Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 155863 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
Title: Cremains
Year: 2000
Director: Steve Sessions
Rating: NR
Length: 107 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: :
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Dick Dyszel
Eleanor Herman
Rhiannon
Martin Richard Campbell
Chester Delacruz
Debbie Rochon

Plot:
Cremains is a macabre, twisted and sexy horror anthology in the tradition of Tales from the Crypt, Asylum, and The House That Dripped Blood !

A funeral director accused of mixing the ashes of cremated bodies faces interrogation from his sinister captors. He is forced into telling them other frightening, real-life tales of terror and gruesome goings-on that he has collected during his years in the death business. What ensues is a foursome of horrifying stories featuring demented serial killers, lesbian vampires, brutal bondage murders, town sacrifices, and a resurrection gone unspeakably wrong, ending with a creepy little monstrosity called "The Cremainder."

Prepare to descend into the ghastly world of Cremains...where being scared to death will never make you feel so alive.

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
This is one of those extreme low-budget films. It was one of the DVDs that was recently given to me. I expected it to be worse then what it was. Sure it was basically like watching a student film. But I found it entertaining all the same. I liked the final story in this anthology the best. Though it seemed like while the writers had good ideas of each of the stories themselves... they had a bit of trouble getting a decent ending for the most of them.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 25
TV Ep. Count: 12
Other Count: 2
Time Started: 12:00pm
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
Steve Sessions isn't a really good director, but Torment I reviewed last year isn't too bad (not great in any way, but I've seen a lot of movies worst than that). I'm not sure if the film is in The Mortuary of madness set or The Catacomb of Creepshow set :shrug:  

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
The title don't look familiar... so I guess it is in "The Catacomb of Creepshow."
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Title: Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Year: 1993
Director: D.J. MacHale
Length: 22 Min.

Stars:
Eddie Robinson
Melanie Wiesenthal
Harry Standjofski
Aron Tager    
Christopher Heyerdahl

Plot:
A group of kids (the Midnight Society) get together in the woods, and tell ghost stories.

Episode Watched:
Tale of the Midnight Madness
An old movie theater in danger of being shut down is suddenly revived when Dr. Vink shows up with his classic horror movies and begins to attract a larger audience. Things appear to be going fine, that is until the vampire from one of his movies begins to escape from the film and attack real people.

My Thoughts:
Brittany wanted me to watch an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark with her today as she was up to a vampire episode that I never seen before. As much as I love anything to do with Vampires... I quickly agreed. I really liked the make-up job for the Nosferatu like vampire in this episode. It was also a right fun episode. I enjoyed watching it with her.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 25
TV Ep. Count: 13
Time Started: 4:00pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
Title: Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Year: 1981
Director: Frank De Felitta
Length: 97 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Charles Durning
Robert F. Lyons
Claude Earl Jones
Lane Smith
Tonya Crowe
Larry Drake

Plot:
When young Marylee Williams (Tonya Crowe) is found viciously mauled, all hell breaks loose in her small rural town. Officious Postmaster Otis P. Hazelrigg (Charles Durning) leads a gang of bigots in pursuit of the suspect; her mentally challenged friend Bubba Ritter (Larry Drake). Finding him hiding inside a scarecrow, they exact brutal mob "justice"...only to discover a tragic mistake! Now a strange apparition stalks the land seeking each of them out, as the legend of the Scarecrow begins.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
After all the good things I heard about this movie here recently... it was a bit difficult going into it without having high hopes. But thankfully it didn't matter... as I enjoyed every minute of this one. I can't believe I never seen this movie over the years... as it is something I would normally make sure I would see. Of course I was only 12yrs old at the time it originally aired... but I would imagine it has shown since then as well.

The first thing I did when I popped in the DVD is watch the original CBS promo trailer. And wow... did that bring back some memories... as I used to watch a lot of those Saturday Night Movies. So to me while it is just a little thing... I really like having this extra on the disc.

I also enjoyed all the familiar faces in this movie. I really enjoyed Larry Drake for what time he was in this one. And then there was Lane Smith who I enjoyed as Perry White on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. Anyway... as I said... I enjoyed this one very much. I definitely can see myself watching this one again.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 26
Time Started: 5:00pm
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »
Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street
Year: 1984
Director: Wes Craven
Rating: R
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
John Saxon
Ronee Blakley
Heather Langenkamp
Amanda Wyss
Nick Corri
Johnny Depp

Plot:
From modern horror master Wes Craven (Scream, Scream 2) comes a timeless shocker that remains the standard bearer for terror.

Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) is having grisly nightmares. Something monstrous wants to kill her. Meanwhile, her high-school friends, who are having the very same dream, are being slaughtered in their sleep by the hideous fiend of their shared nightmare. When the police ignore her explanation, she herself must confront the killer in his shadowy realm.

Featuring John Saxon (Enter The Dragon) and Johnny Depp in his first starring role and mind-bending special effects, this horror classic gave birth to one of the most infamous undead villains in cinematic history. Reportedly naming Freddy Krueger after a kid who had bullied him in school, writer-director Craven hatches a shock-fest from hell that "goes straight to the heart of terror" (Seattle Times).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
I was going to save this movie for later in the marathon... but after watch the remake recently I jut couldn't shake the desire of watching the original. Now this is more like it... a better, more menacing Freddy. A likable Nancy... and an all around better feel of the movie. This first movie has always been my favorite in the franchise. Matter of fact... I would even say it is one of my favorite horror movies of all time! This has a couple actors in it that I am very familiar with. Of course there is a young Johnny Depp. And then there is Heather Langenkamp... who I remember well as one of the children on the sitcom Just the Ten of Us. While still sarcastic... in this one Freddy Krueger is played a bit more straight... as they didn't add as much comedy to the character as the later ones did.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 27
Time Started: 7:00am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
Title: Child's Play: Chucky's 20th Birthday Edition
Year: 1988
Director: Tom Holland
Rating: R
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Catherine Hicks
Chris Sarandon
Alex Vincent
Brad Dourif
Dinah Manoff
Tommy Swerdlow

Plot:
Experience this pulse-pounding slasher-shocker as never before with this all-new 20th Anniversary Edition! Chucky's back with a new slew of "friends to the end" – including a gripping audio commentary, thrilling behind-the-scenes featurettes and more!

Six-year-old Andy is thrilled when he gets a brand-new, cheery Chucky doll for his birthday. But he quickly discovers that Chucky is possessed by the soul of a notorious serial killer who swiftly begins terrorizing Andy, his ill-fated babysitter and his disbelieving mom. And he doesn't stop there. Proving he's nobody to toy with, the demonic doll schemes to transfer his evil spirit out of its "kid-friendly" container...and into Andy!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Interviews
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
It has been a couple years since I seen this one... so was good to watch again. I really enjoyed it. Sure the plot is a little on the silly side... but what do you expect from a movie that is about a killer doll? Besides... it makes for a fun watch. If by any chance there is someone out there that hasn't already seen this '80s classic... I would recommend checking it out.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 28
Time Started: 9:30am
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »
Don't know wich one it was but I have seen the one on the millitary base (a cadet academy I think) in a theatre and it was a fun time. I was a regular theatre goers when it was affordable and the people behave better, but it's been a while.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »
Title: Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Year: 1993
Director: Ron Oliver
Length: 22 Min.

Stars:
Dominic Zamprogna
Jesse Lavendel
Peter Colvey
Ellen Davi
Carl Alacchi

Plot:
A group of kids (the Midnight Society) get together in the woods, and tell ghost stories.

Episode Watched:
Tale of the Full Moon
An aspiring pet detective investigates his mother's new boyfriend, who he suspects is a werewolf.

My Thoughts:
Another episode Brittany wanted me to see... this time a werewolf episode. I found this one to not be as good as the vampire one I watched with her... but it was fun all the same. Also the make-up for the werewolf wasn't as good. His ears were too big and face looked a little on the weird side. Making him look a bit on the cartoon-ish side.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 28
TV Ep. Count: 14
Time Started: 11:45am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Title: Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman
Year: 2008
Director:
Rating: G
Length: 77 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Plot:
Monster-obsessed Alvin is sure that the mysterious new neighbor is a werewolf, but the fun and frights really begin when theodore starts acting strangely, too! But it was entertaining for what it is.

Extras:
N/A

My Thoughts:
Once again Brittany wanted me to watch one of her DVDs with her. Though I must admit... this one was a little tough for me as I never been a fan of the Chipmunks.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 29
Time Started: 12:30pm
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
as I never been a fan of the Chipmunks.

I wonder why  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
Title: Salem's Lot
Year: 1979
Director: Tobe Hooper
Length: 183 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
David Soul
James Mason
Lance Kerwin
Bonnie Bedelia
Lew Ayres
Julie Cobb

Plot:
With Salem’s Lot, a blood-curdling shocker based on the novel by Stephen King, director Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist) sends the time-honored vampire legend soaring on bat wings into the modern era.

Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house, a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac and the dealer’s mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder). The solid supporting cast of vampire victims and fighters includes Bonnie Bedelia, Lew Ayres, Elisha Cook, Ed Flanders, George Dzundza, Lance Kerwin, Geoffrey Lewis and Marie Windsor. It’s hard to keep the undead down. And so easy to be scared in Salem’s Lot.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. For a movie that is just over 30 years old... this movie has some decent scares in it. I personally haven't been scared from it since I was a kid... but I do remember it would scare my wife every time we watched it. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him in.
   2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

I am really enjoying watching this one again. As for comparing this one to the remake... that is something I don't normally like to do... but sometimes it is just too hard not to. I really like both versions... like them both  a lot! but I think I have to say I enjoy this one the most between the 2. I don't know why... but to me this one is a pure classic when it comes to vampire movies... it is one of the ones to beat!

Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies. Now... please lets see a dvd release of Return to Salem's Lot! It has been so long since I seen the sequel I can't remember anything other then it's existence.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 30
Time Started: 3:30pm
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »
Don't know wich one it was but I have seen the one on the millitary base (a cadet academy I think) in a theatre and it was a fun time. I was a regular theatre goers when it was affordable and the people behave better, but it's been a while.
That's the third film. For a part 3 it's definitely quite enjoyable...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
Title: Critters 2: The Main Course: 4 Film Favorites
Year: 1988
Director: Mick Garris
Rating: PG-13
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Terrence Mann
Don Opper
Cynthia Garris
Scott Grimes
Al Stevenson
Tom Hodges

Plot:
It's been two years since the fiendish Critters first terrorized the town of Grovers Bend and sent the Brown family packing. But the "boy who called Critter," Brad Brown (Scott Grimes), is back... and just in time. Critter eggs have been hatching lethal litters and the bloodthirsty hairballs are eager to partake in their favorite pastime — eating. In no time, the eggs are popping open everywhere — a field full of livestock becomes a gigantic feeding ground, and local residents are disappearing by the mouthful. Fortunately, three bounty hunters from space, Ug, Lee and Charlie, are flying back to eradicate the problem. But can they wipe out the Critters before Grovers Bend is erased from the map? With outstanding special effects, CRITTERS 2 - THE MAIN COURSE is bigger and better — and sure to satisfy everyone's appetite for action, thrills and horror!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Another one from the '80s that I enjoyed. It is a good... and fun (in a silly way) continuance. I had to laugh at the faceless alien that shaped shift into the woman he saw in the playboy centerfold. She even had a big staple in her belly. Of course... just like the first one... this is the type of movie that is no more then mindless fun. Just something to escape from reality in for an hour and a half. I enjoyed this one almost as much as the first.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 31
Time Started: 7:00am
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
Title: Critters 3: You Are What They Eat: 4 Film Favorites
Year: 1991
Director: Kristine Peterson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
John Calvin
Aimee Brooks
JohnnyChristian Cousins
Joseph Cousins

Plot:
Titanic heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio stars in the third and most outrageous installment of the classic cult tale of the infamous Critters. As the fanged, furious furballs viciously invade an L.A. apartment building and sink their teeth into the low-rent tenants, DiCaprio leads the battle to beat back the conniving critters and save the planet. It won't be an easy job, but he's the one person the human race must depend on to destroy these terrifying alien hedgehogs once and for all!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While the series is still enjoyable... for some mindless escapism... this one went a bit downhill for me. This time they are in an apartment complex in the city after stowing away in a camper of a vacationing family. This time around the characters wasn't as likable. Just an average fair this time around.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 32
Time Started: 8:45am
Pete