Author Topic: Under Siege  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Under Siege
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:39 AM »
Under Siege

It's not a job. It's an adventure! Steven Seagal comes aboard and comes on strong in a fireball of a movie from the director of "The Fugitive."

When the USS Missouri welcomes aboard entertainers for the battleship's last voyage, the visitors throw a party. A war party. Led by a rogue CIA operative (Tommy Lee Jones) and a turncoat officer (Gary Busey), they're killer-elite commandos out to hijack the ship's nuclear arsenal. They overpower the crew. Except one man. "I'm just a cook," that man says. But he's a cook with a recipe for action. He's ex-Navy SEAL and decorated combat operative Casey Ryback (Seagal).

All hands on deck, action fans!

My Thoughts

I've seen several of Steven Segal's movies.  I've usually enjoyed them, though the man really isn't that talented of an actor.  This one is my favorite of his movies..and I think the best.

The plot is entertaining even though it isn't the most original.  It is a bit like Die Hard, but that didn't bother me.  There is enough explanation in the movie for why Strannix and Krill are doing what they are doing..and for why Casey is able to deal with the situation almost completely alone.  Things do start off a little slower while everything is set up.  Once Strannix puts his plan in motion, the pace picks up a lot.  There is a lot of action in the movie, including a few well done fights with Segal.  The violence is a little graphic in a few scenes, but it isn't that bad overall. 

There does seem to be an attempt to add a bit of romance between Casey and Jordan that really goes no where..though there is one kiss late in the movie.  I don't think there is chemistry between them, but I'm not really bothered by it either.  Jordan doesn't add a lot to the movie other than sex appeal.  She does get almost naked briefly - probably too briefly for some people ;)

Strannix and Krill are a bit over the top, but they work great as villains.  Strannix is complicated and perhaps a bit unbalanced.  There is an intensity to the character that makes it clear he is willing to do anything to achieve his goal.  He also calls himself RoadRunner and talks about other Looney Tunes characters, almost like he idolizes them or something.  Tommy Lee Jones is wonderful in the part.  I really don't think the character, and as a result the movie, would have worked as well if someone else played Strannix.  Krill is definitely unbalanced and more than likely willing to kill his own mother if it will serve his needs.  Gary Busey plays unhinged really well.

I've lost track of how many times I've seen this one over the years.  It works well as an action movie and I still enjoy it.  It is definitely worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Under Siege

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Under Siege
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not a Seagal fan at all, but this film is a guilty pleasure.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
In the second part he rescues Katherine Heigl. He shouldn't have done that.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
Hey, I thought there was some law that said every Seagal movie title had to consist of 3 words?  :yellowcard:

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »
That's only Fat Seagal.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:52:19 PM »
 :laugh:
His first few did have 3 word titles...I'm thinking this is the first one that didn't.

Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Marked for Death

Halo2

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:55:11 AM »
A quick count shows 11 movies, where he is the main character, that have a 1 or 2 word title.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 06:35:57 PM »
My favorite Segal movie is Executive Decision.  Mainly because
(click to show/hide)

I do enjoy Under Siege.  And I thought Above the Law was a decent story.  The rest of his work goes downhill very fast. 

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
I have to admit, I also enjoyed Exit Wounds
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
I've enjoyed several of his other movies...but I do fully admit none of them are really great.  He does fine with the action stuff, but he doesn't have much acting talent.

Rogmeister

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:52:52 PM »
I have never sought out any of his movies...he just doesn't seem the type to interest me.  But I did like his appearance on The Bonnie Hunt Show this past year.  Of course, the fact he was only on the show for about 10 minutes may have added to my enjoyment.  :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
I missed his appearance on Bonnie Hunt.  The length may be why you liked it.  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:13:19 AM »
Under Siege may be the only Segal movie I have ever seen in its entirety (even at the cinema!). I enjoyed it for what it was, there is lots of action to be one entertained and Tommy Lee Jones' overacted bad guy (pre-Agent M fame) is fun to watch.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »