Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 155105 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
Title: Tremors 2: Aftershocks
Year: 1996
Director: S. S. Wilson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Fred Ward
Christopher Gartin
Helen Shaver
Michael Gross
Marcelo Tubert
Marco Hernandez

Plot:
They're back! The giant underground creatures that terrorized a desert town in Tremors are now plowing their way through Mexican oil fields, gobbling up everything and everyone around–and only one man can stop them! In the style of its predecessor, this comedy sci-fi creature feature reunites Fred Ward as down-on-his-luck Earl Basset and Michael Gross as gung-ho survivalist Burt Gummer, two desert desperadoes who take on the task of destroying the monsters. Partnered with them is Christopher Gartin, a young guy in need of kicks, cash, and a career change, and Helen Shaver, a sexy and intrepid scientist who's seen it all...until now. Together they devise an ingenious plan for tracking and killing the creatures. Tremors 2 is filled with high speed action and plenty of laughs–until the predators wise up.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
In this part we had both "Graboids" (worm-like Creatures) and Shriekers (Heat Seeking little Creatures). This movie was just a fun sequel to the first one. And something that I can only seldomly ever says... I think this one was just as good as the first one. Was a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately this one didn't have even nearly the amount of extras the first one had.. though it did have a couple things. If you liked the first one I am pretty certain you will like this one as well.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 43
TV Ep. Count: 17
Other Count: 2
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
Title: Rock & Roll Frankenstein
Year: 1998
Director: Brian O'Hara
Rating: R
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Graig Guggenheim
Jayson Spence
Barry Feterman
Hiram Jacob Segarra
Andrew Hurley
Ted Travelstead

Plot:
A greedy music agent in desperate need of a chart-topping act turns to his nephew Frankie for help. Frankie Stein is a brilliant scientist with a macbre attraction to all things deceased, and he has created a serum that can reanimate dead tissue. With the help of a grave-robbing roadie, Frankie builds a ghoulish superstar from the body parts of legendary rockers including Hendrix, Holly, Vicious, and Morrison. But a certain appendage ends up in the re-assembled mix of organs and limbs, and it leads to a schizophrenic meltdown of the rock'n'roll monster that is utterly hilarious and down-right horrifying. And sure enough, people must die...Long Dead Rock & Roll!

Extras:
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
When this movie was first offered to be given to me I thought this is one that there is no way I would enjoy... and wasn't going to take it. But there was just something about it... I kept going back to it in the offered list of movies. Kinda like riding past an accident... you can't help but to look... I just knew I had to see this one for myself for some strange reason.

I can't believe it... but I sat through this entire movie. The acting was terrible. The effects laughable. The writing atrocious... not to mention right boring. This one ranks down there with some of the worst movies I ever seen. Despite that there was a couple things here I couldn't help but to chuckle at... and I guess that is worth a little something.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 44
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
I'm so glad you watched it just because I enjoyed your commentary so much!  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I guess the review was more entertaining then the movie was!   :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
If you want another really horrible movie dealing with a singer, see Rhinestone where Dolly Parton tries to turn Sylvester Stallone into a country singer!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2010, 10:18:40 PM »
If it is all the same to you Roger... I think I won't.  :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »
Anyone have a copy to send to Pete? He DID promise to watch any movie sent to him!  :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
Thank you very much Kathy... I really appreciate that reminder!  :thumbdown: :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2010, 12:15:40 AM »
Title: From Within: After Dark Horrorfest III
Year: 2008
Director: Phedon Papamichael
Rating: R
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Elizabeth Rice
Thomas Dekker
Kelly Blatz
Laura Allen
Adam Goldberg
Margo Harshman

Plot:
A rash of suicides has devastated the small community of Grovetown, with fear and panic spreading among the local residents. As those around 18-year-old Lindsay continue to die grisly deaths, she begins to distrust everyone...and suspects she may be the next victim.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Miss Horrorfest Webisodes

My Thoughts:
This one is pretty good... I enjoyed it but I have seen better. It has an interesting storyline. But I did have to struggle a little to give it my full attention. Effects wise... there really wasn't anything here I haven't seen before. But over all not a bad way to waste an hour and a half.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 45
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2010, 02:20:29 AM »
Title: Tremors 3: Back To Perfection
Year: 2001
Director: Brent Maddock
Rating: PG
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Michael Gross
Shawn Christian
Susan Chuang
Charlotte Stewart
Ariana Richards
Tony Genaro

Plot:
Those morphing, man-eating monsters are shaking things up again in the dusty little town of Perfection, Nevada - and durvivalist Burt Gummer (Michael Gross) is the only soution to the latest evolution! Aided by a couple of young entrepreneurs (Shawn Christian and Susan Chang), Burt pits his impressive knowledge of weaponry against the newest and dealiest generation of Graboids. If Burt and his new partners can't find a way to stop them, then the creatures that put Perfection on the map will wipe it right off the face of the earth. Tremors 3 promises earth-shaking, explosive, edge-of-your-seat entertainment!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
In this one we get to see a new mutation again... this time it goes from Graboid (worm-like creature) to Shrieker (heat seeking creature) to Ass-Blaster (flying shrieker). While I still enjoyed this one for what it is... it has gone downhill. Each movie in this franchise got sillier.... but it still manages to entertain. for me this one is slightly above average.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 46
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
Title: The Phantom
Year: 1931
Director: Alvin J. Neitz
Rating: NR
Length: 61 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Guinn Williams
Allene Ray
Niles Welch
Tom O'Brien (1890)
Sheldon Lewis
Wilfred Lucas

Plot:
An escaped convict has been terrorizing the community, threatening the District Attorney and the police with revenge for his incarceration. A newspaper reporter covering the story and the District Attorney's daughter team up to track down this mysterious criminal, "The Phantom". As their leads bring them closer to the criminal's hideout, the danger grows with each step!

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a movie from the Horror Classics: 100 Movie Pack. Though I must admit not sure why this one is in there. It didn't feel much like a horror movie to me. Maybe a crime story... with a touch of mystery thrown in. But nothing that I personally think of as horror. But apparently someone does as it is in this set. The quality of this movie leaves much to be desired. The image is much below par... really soft picture with lots of dust and scratches and such. The audio is not much better with a slight static sound throughout the movie. The movie itself is ok... but nothing to get excited about. The acting leaves some to be desired... and the comic relief (the maid and the Chauffeur) are not that funny. The very best I could say about this one is no more then an average movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 47
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »
100 Years of Horror: The Complete Collection
This frightfully fascinating five-DVD set chronicles the history of movie horror from earliest experimental chillers through the unforgettable "golden age of movie monsters" and on through today's graphic horror films in 26 horrific, half-hour shows. Hosted by Christopher Lee, the screen's legendary King of Horror, the series features appearances by Robert De Niro, Jamie Lee Curtis, Hugh Hefner, Charlton Heston, Kenneth Branagh, Joe Dante, and many more.

Also featured are rare interviews with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Claude Rains. Included as a special bonus are never-before-seen interviews with the friends and families of the legendary names of horror such as Bela Lugosi, Jr.; Boris Karloff's daughter, Sarah Karloff; Claude Rains' daughter, Jessica Rains, and more.

The collection also includes chilling scenes from such classics as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well as more recent chillers such as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Halloween, Poltergeist and The Haunting. Plus home movies from the sets of horror classics, outtakes, screen tests, previously "lost" films, and other exciting surprises. Easily the most interesting and informative horror chronology ever assembled.

Short Watched:
Phantoms
Lon Chaney, Sr. was the original Phantom of the Opera, but there have been other notable portrayals - and other notable phantoms!

My Thoughts:
This short (24min) not only covers the Phantoms... I guess there wasn't enough to talk about for the entire time or maybe this a type of phantom... but it also includes the Invisible Man movies. But it seems to me at least that it should be two different things. Either way it showed me a few old movies I would like to check out. At the same time showed me a couple I plan on staying away from.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 47
Other Count: 3
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
Title: Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
Year: 2004
Director: S. S. Wilson
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Michael Gross
Sara Botsford
Billy Drago
Brent Roam
August Schellenberg
J. E. Freeman

Plot:
When workers in the remote mining town of Rejection, Nevada, fall victim to an unseen predator, the mines owner, Hiram Gummer [Michael Gross], great-grandfather to Tremors' Burt Gummer, hires a mercenary to destroy the carnivorous creatures before they swallow up his profits. What follows is an all-out assault that takes the battleground from deep in the earth to a suspense-filled showdown in the streets of Rejection!

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins will thrill you with incredible action sequences, awesome bonus features and earthshaking special effects created by the award-winning team behind the original box-office hit, Tremors.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
S.S. Wilson's student film "Recorded Live"

My Thoughts:
OK... what we have here is a mixture of Western and Horror... something I haven't see too often. I definitely enjoyed it... definitely better then I did part 3. I would say the first half hour was a bit on the slow side. Even though I didn't watch many of them... there is a nice amount of extras on this release. In this movie you only get to see the graboid version of the creatures... of course in this movie they call them something different since the name graboid was thought of in the first movie... in this one they call the creature Dirt Dragons. The hired gun in this movie is played by Billy Drago... who I like a lot... ever since I first say him play the Demon of Fear in several episodes of Charmed.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 48
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »
Title: Poltergeist
Year: 1982
Director: Tobe Hooper
Rating: PG
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Craig T. Nelson
JoBeth Williams
Beatrice Straight
Dominique Dunne
Oliver Robins
Heather O'Rourke

Plot:
"They're here." And they seem almost whimsical at first, playing stack-the-chair games in the kitchen of the Freelings' suburban home. Then things turn darker. A storm erupts, a tree attacks, little Carol Anne Freeling is whisked into a spectral void. And as her family confronts a chain reaction of horrors and fights to bring the youngster back, something else is here too: a new benchmark in Hollywood ghost stories.

Producers Steven Spielberg and Frank Marshall and director Tobe Hooper head the elite scream team of this spooktacular whose nerve-jangling effects include floating phantasms, the fiercest monster ever to pop out of a closet and an entire house collapsing into nothingness. Welcome to Home Sweet Haunted Home.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this one is quite some time. While the movie does have a bit of a slow start... it definitely makes up for it with a great story. The haunting starts pretty mild... moving things around and such much to the enjoyment and entertainment of the mother. But before you know it things takes a turn for the worse. It has been so long since I watched this one that I forgot how good it is. I enjoyed every minute of watching this one again. If by any chance you have not seen this movie before... I highly recommend it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 49
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
Title: Poltergeist II: The Other Side
Year: 1986
Director: Brian Gibson
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
JoBeth Williams
Craig T. Nelson
Heather O'Rourke
Oliver Robins
Zelda Rubinstein
Will Sampson

Plot:
The sinister supernatural forces return in this heart-pounding otherworldly thriller filled with "jolting, state-of-the-art special effects" (Leonard Maltin). The Freeling family (JoBeth Williams, Craig T. Nelson, Heather O'Rourke) settles into a new home following the annihilation of their former residence by terrifying visitors from the netherworld. But the spirits of the dead are still hell-bent on luring the family's clairvoyant daughter Carol Anne to "the other side"!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While I still enjoyed this one quite a bit... it isn't as good as the first one. But I feel it is better then some of the reviews I have read for this movie. I kinda liked the character of Taylor... as he not only brought an interesting aspect to the story but he also gave us a touch of comic relief. I couldn't help but to laugh at the whole thing he had about Steve's car. I felt there is some strong performances by the cast and I got a kick out of some of the effects... especially the braces scene. I hope I am not alone here in thinking this is an enjoyable sequel.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 50
Pete