Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Great Outdoors
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »
The Great Outdoors

When an unannounced, uninvited and unwelcome family of fun-loving misfits converge on a lakeside resort to join their relatives for a summer of relaxation, the result is anything but restful in this raucous comedy starring Dan Aykroyd and John Candy.

It's a vacationer's worst nightmare, as wheeler-dealer Aykroyd, his sexually repressed wife and eerie twin daughters "join" the easygoing Candy and his straight-laced clan for a season of "fun" in the sun. Unfortunately, the only thing these two in-laws have in common is their intense dislike for each other. Soon, it's brother-in-law against brother-in-law in an uproarious and hilarious fight to the finish to see which one really knows how to enjoy The Great Outdoors.

My Thoughts

I really enjoy this movie.  The plot is rather simple and predictable, but it still works as a fun, entertaining movie.  It is definitely worth watching, especially for fans of John Candy or Dan Aykroyd. 

Other movies have also dealt with things going wrong on a vacation, so that aspect of the plot isn't that original.  The way things go wrong is more original and ends up making for a very entertaining movie.  I didn't expect a few things that happened.  The movie is pretty funny and it still makes me laugh.  Some of what is done for humor is silly, but it works for the movie.  Candy and Aykroyd both add a lot of funny things to the movie.  There are a few sexual discussions and one situation, but there isn't anything offensive in the movie. 

The characters are entertaining even though they aren't that developed.  Chet and Roman are very different, which sets up a lot of the situations in the movie.  I do like Candy and Aykroyd in the parts.  Annette Benning seems wasted as Kate, Roman's wife.  She doesn't really do anything other than back up Roman or make a few cracks.  I think this was one of her first parts. 

My DVD of the movie doesn't have any extras.

The movie is very entertaining and definitely worth watching, especially for fans of Candy or Aykroyd.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Great Outdoors

Najemikon

Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
Nice review, but you definitely saw something I didn't. I found it very weak. I love those sort of films usually, but this was dull. :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
A few scenes did drag a bit, but I enjoyed the movie overall.