Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 155841 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
- 2001 Maniacs
It's a lousy remake again, why not try to buy the original who was so great and don't give a dollar for that kind of crap? I think I'll go with the blood trilogy (Blood Feast, 2000 Maniacs and Colour Me Blood Red) after the Friday the 13th movies (it's sure long to watch a 10 movies franchise),

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »
I think you are a bit confused Jimmy... those listed are ones I was asking if any good that is on Cable. They are all free on On Demand. So wouldn't cost me a cent to watch them. :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
Didn't know that you were able to get "recent" release free on demand... Do they put publicity spot while you watch or watermarks? BTW if it's the movie I think it is The Stepfather is the better one in the list you gave. Night of the Creeps from what I've read isn't too bad either (I can't remember if I've seen it or not, because I've seen a lot of those films in french originally)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
Well free in the sense that I don't have to pay extra for watching it (nothing like Pay-per-view)... though I do of course pay to have my cable. :P And of course pay so much a month for a few premium channels. (Starz. HBO, Cinemax,Showtime)

Depends on what section of On Demand I go to... if I go to one of the premium channels I have (ie Starz, HBO, Showtime) there is nothing... just like watching it on the channel. But if I go to the FearNET section... they tend to do the publicity spots and watermarks, bugs and such.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
Title: Dark Water: Unrated Widescreen Edition
Year: 2005
Director: Walter Salles
Rating: Unrated
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jennifer Connelly
John C. Reilly
Tim Roth
Dougray Scott
Pete Postlethwaite
Camryn Manheim

Plot:
Far more terrifying than what was seen in theaters, this special unrated version of Dark Water is a thoroughly absorbing, suspense-filled thriller starring Jennifer Connelly. Dahlia Williams (Connelly) and her five-year-old daughter are ready to begin a new life together. But their new apartment — dilapidated and worn — suddenly seems to take on a life of its own. Mysterious noises, persistent leaks of dark water and other strange happenings in the deserted apartment above send Dahlia on a haunting and mystifying pursuit — one that unleashes a torrent of living nightmares.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one... while I enjoyed for what it is... it is not a bad movie... but I think it should have been better. I don't know... just while watching something seemed off about it. It didn't seem like it could pull off the scares. But it was enough to keep my attention... and keep me entertained.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 39
TV Ep. Count: 14
Other Count: 2
Time Started: 9:45am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Title: Dark Floors: Ghost House Underground
Year: 2008
Director: Pete Riski
Rating: R
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Mr. Lordi
Kita
Amen
Ox
Awa
Skye Bennett

Plot:
Sarah is a diseased little girl whose father is worried about her health. Concerned for her after a near-fatal accident with a hospital scanning device, the father decides to immediately remove his daughter from the institution. With his daughter and her freaky monster drawings in hand, he makes way for the nearest elevator, but it breaks down, trapping them with others. Yet the incident is only the beginning of a descent into a nightmare. As the elevator doors open, the hospital appears mysteriously deserted. When mutilated bodies are found, creatures from a dark world start a frightening attack. It soon becomes clear that the survival of the group may rest solely on the little girl.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Music Videos
Interviews

My Thoughts:
This one has it's moments... but it had a hard time keeping my attention. I think they could have done better with the introduction of the characters. The plot had great potential... but I feel it fell a bit short when it was all said and done.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 40
Time Started: 11:45am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »
Title: Pet Sematary: Special Collector's Edition
Year: 1989
Director: Mary Lambert
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Dale Midkiff
Fred Gwynne
Denise Crosby
Brad Greenquist
Michael Lombard
Miko Hughes

Plot:
After moving to an idyllic home in the countryside, life seems perfect for the Creed family... but not for long. Louis and Rachel Creed and their two young children settle in to a house that sits next door to a pet cemetery - built on ancient Indian burial ground. Their mysterious new neighbor, Jud Crandall (FRED GWYNNE), hides the cemetery's darkest secret... until a family tragedy brings the secret to life. Now, an unthinkable evil is about to be resurrected.

From STEPHEN KING, the Master of the Macabre, comes a journey that leads to hell and back. Though not everyone survives the trip. For the Creeds, home is where the horror is.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of my all time favorite horror movies. As with most of the Stephen King movies... Stephen King himself has a cameo in the movie. This time as the preacher at the funeral for Mrs. Dandridge... the woman that helped the creed family in the beginning of the movie. This movie is one of the few movies that can make me cringe when watching it. actually from 2 things in the movie. First when Jud gets the back of his ankle sliced... the next when he is sliced across both cheeks when he is screaming. Both those look extremely painful to me. I couldn't even imagine. Not to mention.. this is a true horror movie for any parent. It even effected me... I had a time watching this movie when my daughter was about Gage's age... especially considering I live on a road that has a high school just down the street... you would not believe the way kids race up and down this road! There for the longest time I wouldn't even let my daughter play in the front yard at all! Anyway... This is just an awesome horror movie! So I definitely highly recommend it if by chance you never seen it before.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 41
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
Is this the film where the truck comes barreling down the road and kills the toddler?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »
yup... that is the one.
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
Never seen it in its entirety. Funny, but I always seem to catch it on TV when that particular scene is on.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »
As you can tell I always enjoyed it. I upgraded to the special edition when it was released 4 years ago... and watched it 5 times since the upgrade... who knows how many times I seen it when I had the first version... an several times on VHS and cable. :P

I always liked Denise Crosby in it. And then there is Fred Gwynne... who played Herman Munster on The Munsters.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:53 AM »
Title: Fright Night
Year: 1985
Director: Tom Holland
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Chris Sarandon
William Ragsdale
Amanda Bearse
Roddy McDowall
Stephen Geoffreys
Jonathan Stark

Plot:
Meet Jerry Dandridge. He's sweet, sexy, and he likes to sleep in late. You might think he's the perfect neighbor. But before inviting Jerry in for a nightcap, there's just one thing you should know. Jerry prefers his drinks warm, red—and straight from the jugular! It's FRIGHT NIGHT, a horrific howl starring Chris Sarandon as the seductive vampire and William Ragsdale as the frantic teenager struggling to keep Jerry's deadly fangs out of his neck. Only 17-year-old Charley Brewster (Ragsdale) knows Jerry's bloodcurdling secret. When Charley can't get anybody to believe him, he turns to TV horror host Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), who used to be the "Great Vampire Killer" of the movies. Can these mortals save Charley and his sweetheart Amy (Amanda Bearse) from the wrathful bloodsucker's toothy embrace? If you love being scared, FRIGHT NIGHT will give you the nightmare of your life!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I had to watch this one... it is one of my favorite vampire movies. No it is not the scariest Vampire movie out there... but for some reason I think it is a lot of fun... and I never tire of it. Of course the fact that Roddy McDowall is in it is a help. Also Amanda Bearse (the neighbor in Married... With Children) is in it as well... looking rather young which is surprising since the movie is only 2 years older then the series is. I think Chris Sarandon did a good job at bringing the classic idea of the vampire to this movie. but at the same time thought Stephen Geoffreys (Evil Ed) did a great job for a fun vampire that gave us a few laughs. I must admit though... I have always been disappointed in Amanda Bearse's look as a vampire... first I didn't care for her with that long red wig on... then I despised the look of the "Monster" version of her Vampire. Oh well... the way I see it is if that is all I have to complain about... then so what... I will enjoy this movie for years to come.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 42
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »
The Hunger: The Complete First Season
Terence Stamp hosts the first season of this spine-tingling horror anthology series from Executive Producers Tony and Ridley Scott, which features a phenomenal cast of familiar faces as you've never seen them before. Inspired by leading genre writers, each episode will draw you into a mesmerizing world of terrifying characters and erotic encounters, where demons feed on the weaknesses of men and temptation consumes reason.

Episodes Watched:
Necros
When William Cobb arrives in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, he falls for a beautiful young woman who brings with her a strange old manas a companion. A night of passion reveals their true nature.

My Thoughts:
This one is an OK episode... Kind of slow paced. And I didn't care too much for the effects of the demon in the episode. And I found it a bit predictable as well... but it definitely had it's entertainment value.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

The Secret of Shih-Tan
The Shih-Tan is secret book of forbidden recipes and when a master chef gets the opportunity to read it and prepare one dish, he cannot resist.

My Thoughts:
This one I liked a lot. Very good story... well done. And an ending I wasn't expecting. One thing that makes this one especially good is that it is a horror that could possibly really happen. This one also has Jason Scott Lee playing the master chef.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Bridal Suite
A newly-married couple decides to spend their honeymoon at an isolated guest house that is rumored to be cursed. One night, the groom disappears, and the wife learns the truth.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. The familiar face in this one is Sally Kirkland... but the one that impressed me in this episode is the one that played the bride... her name is Karen Elkin.... who's name seems familiar to me... but 2 episodes of this show is all I have her in.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 42
TV Ep. Count: 17
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
Pete you had an insurmountable lead this year :whistle:
I already watched 34 movies at this day, I feel it's a lot but you make me feel lazy :laugh:

As if I wouldn't feel lazy enough because of my lack of review writing this year :-[

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:36 PM »
 :laugh: What can I say... if I have any chance of beating my highest totals one thing I can't be is lazy! I got to really work at it... and I still wonder if I even have a chance of watching over 100 movies this month!
Pete