Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 155090 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
Title: Critters 4: 4 Film Favorites
Year: 1991
Director: Rupert Harvey
Rating: PG-13
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Don Keith Opper
Terrence Mann
Paul Whitthorne
Anders Hove
Angela Bassett
Brad Dourif

Plot:
The Critters are back in this supercharged sci-fi space adventure! But these are no ordinary Critters — they're a super strain of genetically engineered mutants designed to take over the universe. This time they're hungry to conquer the galaxy, with an appetite for mankind that's out of this world. Joined by Academy Award® nominees Angela Bassett (Best Actress, WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT, 1983) and Brad Dourif (THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS, Best Supporting Actor, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, 1975), Don Keith Opper and Terrence Mann reprise their popular roles as they battle for survival against the Critters, a nuclear meltdown and the fate of the universe!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one didn't impress me much at all. You know you have a problem when they decide to bring the franchise  to space. This one really starts out slow and boring... I mean you don't even see the critters until you are a half an hour into the movie. Sure things improve a bit once they do show up.... but not enough to really save this movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 33
TV Ep. Count: 14
Other Count: 2
Time Started: 10:15am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »
Title: The Slumber Party Massacre
Year: 1982
Director: Amy Jones
Rating: R
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Michele Michaels
Robin Stille
Michael Villella
Debra Deliso
Andree Honore
Gina Mari

Plot:
When Trish (Michelle Michaels) decides to invite her high school girls' basketball teammates over for a slumber party, she has no idea the night will be ruined by an escaped mental patient with a portable drill in the cult classic The Slumber Party Massacre.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery

My Thoughts:
This movie is much shorter then I was expecting it to be... running at only an hour and 16 minutes. It has some decent killings in this one... and there is a nice amount of T&A for your viewing pleasure. Along with the names mentioned above there is a brief early appearance by Brinke Stevens. Over all I would say it is a good horror movie. I did enjoy it... I guess I would say it is good for what it is... as long as you don't go into it expecting a masterpiece I think you should enjoy it.  But it could have been better. Maybe flesh out the story some more. Possibly give the movie a little more length. But of course at the same time that could possibly make the movie worse as well.

When I bought this set earlier this month it was mainly to get the sequels... as I already had the original release of this one. But thankfully they made it worth it... as there is some new extra features in the collection release. Looks like I can let my original release of this one go.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 34
Time Started: 12:00pm
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
My impressions were mostly like yours on this one. The story is missing a little polishing, we just doesn't had enough background. But I must say that Michael Villella did a great job as the Driller Killer (very methodic acting... just check the way he moves). None of the acting is that great but Robin Stille did a good job in this film (quite sad to know what happened to her in the following years). I've never seen Brinke Stevens as beautifull that she is in this film ;D

Now I hope you will like the next one that is a lot better than this one (but you will have to pass over a big obstacle for you). The third one isn't too bad, I gave him a lesser rating than this one but it's mostly because of a bad editing choice according to me. But I'll let you know what I think after you have watched it...  

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »
Title: Slumber Party Massacre II
Year: 1987
Director: Deborah Brock
Rating: Unrated
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Crystal Bernard
Jennifer Rhodes
Kimberly McArthur
Patrick Lowe
Juliette Cummins

Plot:
The only sane survivor of the first incident, Courtney (Crystal Bernard), dreams of the driller killer returning in the first sequel, Slumber Party Massacre II. She can't help shake the feeling that she and her friends will be viciously tormented by the killer. Her nightmare becomes reality when the killer returns, reincarnated as an evil rocker with a deadly guitar.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Gallery

My Thoughts:
OK... now what to say about this one. In some ways this movie is better then the first one. The storyline is done better... giving us a little more substance to the story. But all the music is way to much for me... as I am (as most of you know) far from a music fan. It was pretty cool to see a young Crystal Bernard in this movie. I used to watch her on Wings all the time. Weighing what was good for me against what was bad for me I decided to rate this one the same as the first one. Though I do think I would have enjoyed it much more then the first one if it wasn't for all the music.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 35
Time Started: 1:45pm
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
Crystal Bernard in a slasher film?  I'm totally disillusioned...  :suicide:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
I knew that you would have an hard times with the music :laugh:
But don't tell me that you didn't find the musical number of the Driller Killer before he killed the Juliette Cummins character awesomelly (is this a word?) crazy :whistle:

Don't worry the last one isn't that much music filled :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2010, 12:12:51 AM »
Title: Slumber Party Massacre III
Year: 1990
Director: Sally Mattison
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1

Stars:
Yan Birch
Brandi Burkett
Hope Marie Carlton
Keely Christian
Maria Claire

Plot:
After a relaxing day at the beach, a group of teens decide to have a slumber party. Their boyfriends predictably show up to scare them, but there is something much scarier lurking in the shadows as the group starts getting attacked by an unknown killer in the second, and last, installment, Slumber Party Massacre III.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Gallery

My Thoughts:
It isn't often I can say this... but I actually liked the 3rd part in the trilogy the best. This one turns out to be my favorite of the 3... as it has a good story... and I really liked how the girls fought back in this one. Some of them may be going down... but they were sure to get a piece of him in the process. I have always liked it when they made the female characters strong women. I also liked who the killer turned out to be in this one as well.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 36
Time Started: 3:30pm
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »
Now that you have seen it...

This is the reason why I rated it lower than the first 2

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »
I know what you are saying... and I do agree. It just wasn't enough for me to rate it lower then what I did.

It was actually a little tough to rate the second one at 3.5 to match the first one :P  but felt there was enough improvement over the way the first one was done to warrant it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2010, 02:27:40 AM »
Title: Caved In: Prehistoric Terror
Year: 2006
Director: Rick Pepin
Rating: R
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Christopher Atkins
Colm Meaney
Angela Featherstone
Monica Birladeanu
David Palffy
Chelan Simmons

Plot:
In the darkness of the world beneath man's feet, an ancient species is about to be awoken. Christopher Atkins, Colm Meaney and Angela Featherstone star in this thrilling tale about an extreme-adventure tour group heading into an abandoned mine in search of a fortune. But, in the caverns underground, some things thrive that should have gone extinct a long time ago.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies that was recently given to me.  Going into this one I wasn't sure what to expect... but as it turns out I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was some things that was a bit hard to get past... like the electricity still working in the mines over 50 years after the minds were abandoned... but I was able to overlook this. Besides... it made it so you could see what was going on very clearly. And be able to clearly see the giant beetle like creatures and the havoc they caused. Because of people getting torn apart by these creatures there is a good amount of gore in this one. So be warned about that if you don't care for gory movies. But this is one I feel good about recommending if you don't mind leaving your brain at the door when you watch a movie.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 37
Time Started: 6:45
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
Some suggestions please...

I am thinking on checking out some movies on On-Demand today... Here is what horror I was able to find that I don't already own. Anything here you would suggest?

- 2001 Maniacs
- 976-EVIL 2
- Baby's Room
- Blood: The Last Vampire
- Blood Crime
- Cabin Fever 2
- Cameron's Closet
- Captivity
- Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
- The Cottage
- Creep
- Deadline
- Demon in My View
- Grace
- The Haunting of Molly Hartley
- Hideaway
- Ju-On
- Killer Pad
- Necessary Evil
- Night of the Creeps
- The Nun
- P2
- Pandorum
- REC
- Seance
- Staunton Hill
- The Stepfather
- Stevie
- Zombie Strippers
- Zombieland
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

- 2001 Maniacs
- Blood: The Last Vampire
- Cabin Fever 2 (first one was good)
- Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (watch it with Brittany...)
- The Cottage (heard good reviews)
- Creep
- Hideaway (the one with jeff Goldblum...? maybe not your cup o' tea)
- Ju-On (YES! but subtitles!)
- Night of the Creeps (you don't own this...?)
- REC (more subtitles, but if you see any, then this!)
- The Stepfather

Must-see films are bold.
- Zombieland

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »
Thanks Achim... I decided to watch another DVD first.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »
Title: Cry_Wolf: Unrated Widescreen
Year: 2005
Director: Jeff Wadlow
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Erica Yates
Julian Morris
Lindy Booth
Jane Beard
Gary Cole
Jared Padalecki

Plot:
When the students at a prestigious prep school spread a hoax email about a serial killer, they start a game of terror and deception that has three rules: avoid suspicion, lie to your friends, and eliminate your enemies. But what starts as a joke soon turns deadly and now they find themselves victims of their own game!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
The Filmmakers' Short Films

My Thoughts:
This is another movie that was recently given to me. After watching the trailer I was anxious to see it. Jared Padalecki (Sam on Supernatural) is in this one... which I always get a kick out of seeing stars from TV Shows I watch in movie roles. I like the game the kids played in the beginning of the movie. All sitting around in a circle... one is  marked as a "liar" and if he is exposed... the one exposing him wins the pot... if he lasts till the end... the liar wins the pot. I enjoyed the movie. Sure it is basically just another teen horror... but I liked it. I especially liked how it ended.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 38
Time Started: 8:15am
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
- Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant