Author Topic: 2010 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)  (Read 31757 times)

hal9g

Re: 2010 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
I started off yesterday with The Eye.

I'll be watching at least the two Rest Stop movies today.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »
I have the two Rest Stop movies to watch also. But I will have to save those for another day since I am doing TV Movies today.

Have you seen them before Hal? I will be interested in your thoughts on them.  :thumbup:
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »
I have the two Rest Stop movies to watch also. But I will have to save those for another day since I am doing TV Movies today.

Have you seen them before Hal? I will be interested in your thoughts on them.  :thumbup:

No, I've never seen them.  I'll be posting reviews.

hal9g

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »
Review for Rest Stop: Dead Ahead posted.

Rogmeister

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
Wow, I just realized no one is putting actual reviews in this thread...everyone seems to want to have their own personal thread.  Personally, I always liked it when people would share reviews in one thread.  You never knew who was coming next.  I think I'll stick my reviews here anyway...

Rogmeister

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »

The Invisible Man (1933)
Director: James Whale
Cast: Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, Una O'Connor, William Harrigan, E.E. Clive (plus a few "don't blink or you'll miss them" bits for John Carradine and Walter Brennan)

This is based on a novel by early science fiction writer H.G. Wells.  It is about a scientist who discovers a way to turn himself invisible...but he hasn't found an antidote and the chemicals he has given himself are driving him insane and he runs amuck in a British countryside village.  This is probably more science fiction than horror but I still enjoy watching it this time of year as the wintry landscape evokes a similar feel to some other classic scary movies though it doesn't quite reach that level, but Una O'Connor certainly gives us her best screaming fits.  I enjoyed the film a great deal and it's ironic that Claude Rains (in one of his earliest roles) is in the entire film without his face actually being seen...until the final shot. 

I decided to watch this as my first entry in this marathon since the leading lady is Gloria Stuart...who passed away just days ago at the age of 100.  She certainly looks nothing here like she did in her great come-back role as the older Rose in "Titanic".  She is young and vibrant, a perfect leading lady for such an early time.  I watched this via the Legacy Collection of The Invisible Man which includes 5 total films, four Invisible Man movies and one Invisible Woman film.  The picture and sound quality are first-rate and I highly recommend this film.  It's also a very short film...an hour and 11 minutes.  They don't make 'em that short anymore!  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
 :thumbup:

I plan on doing a few days of the old Universal Monster movies through-out the month. :)
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
Review for Rest Stop: Don't Look Back posted.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the reviews Hal! :)
I will go into these not expecting a whole lot. Who knows... maybe I will enjoy them a little more. :)
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2010, 09:51:08 PM »
Thanks for the reviews Hal! :)
I will go into these not expecting a whole lot. Who knows... maybe I will enjoy them a little more. :)

I warned you that this genre was not my cup of tea...so you may love them!   :whistle:

Watching Hostel and Hostel 2 next.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »
I actually already have something else planned for tomorrow. But I will keep them in mind when I have a gore-fest day! :)
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2010, 02:56:18 AM »
Review for Hostel posted.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2010, 07:00:17 AM »
I've posted about what I've watched so far.  Well..almost all.  I did finish watching a disc of Scooby-Doo cartoons.  I'll probably wait and post after I finish all the episodes on that one.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
Where is everybody? Sebastien, Jon, Achim, Emma, Kathy, Antares,... The third days start and except for me, Pete, Marie, Hal and Roger no one of you had posted a single review :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
I was wondering about that a little myself.  I thought a few more were going to take part anyway.