivan, after the first shots are fired by Costello and Sullivan, there is a small bit of dialogue between the two and then finally more shots. The camera then shoots the pair from above as Sullivan yells, "I got him", yet no one is moving towards where the shots have been fired. This moment was so ridiculous I couldn't take it anymore. The second the first salvo was fired between the two, a swarm of state troopers would have started moving towards it, but this would have gotten in the way of the final showdown I guess.

I hope that the original is better than this.

I don't want to seem like im picking on one person. But it seems like you find one or two plot holes and just stick the knife in, and ignore the other quality's a film has. And Costigan being an ex trainee does not make him an obvious rat.

I bet you hated Goodfellas cause the cigarette changed hands several times.

Najemikon

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 01:12:43 AM »

Someone really needs to cyanide their Koolaid. ;)

You ain't seen nothing yet. The documentary was excellent. Hopefully they are imploding as several members Louis spoke to before have now left and their families can't even show them compassion, so that's got to spread. Oh, apparently, Jesus is due within a couple of years, but if the Supreme Court decision goes their way, they expect to be forced to leave by the country. They plan to move to Jerusalem. Or Jordan, to pink caves. I lose track.  :hysterical:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 01:16:49 AM »
They plan to move to Jerusalem. Or Jordan, to pink caves. I lose track.  :hysterical:

Jerusalem? I'm pretty sure in the original documentary they were ranting about how the Jews killed Christ. Oh...they'll be welcomed there for sure.  :stars:

Jon, can you upload this new segment? I'm dying to see it.