Author Topic: Jimmy's 2010 Horror Marathon  (Read 16559 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Jimmy's 2010 Horror Marathon
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:13:32 AM »

For the third years it's the time for my annual horror marathon ;D
This year I choose to watch anything I will feel like at the moment. It will be anything from classic horror to drive-in horror to DTDVD, so I think the variety will make it interesting (at least I hope) :whistle:

Last year I watched 52 movies, so the target for 2010 is to beat this number and I think it will be easy :whistle:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy's 2010 Horror Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »

Title : Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

Overview
Something evil is happening in the sleepy fishing village of Noyo. Fishlike humanoid creatures, spawned by mutant DNA, begin rising from the ocean looking to mate with the local women. Scientist Susan Drake (Ann Turkel) along with local fisherman Jim Hill (Doug McClure, The Land That Time Forgot) seek to investigate the cause of this invasion of creatures from the ocean floor. But when the annual Salmon Festival begins, some unwanted guests are about to crash the festivities. Also starring Vic Morrow (Message From Space), Cindy Weintraub (The Prowler) and Denise Galik (Dont Answer The Phone).

My Impression
It's great when you expect a lot from a movie and it delivers what you expect. The movie sure doesn't loose time to start the action, seriously not 10 minutes past and you get the first attack, a boat explosion, 4 people killed and a dog killed... and it's like that for all its length :clap:

It delivers at all the front : great little monster movie, good special effects, lots of explosions, many jump scare, good acting (with the exception of Ann Turkell who isn't that great), many great looking girls victims of the monsters, a really weird scene with a ventriloquist dummy and even an open ending for a sequel.

Really a good one to start with :clap:

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:25:51 AM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:09:26 AM »
 :laugh:

Itching a bit are we? Still 4(3) days away, and the first movie watched is already chosen? Is it already out of its case too?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:19:38 AM »
I know I want to see it first since I got it. It's The Creature from the Black Lagoon with an horny twist... Hard to resist thing like that when you are named Jimmy :devil:

I've 16 movies not watched yet not too far from my computer, but they are always in their cases :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:47:16 AM »
Looks like someone is getting anxious...perhaps more anxious than Pete.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:35:14 AM »
Pete did it yesterday :whistle:
But he haven't choose his first movie yet ;D

And yes I'm anxious to start, I can't wait to watch the Shout! Factory dvds I got this summer :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:42:04 AM »
Which is why I suggested you are more anxious...you've got the first one all picked out. 

I have some stuff I've held off watching too..though no idea what I'll start with.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 04:48:25 AM »
I would suggest New Moon, but you watched it already :P
Unless it worths a second viewing :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
That actually was the second viewing...and it wasn't my choice.  A friend wanted to watch it.

Bella is still an idiot who mopes too much.   :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »
Great so see the excitement going. It's less than 72 hours now :thumbsup:

Humanoids from the Deep arrived here recently too and it might be a good film to watch on Friday... :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »
Which is why I suggested you are more anxious...you've got the first one all picked out. 

I have some stuff I've held off watching too..though no idea what I'll start with.

:laugh: I usually choose the movies I want to watch moments before watching them... as my moods change quite quickly I could be in the mood for one thing the night before.... but when I get up to start watching I am in the mood for something totally different.

Who knows I could wake up on the 1st and not even be in the mood for horror!  :tease:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »
As if you will wake up the first :whistle:
We know that you will sleep tuesday night and wake up just before midnight to watch your first movie :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »
 :laugh: No Comment!  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:51:35 AM »

Title : Deranged (1974)

Overview
A man living in rural Wisconsin takes care of his bed-ridden mother, who is very domineering and teaches him that all women are evil. After she dies he misses her, so a year later he digs her up and takes her home. He learns about taxidermy and begins robbing graves to get materials to patch her up, and inevitably begins looking for fresher sources of materials.

My Impression
By the synopsis I think you see that it's a movie based on the crime of Ed Gein and not the only one since Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho are also, but it was considered a long time for the most realist. The version I own is a bootleg because the dvd released by MGM in their Midnite Movies collection is cut and I can't stand butchered film. This film isn't too bad and even better it's a canadian production. Of course what make this film so good is the performance of Roberts Blossom in the title role, he sure show how Ed Gein was able to act in society and look like a nice but slow man. The other positive point is the dark presentation; nothing is beautifull here the sun doesn't shine and the movie print is dirty (as it is supposed to be). A journalist (kind of a narator) appear 3 or 4 times to explain the events and this is a little different but annoying.

Another good one.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »

Title : Primal Rage (1988)

Overview
This blood-soaked, stomach-churningly gory Italian horror outing is set on a college campus in Miami and chronicles the grisly aftermath that occurs when a student is bitten by a lab animal and turns into a voracious, man-killing beast! Will the fun loving campus in Florida turn into a blood bath? Will the campus concert turn into a massacre of the macabre?

My Impression
It's an italian movie so we know what to expect, a lot of blood and nice make-up effect. Right from the start we see that it will deal with medical experiment done with monkey lab and we know that it isn't a thing who usually end well. Of course it won't since the monkey escapes and the virus it carry with him... Well done movie where the students look loke student (wich is sure a rare thing in movies), as expected the special effects are well done and it doesn't silly since the film was made in english so it isn't dub. Wich doesn't mean that the acting is great in any ways (a lot of overacting and bad acting, but it goes with the territory) and check for a young Sarah Buxton who is quite hot in this (at least at the beginning :whistle:). This film sure had the most annoying theme song ever written and to make it even worst the song play three times...

Another good one.

Rating :