Author Topic: Clean and Sober  (Read 3288 times)

Dr. Hasslein

Clean and Sober
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
Clean and Sober

Director: Glenn Gordon Caron
Year: 1988
Running Time: 124 Minutes
Rated: M
Genre: Drama

Plot
Michael Keaton is Daryl Poynter, a hot shot real estate broker with a cocaine and drinking problem. After waking up one morning to find a woman dead in his bed who he had been partying with the night before and a phone call from a fellow employee informing him of a significant sum of money missing from his accounts, so a now nervous and agitated Daryl decides to check into a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center to hide from the authorities and his employer. In rehab he meets former addict turned no nonsense drug counselor Craig, played by Morgan Freeman. It is then when Daryl soon discovers that this really might just be the place for him.

My Thoughts
I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. Having always been fairly familiar with Michael Keaton’s work I had never heard of this particular title. To watch this man hit hot rock bottom at the absolute depth personal of despair to then slowly put his life back together with the support of those around him I found to be quite inspirational. The character is so well written that even n the worst moment of his behavior I still found him to be a likable guy with a larger than life personality. Like most addicts he knows has big problem but simply does not want to face it. Without being too preachy this is an impressive hard hitting drama that’s well paced and deals with the issue of overcoming demons within one’s self one day at a time.

DVD Details
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Full Frame Transfer
Audio: Dolby Digital
Region: 4 PAL (Australia)

Special Features
  • Interactive Menues
  • Scene Access

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:08:43 PM by Dr. Hasslein »

Critter

Re: Clean ans Sober
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
Are you sure you were quite sober when you typed out the title of this thread?  :laugh: 'Clean ans Sober'?

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Clean and Sober
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out.  :)
A comment would have been greatly appreciated to ya know  ;)

Critter

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
What do you mean? A comment on the review? I've never even heard of the film, the only word that stuck out to me was that it's the guy from Beetlejuice which I love. Aside from that I'm afraid to say there's not much I can say about this one.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
That's alright. What do you think of how the review was written?
I've written some reviews before but this time I really want to make a go of it. I've written three in three days, that's a first for me.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
I think it is well written, but really in a place like this there's no standard to compare it to. Everyone has their own style of reviewing and you can really do what you want. I don't really dislike anyones style of review here, I just enjoy seeing so many different ones.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
I agree with Sophie. I enjoy the different styles of reviewing so don't try and write any way except what comes naturally.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
Thank you ladies.  :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:41:27 AM »
It's the same as with professional reviews, where you ought to read a few and get to know what the author likes/dislikes, before you actually can follow their recommendations...