Author Topic: Grumpier Old men  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Grumpier Old men
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
Grumpier Old Men

The more things change, the more they hilariously stay the same in Wabasha, Minnesota. The uncatchable fish named Catfish Hunter grows fatter. The wisecracks, zingers and putdowns pile up like freshly raked leaves. And Grumpy Old Men become grumpier in this delightful sequel.

Grabbing fishing rods and picking up where they left off, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau reel in another winner as Grumpier Old Men. Ann-Margret, Daryl Hannah, Kevin Pollak and Burgess Meredith also return to reprise their roles. And Sophia Loren is the newcomer whose plan to turn the town’s beloved bait shop into a ristorante sends the guys into a tizzy.

My Thoughts

This movie is really entertaining, though it isn't as good as the first one.  The returning characters are still entertaining and likable overall, though a few of them aren't in as much of this movie.

I'm not sure how much time is supposed to have passed since the end of the first movie.  John and Arial are settled into marriage, Melanie and Jacob are planning a wedding with interference from their fathers and John and Max are actually getting along fairly well.  They still sort of bicker, but it isn't as bad as it was.  They are both horrified at the idea of the bait shop being turned into a restaurant, so they work together to sabotage things.  Max and Maria really don't seem to like each other much at all, but they end up starting to date.  More problems crop up, including one that causes the men to return to their feud.  The plot is entertaining even though it isn't that complicated.  Much of what happens is predictable, but that doesn't keep things from being entertaining.

The movie is very funny, especially with some of the things that John and Max do once they start feuding again.  Some of what happens with Maria is also funny.  I do think the humor works well in the movie, though I think the first movie was funnier.  There is more fishing in the movie, though since this one is set in warmer weather, it at least isn't ice fishing.  Only a few of the characters are actually seen fishing, unlike in the first movie when a lot of characters were at least shown where the ice fishing was going on.  There is a minor subplot going on dealing with a huge fish that John and Max have been trying to catch for years.

The relationships are important again.  John and Max's friendship becomes strained again, as do a few other relationships.  There is a developing relationship between Max and Maria that is entertaining.  Melanie and Jacob also have some relationship issues to deal with.  That does cause a bit of complication to what is going on. 

The characters are still very entertaining and likable.  John and Max are wonderfully entertaining.  The cast is really good.  I haven't seen a lot of movies with Sophia Loren, but I think this is pretty much the only comedy I've seen her in. I think she does well with the humor. 

There really aren't any extras on the DVD, which is a bit disappointing.  I really like this one and think it is definitely worth watching even though it isn't as good as the first movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Grumpier Old Men