Author Topic: Beverly Hills Cop  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Beverly Hills Cop
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:26:06 AM »
Beverly Hills Cop

The heat is on in this fast paced action-comedy starring Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley, a street smart Detroit cop tracking down his best friend's killer in Beverly Hills. Axel quickly learns that his wild style doesn't fit in with the Beverly Hills Police Department, which assigns two officers (Judge Reinhold & John Ashton) to make sure things don't get out of hand.

Dragging the stuffy detectives along for the ride, Axel smashes through a huge culture clash in his hilarious, high-speed pursuit of justice.

Featuring cameos by Paul Reiser, Bronson Pinchot and Damon Wayans, Beverly Hills Cop is an exhilarating sidesplitting adventure!

My Thoughts

I've seen this one several times and I still enjoy it.  I do think this is one of Eddie Murphy's better roles.  The plot works well overall and is interesting and entertaining.  The mystery is entertaining, though it could have been a little stronger.  It isn't difficult to figure out which could bother some people.  There is a good blend of action and humor in the movie that works well.  Axel comes up with some unique ways to get out of the situations he gets into in Beverly Hills, and most of those ways are funny.  The way he interacts with people in Beverly Hills is funny too.  The action scenes help keep things moving and interesting.  There is violence in some scenes that isn't that graphic so it shouldn't bother anyone.  There is a lot of swearing, which might bother some people.

There are a couple of extras on the DVD, but I haven't taken the time to check them out. 

This movie has held up very well and I definitely think it is worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Beverly Hills Cop

hal9g

Re: Beverly Hills Cop
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
Personally, I think this is Eddie Murphy's best movie role.

And I loved the musical score!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
I like the music too.  It probably is his best role...before he started going...over board with some stuff like he has in more recent movies.  Or putting on fat suits.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
I really like him in The Golden Child.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:47 AM »
He wasn't bad in that one.  Though I know a lot of people didn't care for that movie.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 05:09:43 AM »
I don't like a lot of his movies, I find his overacting annoying and not really funny... But I appreciate 48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop (the first 2) and The Golden Child (but not that much). For me Coming to America was the beginning of my annoyance with his film.

kahless

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »
Not to forget his worst movies "Meet Dave" and  "Norbit"!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
Norbit was horrible.  I have some of Meet Dave on HBO...not a great movie, but better than Norbit.  Course it wouldn't take much to be better than that mess.

Rogmeister

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
I saw Beverly Hills Cop when it first came out.  I thought it was okay but not all that funny.  On the other hand, I thought The Golden Child was really bad.  I never saw Norbit or Meet Dave.  So I don't seem like an Eddie Murphy hater, I did like Trading Places...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
Trading Places is funny.