Author Topic: Are You Afraid of the Dark? marathon!!  (Read 31057 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? marathon!!
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »

25) The Tale of the Hatching
Two siblings are sent to a boarding school where the students are brainwashed into caring for mutant reptiles' eggs, who are bent on world domination.

My Thoughts:

As it turns out, these guys are a race that neared extinction, but to me it definitely had an alien feel to it, doesn't it? Remember a few posts back where I was complaining the 13th Floor was too colorful for an alien show? Yup! This is more like it! Eggs hatching at the school, mind-control in the desserts, scales and slime - yup! This is an ideal alien show in my book, even if they are just monsters. ;)

I just wish you get to see them in full form...

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »

26) The Tale of Old Man Corcoran
Two brothers join a group that plays hide and seek in a graveyard that is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of the old caretaker.

My Thoughts:

Very creepy ghost tale. Nice graveyard setting, a crazy groundskeeper and a story that sends chills down your spine when you hear a harmonica! I just think its stupid of the kids to actually go back there a second time. All over a game of hide and seek....

My Rating:
Out of 5

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »

27) The Tale of the Midnight Ride
A boy moves to Sleepy Hollow, where he learns the truth about—and comes face-to-faceless with—The Headless Horseman.

My Thoughts:

First off, two cast members left, so Gary's brother takes over in a spot to tell a modern case of the Headless Horseman.

I remember the old legend and the love triangle is very similar. Points for accuracy. But, c'mon. Is that guy really gonna believe everyone at the dance stole the Headless Horseman's pumpkin? That's just stupid.. Although, it is a fair modern story on an old ghostly legend. Very enjoyable!

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »

28) The Tale of Apartment 214
A girl befriends an old woman who died on the day someone promised to be with her, but never came. History repeats itself when the girl breaks her promise to the old lady and is haunted by her angry spirit.

My Thoughts:

Another ghost story. (I must be getting lucky, right? ;D )

A story of friendship and a broken promise. Pretty moving, really. When I watch this, I can't help but think of my grandmother. The ghost was so upset when the girl wasn't there on the anniversary of her death. A very scary/relatable episode.

My Rating:
Out of 5

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 01:11:20 AM »

29) The Tale of Watcher's Woods
In 1919, three campers got lost in Watcher's Woods and vanished, leaving behind their whistles. Decades later, two girls are paired together for a summer camp hike—and find themselves in Watcher's Woods where they encounter three witches who used to be the lost girls.

My Thoughts:

Some woods where people never return from. Nice campfire story. I have to admit, some of the effects are pretty cool, like a face in a tree and the old women. Definitely creepy and a good introduction to yet another new member of the cast, Sam

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 01:15:52 AM »

30) The Tale of the Phone Police
Two prank phone callers get hunted down by a vigilante group who capture and erase the existence of anyone who mistreats the phone.

My Thoughts:

Ok, at the begining I caught a glimpse of the 90s cell phone. Yikes! Times have changed! Here I was wondering why they don't show this on Nickelodeon anymore, but I guess it's been longer than I thought!

So, police who arrest you when you misuse the phone ... a real cheesy concept, but done well. I especially admired the rescue scene.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 01:19:26 AM »

31) The Tale of the Dollmaker
A girl who is distraught over the disappearance of her friend finds a mysterious doll house whose front door matches one she uncovers behind wallpaper in the attic. Through the door, she finds her missing friend who is slowly turning into a china doll.

My Thoughts:

An odd story. I personally always hated dolls, especiually ones with glass eyes. Always felt like they were watching me. My "dolls are trouble" theory is proved here! The doll make-up, as usual, iss also impressive here. Good episode all in all.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 02:31:50 AM »

32) The Tale of the Bookish Babysitter
A TV-obsessed boy is left with a babysitter who teaches the child the wonders of reading—by using magic to take him inside the stories.

My Thoughts:

I look here and see a new Nanny McPhee with a thing for magic books. She's definitely a clever babysitter. Funny I should see this after reading another book myself.

This is a really fun episode. Mixing knioghts and ghosts? An unusual but interesting combo!

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:37 AM »

33) The Tale of the Carved Stone
A new girl in town, desperately trying to find friends, buys a stone from Sardo's magic shop that takes her back in time to the 1890s, where she meets another lonely youth who lived in her family's new home.

My Thoughts:

Uh-oh. Sardo is back!! Not bad, a story about a magic charm. The time travel was interesting, and leave it to Sardo to provide comic relief! I think a major oppertunity was missed, though. How about Alison gaining magic powers from the stone? Anything can happen with magic, after all. Still pretty good, though.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 02:44:19 AM »

34) The Tale of the Guardian's Curse
Two kids accidentally resurrect a mummified Egyptian queen at their father's museum.

My Thoughts:

I remember how much I loved studying mummies and Egypt in 6th grade. Some of the legends, not to mention the torture devices, slavery, and mummification process was positively gruesome!!

As far as the episode itself, your basic mummy story twisted with the symbol of life and the ring of eternity. Very interesting. A twist at the end brightens the mood and gets a laugh or two!!

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »
Ok, I've been away for a while, and I'm gonna have about 21 more reviews coming at ya!

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »

35) The Tale of the Curious Camera
A boy receives a camera that predicts misfortune for anything and anyone photographed by it.

My Thoughts:

A camera that makes bad things happen. I remember a similar episode from Goosebumps. I appreciate the efforts of revenge, because watching "Say Cheese and Die" all the kid tries to do is reverse the effects.

Also, great idea with the Gremlin photos. I always loved the gremlins. The end was fun, but now I feel the evil camera was done so many times before, a little boring.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »

36) The Tale of the Dream Girl
A teen named Johnny discovers a ring and after putting it on, begins seeing a girl that he falls in love with. He soon learns though she died in a car accident.

My Thoughts:

A ghost story. You'd think that by now I'd be sick of these, but this is a real cool story of high school love. Although the end twist I think is highly predictable, the show itself was very enjoyable.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »

37) The Tale of the Quicksilver

A story about two boys haunted by an evil spirit and a girl who died trying to ward him off.

My Thoughts:

A quicksilver, pretty similar to a poltergeist. Casting spells always interested me, I'll admit. The story show how not knowing what to do can turn your magic against you. In other words, if you're gonna do magic, do it right!! Very entertaining.

My Rating:
Out of 5

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »

38) The Tale of the Crimson Clown
A young bratty boy learns a lesson when an evil clown doll comes to life and starts to terrorize him.

My Thoughts:

No one make any jokes. I'm serious. A doll that is a clown. *shivers* Creepy.

I like the idea of a little punk getting what's coming to him, but the clown thing is just cruel. I would also like to point out an excellent call-back. A "Zeebo's Big House" dvd, obviously referring to Episode 2, "The Tale of Laughing in the Dark". The ending, however, is reminescent of "The Christmas Carol" .... but with a clown.

My Rating
Out of 5