Author Topic: Miracle on 34th Street (1947)  (Read 4222 times)

Dr. Hasslein

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Director:
George Seaton
Year: 1947
Running Time: 92 Minutes
Rating: G
Studio: 20th Century Fox

Stars
Maureen O'Hare
John Payne
Edmund Gwenn
Gene Lockhart
Natalie Wood

Plot
Edmund Gwenn is Kris Kringle; a nice old man who has been hired as the Macy’s Department Store Santa. When he claims to be the real Santa the store have him institutionalized as insane. However a young up and coming lawyer decides to defend him and prove in a court that he is indeed just who he says he is.

My Thoughts
This movie has appeared on many lists of the greatest all time Christmas movies so I was eager to find out if it was as good as people had said. Indeed it was. To put it quite simply this is a nice little movie. Edmund Gwenn’s is marvelous as the charming and kind hearted Kris Kringle; whose presence lights up the screen. Natalie Wood is absolutely adorable as little Susan Walker. Such a talented actress at only ten years of age is truly remarkable. The movie does a great job of really capturing the essence of the era in which it was filmed; a time when thing were simple and much more care free. Overall this is a wonderful movie to watch with family and friends over the holiday season.

DVD Details
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Region: 4 PAL (Australia)

Special Features:
  • Colourised Version
  • Movietone News
  • Hollywood Spotlight
  • Promotional Short
  • Poster Galley

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:13:17 PM by Dr. Hasslein »

hal9g

Re: Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
This and It's a Wonderful Life are two absolute must watches for me every year at Christmas time.  I think this movie is just wonderful!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
This and It's a Wonderful Life are two absolute must watches for me every year at Christmas time.

Don't forget A Christmas Carol (1951) with Alastair Sims.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
This and It's a Wonderful Life are two absolute must watches for me every year at Christmas time.  I think this movie is just wonderful!

Totally agree. I watched it straight after I watched Miracle on 34th Street.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:28:36 PM »
I had a brief look at the colourised version. It looks good and picture is very sharp, but it still doesn't look very natural. It's very obvious that's been colourised.

hal9g

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:44:20 AM »
This and It's a Wonderful Life are two absolute must watches for me every year at Christmas time.

Don't forget A Christmas Carol (1951) with Alastair Sims.

Yikes....how could I have forgotten that one!   Blasphemy!

You are of course, correct!

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:30:51 AM »
There are too many Christmas movies to watch. Maybe when I'm as old as you Hal I will have seen all the classics. :laugh:

hal9g

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
There are too many Christmas movies to watch. Maybe when I'm as old as you Hal I will have seen all the classics. :laugh:

When you're as old as me, there will be a lot more classics that you'll have to watch, you whippersnapper!!!   :hysterical:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:48:29 AM »
That's very possible, but judging my standard of movies these days I personally doubt that there will be many more.

hal9g

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:50:41 AM »
That's very possible, but judging my standard of movies these days I personally doubt that there will be many more.

Actually, judging the quality of movies being produced these days, I fear you may be right.

Then again, It's a Wonderful Life was a relative flop when it came out!

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:54 AM »
Then again, It's a Wonderful Life was a relative flop when it came out!

That's true, but the flops of today will always be considered as flops.