Author Topic: The little known movie review depot  (Read 306388 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The little known movie review depot
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Candy Stripers (1978)

Genre: Comedy
Director: Bob Chinn
Rating: XXX
Length: 1h24
Video: Full Frame
Audio: English
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Amber Hunt
Cris Cassidy
Nancy Hoffman   
Sharon Thorpe
Paul Thomas

Plot:
What happens when you let three horny teenage girls loose in a hospital?

They give new meaning to the word "BED"-lam, as they make sure that ALL of their patients' needs are taken care of...

Deep-Probing Doctors and Nasty Nurses service patients and staff in non-stop hot action guaranteed to melt you stethescopes!

My Thoughts:
Don't expect a very complicated movie there it's just a nice comedy without a real story, but don't take that as a negative comment (Debbie Does Dallas doesn't really have a story too and it's a fun time waster). The story is simple : 3 young girls work as volunteer at an hospital, their job is to distribute candy and magazine to the patient and that's all. Not really it's an adult movie, so they give more than candy :laugh:

How you can't like a movie that start with Cris Cassidy having a phone conversation while she had a sexual relationship? The cast is great here (not really on the acting point of view, but on the other important one), the 3 candy stripers are real cutie (Amber Hunt isn't what most people would call one, but she wears a pair of glasses so she's sexy for me :laugh:), Paul Thomas and Richard Pacheco are in this too (the good acting is there). The rest of the cast is nice too with Eileen Wells, Mimi Morgan and Sharon Thorpe. You can see this movie as a dream hospital for the guys (a place that would give me the idea to injured myself to become a patient :devil:).

Evidently the movie available on dvd is imcomplete, so what I have is a composite of the dvd and an old vhs release. The drop of quality is evident, but not too disturbing. The cut scenes are two fisting one and contrary to most of the time those one are sexy. I have no idea if this is something that fun in real life (just try to ask your girlfriend or wife if she would be interested to try it and... imagine the answer or the slap on the face).

A good time waster when you want something well done, tastefull, funny and not too complicated to watch.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 29, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

(click to show/hide)
Title: Necromania (1971)

Genre: Horror (kind of)
Director: Don Miller
Length: 0h56

Stars:
They want to remain anonymous :tease:

Plot:
Danny and Shirley have a problem. Danny can't seem to fulfill his marital duties (not that they're married, as it turns out) and Shirley has had about enough of it. As a solution, they seek out a 'Necromancer' known as Madame Heles to solve the problem.

My Thoughts:
This is certainly not a good movie. The story doesn't really make sense, the sex scenes are uninspired and badly filmed, most of the acting is really awfull (one of the actor isn't able to say a single phrase without missing it), the musical score is completly inapropriate (western, burlesque jazz and even the kind we heard in old silent movies) and the set and props are cheap. So what is the interest in this film?

(click to show/hide)

Rating :
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:09:58 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 30, 2009, 07:15:45 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Centerfold Girls (1974)

Genre: Crime
Director: John Peyser
Rating: Unrated
Length: 1h33
Video: Widescreen
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Andrew Prine
Tiffany Bolling
Jaime Lyn Bauer   
Jennifer Ashley
Francine York

Plot:
A reedy man wearing saddle shoes and an ill-fitting suit drags the nude body of a young woman—her throat slit-- along an otherwise empty beach. Soon a number of other beautiful women turn up dead, their throats also cut open. Nurses, students, stewardesses… what’s the common thread? All were centerfold models for a popular men’s magazine, prey to a bloodthirsty psychotic with a straight razor!

My Thoughts:
When you like the same movie genre than me you need a lot of patience, by exemple I wait for the release of The Farmer since 3 years, Bonnie's Kids since 2 years and this one since april last year (like The Roommates). All this always create big expectations, this isn't always a good thing and often you get the "that's it!" reaction. Evidently when I finally get one of these long awaited film I watch it the same day and it jump over the waiting stake of dvd.

In this film we already know who is the killer, no suspense here, this is a religious right nut. Who attack the centerfolds of a man magazine because he wants to help them since they have sin... Evidently like all those loony religious people he is just sexually repressed (it's my humble oppinion here). You can be sure that he will kill, in fact right at the beginning we see him buried a dead corpse (Miss January). Even if the film had no real suspense (since you can easilly guess what will happen) it had a great dark scary sleazy vibes in it. The fact that the killer is played by Andrew Prine help a lot since he was a big name in the drive in movies and he continue to work a lot, so the name ring maybe a bell for some of you. Sure the cast if full of beautifull girls to play the centerfolds : Jaime Lyn Bauer (Days of Our Lives), Jennifer Ashley (Nightmare Circus), Kitty Carl (tv figuration role), Ruthy Ross (Playmate of the Month June 1973) and Tiffany Bolling (Bonnie's Kids). You get a lot of character actors in small role (Aldo Ray, Mike Mazurki, Paula Shaw, Ray Danton and Jeremy Slate). But theres more; Tallie Cochrane, Connie Strickland and Anneka Di Lorenzo are in this too. What this isn't enough? You sure are a tough crowd to please... OK this is the first movie of Janus Blythe (The Hills Have Eyes, the original not the crappy remake :P). Do I really need to say that this movie had a great cast :laugh:

Another particularity of this film is the fact that it is an "anthology" in three parts. Each of them consist has the attack of one centerfold (or a group of centerfolds) by the crazy religious guy. All the parts are really well construct and all the girls pass through hell before their demise... Not as bloody as it sounds, the film lies on a scary mood (ok it had a little blood too). The last one is my favorite, but it's kind of natural since this is the Tiffany Bolling portion.

A real good drive in movie that had meet all my expectations.

Strong recommandation! A real winner!   :clap: 

Rating :
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:20:26 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2009, 04:23:48 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Little Girls Blue (1977)

Genre: Girls School
Director: Joanna Williams
Length: 1h13

Stars:
K.C. Winters
Samantha Morgan
Chris Petersen   
Carl Regal
Lori Blue

Plot:
It's a fresh take on the boarding school theme. Don't worry, the girls still engage in lots of sexual shenanigans with each other, their college faculty and staff, but this movie has something the others sadly lack: an IQ well above room temperature and a wit sharper than the high heels its stars are constantly slipping out of. Made in 1977, this title is a true classic and many of its stars will now seem like fresh new faces. This film is fun to watch as a time capsule of sorts containing '70's utterly carefree sex and totally natural bodies.

My Thoughts:
Another synopsis that tell nothing about the movie... The action happen at a private girls school where the students and the teachers let their imagination go on each other (not that mine is that great, but at least it is more real). First thing to say, and that doesn't happen often, I'm not really familliar with the girls in this movie, always nice to discover some new visage. Like I've said most of what happen is in the imagination of the protagonists when they phantasm on a student or a teacher. Those scene are surrealist with only a white room with no furniture at all and with always a big blue ball present. The love making scenes are really sexy and arousing with no talking and shouting, but only with pleasure sigh. The acting isn't too bad and surprisingly the movie doesn't have any girl-girl scene (can't remember another movie where that happens). The only thing that I've not really like is the end, happen way too fast and without a real conclusion.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2009, 06:46:27 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Pretty Peaches (1978)

Genre: Comedy
Director: Alex De Renzy
Length: 1h28

Stars:
Desiree Cousteau
Joey Silvera
Ken Scudder   
John Leslie
Juliet Anderson

Plot:
Peaches is a daffy carefree female who cheerfully plunges through life without any worries. After attending her father's wedding, she has an accident in her jeep that leaves her unconscious. Two guys find her and immediately take advantage of their good luck. It turns out that Peaches has amnesia, so the fellows offer to help her. The plot revolves around all the silly circumstances and schemes they come up with, and her resolve to keep on smiling through it all. Alex De Renzy regards Pretty Peaches as one of his best all around films.

My Thoughts:
This one is a classic and a really good comedy. Desiree Cousteau gives a real good acting performance with all the timing and charm needed to lead a comedy (not something that we can say about many so-called comic actors actually). Here you have a real movie with a pretty good plot that follows the misadventure of Peaches while she tries to get back her memory. Silvera does a good job too in the role of one of the guy who try to profit of the whole situation and, as usual, Paul Thomas and John Leslie are perfectly reliable. The movie had even a shocking ending (it takes a shock to bring back the memory and this is a real one). Sadly this movie is unrelease officially on dvd and it will never be, because the label had a stupid censorship politics. The movie countains a sequence where Peaches is raped by four women (not really a funny scene and played very real by Miss Cousteau) and, even if no laws prohibits this on a movie, the labels censor themselves on this. This isn't for nothing if so many classic adult movies aren't available uncut on official dvd (the sad fact is that they show more worst than that in what they called adult movie now :yucky:).

Rating :
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:48:39 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 02, 2009, 05:26:22 AM »
I've decided to start a second thread for my reviews. Evidently this one is always active, but I will now use it only for non hardcore movies. It didn't means that it will became a child movie topic, you know the genre of stuff that I usually watch :laugh:, but it will return as it was at the beginning.

Of course I'll continue to watch and review adult movies... I've actually 285 of them (a number that increase each weeks) and the majority aren't reviewed or watched yet...

So, you will have the old topic that could be considered safe for work and the new one not really safe (even if I don't post any picture).

Nobody had request this, but I think that it will be appreciated :shrug:

Forget to mention that I will not move the ones that are already here, since it would been way too much works to make the correction in the review index :surrender:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:06:04 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2009, 06:11:46 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: JCVD (2008)

Genre: Drama
Director: Mabrouk El Mechri
Rating: 13+
Length: 1h37
Audio: French & English
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

Stars:
Jean-Claude Van Damme
François Damiens
Karim Belkhadra   
Zinedine Soualem
Norbert Rutili

Plot:
The "Muscles from Bussels" is back and facing the biggest fight of his life. Returning to his home town for some much needed rest after losing his daughter in a lengthy custody battle, Jean-Claude Van Damme finds himself smack in the middle of a bank heist. Even worse, the cops think the penniless aging action star is the culprit. Now in the midst of a dangerous hostage situation where everyone wants a piece of Van Damme, JCVD will have to use his Hollywood training to plan an escape. But can Van Damme really be the underdog hero in real life?

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies that I was waiting to watch the most this year (the other is The Wrestler), since I was a big fan of the Van Damme's action movies. Evidently this film isn't an action movie and this is a good thing since it's ridiculous to continue to play the tough guy at a certain age (a good exemple could be Steven Seagal, but he was never that great to begin with). I can say that Van Damme had win his bet with this film : he can act. It's great to watch an aging actor showing that he isn't invincible and just a normal guy. I've appreciated the performances of the actor playing the fan-boy criminal and the woman playing the taxi driver (she really made me laugh, but I ain't sure how it looks in a dub version).

I've like the film from the beginning untill the end at least in the original version (didn't watch the dub one, it's possible that the emotions doesn't pass the same way). 

Rating :

Najemikon

« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
Jimmy, have you heard of Dr Antoine Pellissier? I've just watched a clip of a British TV show from a few years ago called Eurotrash, which was basically French host Antoine de Caunes taking the mickey out of anything weird and wonderful from Europe. It was bloody bizarre! Ranf to years... Wikipedia Entry for Eurotrash

Anyway, Pellissier is apparently a real French doctor, but in his spare time, he makes horror films. They look horrendous and apparently are so disgusting most people fail to watch all the way through! Obviously, I immediately thought of you...  :P

There doesn't seem to be much info on him, but I did find this interview. I think the film they kept showing bits from was called "Malefica".

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2009, 02:36:29 AM »
Never heard of him, but it isn't that much of a surprise since I ain't the biggest fan of French Cinema. I think that we had agreed on this in the past : the French are unable to do good horror (Jean Rollin being the only exception, but his movies are exactly my genre). The French horror movies most of the time tend to drag and drag never getting to the point (thinking of it most of their cinema are like that). For me they are probably the least interesting movie producers country in Europe (but the Polish black and white borefest aren't too far from them). I've read the interview and it looks like the usual over the top Troma stuff, not that I don't like a Troma movie occasionally but not too often. But this line had made me laugh coming from their lab and knowing how bad is the quality of some of their release : ""Mr. Pellissier, we're sorry but we can't sell a movie worth 2/5, so try sending us a better master".

Najemikon

« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »
Well, from what I saw, "cinema" (French or otherwise) really doesn't come into it with this guy! The piece claimed he insists on using real pigs blood and intestines and the results are not going to bother any serious distributor to the point he could claim to be contributing to the local culture... basically it's his home videos... :P

I can't find him on IMDB, and they even have Uwe Boll! :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

Genre: Musical
Director: Norman Jewison
Rating: G
Length: 1h47
Audio: English & French
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

Stars:
Ted Neeley
Carl Anderson
Yvonne Elliman   
Barry Dennen
Bob Bingham

Plot:
This dazzling interpretation of the hit Tim Rice – Andrew Lloyd Webber rock opera tells the story of Christ's (Ted Neeley) final weeks in a bold and epic production. Shot entirely on location in Israel, producer-director Norman Jewison creates a brilliant example of modern movie making with groundbreaking vision and the unforgettable songs of Rice and Webber. Nominated for several Golden Globe Awards including Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Actress, this legendary classic is now a must-have Special Edition

My Thoughts:
I agree I cheat a little, since this isn't an unknown movie at all but it's been a long time since I've reviewed a film here. I've appreciated this one a lot more than anticipated, I was "traumatized" as a young child with the broadcasting of another version of the Christ story every year here. The music is really good, in fact I listen the movie again while I write this. All the performers had great voices, but Carl Anderson who plays Judas and Yvonne Elliman who plays Mary Magdalene (she's quite beautifull also) are above the rest. The idea of filming the movie in the Israel desert is a real good one since the scenery is astounding. Love the fact that the story is tell from the point of view of Judas since we are able to understand his reasonning for the treason he will do later (hope that I haven't spoil the end of the story for anyone ::)). An interesting fact, at least for me, this movie is the first one of Paul Thomas who will became a couple of years later one of the best actor in the adult movies I love so much. One thing that was puzzling me while watching is the fact that we don't see Mary at all, but finally I've understand at the end... Tim Rice who had written the opera is British and they don't believe in the Immaculate Conception like us the Roman Catholics :slaphead:

Really there isn't a part of this movie that I haven't like. A sure recommandation for everyone except Pete :tease:    

Rating :
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:40:26 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #281 on: July 18, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I like this movie, but I love the 2000 stage version.

Najemikon

« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Jimmy, have you heard of Rubber Johnny, by Chris Cunningham? It's bloody weird. There's a six-minute short online. Not sure if there are any longer versions. Enjoy!  :P

Rubber Johnny

Info...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 27, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Wonderland (2003)

Genre: Real Crime Story
Director: James Cox
Rating: R
Length: 1h44
Subtitles: English & Spanish

Stars:
Val Kilmer
Kate Bosworth
Lisa Kudrow   
Josh Lucas
Dylan McDermott

Plot:
On the afternoon of July 1, 1981, Los Angeles police responded to a distress call at 8763 Wonderland Avenue and discovered a grisly quadruple homicide. The police investigation that followed uncovered two versions of the events leading up to the brutal murders - both involving legendary porn actor John Holmes. You're about to experience both versions.

My Thoughts:
This film is a perfect exemple of a movie that didn't get the success it deserve. Because what we have here is for me the best American movie made in the last 10 years. Sure the shaky cam and the mtv editing is present but that was used for a reason (pass a lot of information fast and get the confusing mood of the persons involved in the events), so I can tolerate them. The director and the script writer had done their work to get the story straight something that we aren't used too anymore (for an exemple of lazy works full of errors just watch Boogie Nights, a real piece of crap). Val Kilmer is perfect in his interpretation of John Holmes (who can honestly say that he was sure that Nick Rivers would had a career that big), in fact nobody is a weak link in the cast. The soundtrack is awesome, full of seventies rock hits and all the songs are well used when they are (the opening credit using Shooting Star from Bad Company is a perfect exemple of a song well used). Contrary to many recent movies this one isn't sanitized for the teenagers. It's violent, it's bloody, it's dirty and it's perfectly how a crime story must be done.

If you have never seen this one it's time to give it the chance it didn't had when it was originally released.    

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2009, 05:39:24 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Run Angel Run (1969)

Genre: Biker Movie
Director: Jack Starrett
Rating: Unrated
Length: 1h35

Stars:
William Smith
Valerie Starrett
Gene Shane
Lee de Broux
Paul Harper

Plot:
Angel (William Smith), a member of a notorious and violent motorcycle gang, gets an offer from a major news magazine. $10,000 in exchange for exposing the secret inner workings of his leather-clad brethren. Angel takes the offer, although it means betraying a coven of outlaw bikers and risking his life!

My Thoughts:
Time to get back to the roots of this topic that is the little known genre film. The one I've choose today is a biker flick a genre who got its start in 19641 with a British film (The Leather Boys) and was a popular drive-in genre untill 1976 with Northville Cemetery Massacre. Most of those movies were build in the same mold : the live free spirit, the violent action and the heavy drinking. The one reviewed here is a little bit different of the usual biker movie. Before talking of the film I'll named some of the people involved since many of those name are familliar for many. First the director Jack Starrett was in The Gay Deceivers, Blazing Saddles, First Blood and Nightwish (a 1989 horror film that Pete had maybe seen). William Smith the title character continue to work today in the industry and you probably know him for Conan the Barbarian, Red Dawn, Laredo (Roger certainly know this western TV serie) and many other TV shows. Lee de Broux start a long serie of TV role after this film and he was in Pumpkinhead and Robocop. Finally it was the first movie of Margaret Markov who didn't had a long career (only 5 years) but it was enough to establish her cult actress status with movie like Pretty Maids All in a Row, The Arena, Black Mama, White Mama and The Hot Box. Finally the theme song is sing by Tammy Wynette.    

Like I've said in the beginning this is a different kind of biker flick, sure it countains the long moto driving sequence but not the usual violence attach to this genre (untill the very end when finally it happens2). In fact this is more a drama, I could even say that it's a chick movie since the character who had most of the control in this film is the girlfriend of Angel played by Valerie Starrett that maybe some of you know for her role in General Hospital. It doesn't mean that the film is bad because it is different, since in fact I like it. The movie lie entirely on the shoulders of Smith and Starrett since the central plot of the film is their couple relation, a job that they have achieve with no problem.

I sure recommand this one, since it's a good introduction to the genre if the violent biker film like Hell's Angels 69, Hell's Bloody Devils or Born Losers aren't your bag of tea.

Rating :

1. I've voluntarily written off The Wild One (1953) since it didn't bring a lot of immediate follow up.
2. A 17 years old teenager (Markov) is raped by the four bikers searching Angel, an important moment for the movie conclusion.