Author Topic: Forbidden World  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Forbidden World
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
Forbidden World

On the planet Xarbia, an experimental life-form known as "Subject 20" has been created by an elite group of scientists in hopes of preventing a major galactic food crisis. However, instead of prolonging life, Subject 20 is destroying it, and the man-eating organism poses a double threat because it constantly changes its genetic structure. Bounty hunter Mike Colby is called in to investigate but soon suspects that the scientists are keeping something from him, and he discovers why ... Subject 20 is half-human!

My Thoughts

I'm still not sure if I ever saw any of Corman's movies before.  I know I've seem some lower budget movies with similar plots before, but I just can't remember for sure, even after watching this one.  A few scenes do look somewhat familiar.  After Jimmy started posting about Corman's movies being released this year, I read a little more about some of them.  The more I read, the more interested I got.  So I decided to pick up Forbidden World when I found it on sale at Amazon.

The plot is very thin, but it manges to be entertaining.  The script was written really fast, which is probably part of why the plot isn't stronger.  The movie was also filmed fairly quickly and sets used for Galaxy of Terror were reused for this one.  The first several minutes are a bit confusing with all the images shown.  After that part, things aren't as confusing and it is easy to follow what is going on.  The movie is just focused on the attempts to deal with Subject 20.  I'm thinking a few things that happen are intended to add complications, but they really don't.  Things happen at a fairly fast pace without making things feel rushed.

It is fairly clear that the movie was made with a limited budget.  The sets are fairly simple, with many of them having styrofoam food containers on the walls.  It is an odd look that somehow manages to look sort of futuristic.  The monster changes appearance throughout the movie and the effects for it are done well considering the budget.  I think some of the effects are created with makeup and puppets may have been used as well.  Those things do look good, especially the look of characters after being attacked by the monster.  Some of that is a bit gross looking, but it isn't that extreme.  There are some action scenes, though they mostly involve the monster attacking people.  This isn't an action packed movie, but the action that is in it does help to keep things interesting.  Things do get a bit gory in some parts.  There is a sex scene as well as a scene with two women showering together.  Those scenes don't add anything to what is going on, though some viewers will probably enjoy them.

The characters aren't that developed, but that didn't really bother me.  The women don't seem to be that bright, and they do a few stupid things.  The cast is fine, though the acting isn't exactly that great.

This movie does have issues with the plot, but that doesn't stop it from being a really entertaining movie.  It is cheesy at times, which works for what is going on.  The movie won't appeal to everyone, but I like it.  I'm glad I decided to get it.  It is just a fun, cheesy movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Forbidden World

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidden World
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »
The first several minutes are a bit confusing with all the images shown.
It's because the footages consist for the most part of cut scene from Battle Beyond the Stars. It's the "test" Allan Holzman did to show at Roger Corman he was able to do a movie at a very low cost, Corman was impressed and the result is this film...

Glad you liked it (the contrary would have been less enjoyable, considering that I am responsible of your purchase).
Can't wait to watch it next month ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Forbidden World
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
I knew the footage at the beginning was part of the test done over just a day or two by Holzman.  I can't remember if I had known that it was from that other movie or not.

I really did enjoy it. :)  Since I liked this one, I decided to pick of Galaxy of Terror..and I may try to pick up a few more.